DCS: F-14 Early Access Feature List

Cobra847

Dear All,

On the 13th of March, we launch the F-14 into Early Access!

We’re incredibly nervous and excited to hear your thoughts and to begin this shared journey of Tomcat development as we steam full speed ahead towards full release.

Our goal has been to ship the F-14 in a major feature complete state for Early Access, and we’re incredibly proud to have achieved our goal to do so.

That said, there are some specific items that have been either purposefully deferred until post-EA (due to potential for complications) and/or that we simply were unable to implement in time.

Some of these will be implemented very quickly post release, especially that may be useful in conducting flight operations, while others constitute less important systems that serve merely as a future curiosity and will be added down the line. Most of the items on this list fall into the latter category.

We’d very much like to commit to a timeline in which you will see these features, but due to the uncertainties of release and the potential for new, unexpected issues to arise due to the much wider user base, we’d like to hold off on doing so until things settle in the two weeks post early access release. That will give us a much better picture of where we stand and what to expect, so that we can make an accurate assessment that you can count on.

We hope to adhere to your ideal idea of an Early Access development process, and hope you’ll all stay involved in giving feedback and helping us build the most realistic Tomcat of all time.

Have faith in us as we jump in together!

Without further ado, here’s a non-exhaustive list as of today (few days prior to going Gold):

Visuals:

• AA-1 Interrogator Control Panel.
    : This panel will serve
    no
    purpose in DCS, but it will be missing visually on day 1.

• Ejected Pilot
    : Upon ejection, the Pilot’s will transform into the F-15 pilot in DCS.

• Dynamic Modex Numbers
    : Due to the extreme variance (!!!) in F-14 squadron modex placement, font choice, size and more- we’re still working on implementing this in a performance friendly way.

• In-Cockpit Pilot
    : We know this is a frustrating feature to be missing for those of you in VR, so this is a top priority and you will not be waiting long (that goes for you Viggenites too, we know!).

• LAU-7 / LAU-138
    : Sidewinder adapters on shoulder stations will currently appear as LAU-7 but will behave as LAU-138 (additional chaff available). LAU-7/138 will be selectable in the ME.

Functionality & Systems:

• TWS Auto steering centroid and automatic scan volume controls
    : Allows for steering indication to center of targets selected for AIM-54 engagement and also allows the WCS to control the radar scan volume for maximum target track coverage. This has been implemented some time ago, but due to unresolved issues this might not make it in on Day 1.

• AN/AWG-9 slaved to TCS functionality
    : Allows the radar to be slaved to the TCS lock allowing the radar to lock the TCS target in STT. Of limited use in DCS, and wasn’t used IRL according to SMEs.

• JAM/JET functionality, indication of jam strobes
    Allows the RIO to set at what level a pulse doppler target is jamming at and then display it as a JAM strobe on the TID.

• Improved AIM-54 control
    Allowing for better optimization of lofting and seekerhead modes, such as when to go active and to be fully SARH in STT. This feature is pending DCS API changes for 3rd parties to allow us to more directly control missile behaviour.

• TID, DDD, VDI, HUD
    Some minor indications will be missing at EA. These include, for example, the AVIA display mode and Nav Grid. These are minor and non-critical omissions.

• In Flight Training System.
    Used for in flight crew training (e.g. programs that generate fake target returns on radar). Of limited use in DCS.

• Circuit Breakers.
    We don’t expect to implement a full simulation of every CB in the F-14, but critical and often used ones will be added continuously throughout EA, as well as an expansion of the electrical systems modeling.

• Radar
    Further small enhancements will be added over time and if feasible in the DCS engine. These include sidelobe modelling, returning signal strength trace on DDD (including jamming), clouds/weather and Jet Engine Modulation (JEM)

Missing BITs (Built-In Tests):

BITs serve limited purpose in DCS- but these (and more) missing BITs will be implemented with time:

• DECM BIT.

• WCS BIT Sequences.

• OBC (On-Board Checks)

• LANTIRN IBIT

Missing Systems:

TARPS

This system was always intended to be launched post-EA, and we’re still conceptualizing how deep we want to go.

JESTER

We will continue to improve and add functionality during EA- especially with your feedback!

One significant piece of functionality that we plan to add is JESTER being able to operate the LANTIRN TGP.

Content

• Campaigns
    : As noted in our purchase pages, the two free campaigns will be available post launch.

• Training Missions
    : We will expand the amount of training missions during the course of EA.

• A-6, Forrestal, F-14A
    : We will detail our plans regarding these ASAP. The Forrestal will be priority #1.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Cobra! We're all really looking forward to next week.

A quick question about symbology: the F-14B NATOPS mentions a steering tee that should display on the HUD and VDI, along with an ASE circle that should appear on the VDI once you have a lock.

I haven't seen these in any of the preview videos. Am I missing something? Are they not modeled yet? My first guess was that the NATOPS is for a newer avionics suite than the one Heatblur is modeling, but one of the pilots

in the 1989 Gulf of Sidra shootdown.

EDIT: Jabbers just replied with

yVW45yP.png

Edited by mrkline

Great read as always Cobra, exciting times indeed! Though hopefully the F-14A is going to get some love considering that’s it is not the priority. I personally bought the Tomcat for the -A, so hopefully it isn’t going to be a forgone in the developed of future modules.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

A quick question about symbology: the F-14B NATOPS mentions a steering tee that should display on the HUD and VDI, along with an ASE circle that should appear on the VDI once you have a lock.

I haven't seen these in any of the preview videos. Am I missing something? Are they not modeled yet? My first guess was that the NATOPS is for a newer avionics suite than the one Heatblur is modeling, but one of the pilots

They're in and working!

All there.

Edit: Sniped!

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

Great read as always Cobra, exciting times indeed! Though hopefully the F-14A is going to get some love considering that’s it is not the priority. I personally bought the Tomcat for the -A, so hopefully it isn’t going to be a forgone in the developed of future modules.

We're about to be neck deep in the TF-30!

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

Great news. Thanks for sharing the info with us.

Quick question about Jester: Are y'all implementing some kind of contextual/situational entities in DCS in order to help Jester with choosing which tone of a phrase to speak? I've noticed at times he uses an excited tone followed by a regular toned phrase. I know y'all are still improving Jester so I was just curious. Keep up the great work!

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Great news. Thanks for sharing the info with us.

Quick question about Jester: Are y'all implementing some kind of contextual/situational entities in DCS in order to help Jester with choosing which tone of a phrase to speak? I've noticed at times he uses an excited tone followed by a regular toned phrase. I know y'all are still improving Jester so I was just curious. Keep up the great work!

We'll continue to refine where Jester is "rough around the edges" in EA. There's so much combinations and cases of situations that it's tricky to get it right from the get-go. :)

Hey Cobra, did you miss this for the feature list or did it get dropped?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=140017

Anything not listed on the purchase page is not a feature of the product, in essence.

We dropped the map because of unsuitability of the SDK at the time and we felt it was more prudent to focus on other content (Forrestal, A-6, deck crew, etc.)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

Awesome update!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

@Cobra847 I do not read the most interesting thing: will it be possible from March 13 to fly in 2 on the same aircraft?

CPU i7 9700K@5ghz | COOLER Corsair H100x | MB Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200mhz | GPU MSI RTX 3070 Ti Gaming X Trio | SSD OS Samsung M.2 860 EVO 250GB / SSD DCS 860 Evo 500GB| PSU Antec HCG 850W Gold | SO Win 10 pro 64bit | MONITORS LG 27GL850/BENQ GW2780 | PERIFERICHE GAMING TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind + combat pedals + hydraulic damper | TM MFD Cougar | Logitech DFGT

"Mai discutere con un idiota, ti trascina al suo livello e ti batte con l'esperienza" cit. Oscar Wilde