Upcoming Afghanistan map discussion

shagrat

Upcoming Afghanistan map discussion  

451 members have voted

1. 1. Upcoming Afghanistan map discussion

• East Afghanistan (Nuristan, Kunar, Nangarhar, Khowst) and Pakistan border
    • Southeast Afghanistan around Kabul (Kabul, Wardak, Paktia to Paktika)
    • South Afghanistan (Helmand, Uruzgan, Kandarhar, Zabul)
    • The northern regions (Kunduz, Baglan, Samangan,Balkh)
    • West Afghanistan (Herat, Farah and Nimrus) and east of Iran

A lot would depend on the terrain, I think - in the interests of gameplay. (Sorry for using an ugly word :music_whistling:)

Other than that there are many historical and fictional conflicts that are possible with the area. The Afghan war was a pretty major thing for the Soviet Union - also don't forget all the Russian players and the Russian equipment in the game. Conveniently Mi-24 is also coming out… ?

Depending on which conflict you choose, the equipment and operations will be very different. I'll have to check which valley was the scene of the most heated fighting in the 1980's war. But many battles are documented which can be very interesting for historical scenarios.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

The North-East provinces have the most spectacular mountains towering up to 7.5km. Would easily be the most stunning scenery to fly in. I wonder how the ED technology would scale in a year or two to make a large map like that. They've done a pretty nice job with Iran but this the same on steroids.

It depends on what major cities and borders you want. The whole of North is former Soviet states, Kabul to the East, Kandahar in South, Herat in North-West. Pakistan anywhere towards the South and Iran to the West. Climate/vegetation zones seem to be most varied in the North-East.

Also the direction of the NE-Kabul-East provinces had much fighting in the Soviet-Afghan war and there's some strategic locations like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panjshir_Valley Some sporadic fighting was in the South and West parts while the Mujahideen had more control in the center.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

• 2 months later...
I vote for East Afghanistan with the high mountains of the Hindukusch and the famous Tora Borah area and Bagram air base of course. But I would also love to like the Kunduz area in northern Afghanistan including Mazar e Sharif or southern Afghanistan with its infamous Helmand and Kandahar provinces and the big Kandahar air base. I'm not really interested in western Afghanistan though.

+1 :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

• 2 weeks later...

While I was about to vote on the poll, I stopped a few secs and thought: I'd love an a map of Afghanistan but ... the country is a desert with mountains, just like Nevada. Cannot make my mind on which part I'd like to see modeled.

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

While I was about to vote on the poll, I stopped a few secs and thought: I'd love an a map of Afghanistan but ... the country is a desert with mountains, just like Nevada. Cannot make my mind on which part I'd like to see modeled.
As I mentioned earlier, Afghanistan is as far from a "desert with mountain" as the United States are just Florida Swamps and Texan prairie...

From eastern mountain regions of the Hindukush (western Himalaya) at the Pakistani border and extend to Central Afghanistan, that rival the southern Rocky Mountains ranging from frozen peaks to wooded regions and valleys, lush vegetation and steppe like regions in the north and south somewhat similar to southern europe, to the Helmand river valley (the Green Zone) where they grow most of the fruits, poppies with dense vegetation and the Dasht-e-margo desert... all in one place. If they model the Indian ocean and parts of Pakistan, we could have great joint operations.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

and the Dasht-e-margo desert... all in one place. If they model the Indian ocean and parts of Pakistan, we could have great joint operations.

Ahh, the Dasht-e-Margo, otherwise known as the GAFA :laugh:

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see and AFG Map, I too did the Uncle Sams, Paid vacation to the Stan 2x, But my Goes were RC South Mostly( Lash,Kajaki,Marjah,TK, and the wonderful desert oasis of Panjwai ;0) and A stint in RC West Chasing IRG running for their Lives back to Iran and Money runners for weapons). Farah,Herat are flat with some Mountain. NNTR looks like it. Nimruz is just a Dirt parking lot. Shindand AB in Heart was Massive. Farah and QeNw had small fields. Ghor was Mountains but high up. So I would say RC West is out as like I sad NTTR looks same. But I would Go South or NE. And Plauge Your statement is a No shitter. We Needed CAS in the worst way one day in Kajaki and ended up Catching some Belgian F-16's on way back to KAF. and they hooked us up. Yet Bastion wouldn't even help us. and Leeathneck said assests were tied up.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Would definitely look forward to RC East (Nangahar, Kunar, Nuristan) for the high mountains and the forests and also Kandahar and Helmand Province. Served in both areas and the terrain is vastly different. Anywhere along the Paki border is good. Iran border, hmmm interesting future combat options too.

TI-84 graphics calculator (overclocked) 24 KB RAM

Definetely the eastern and southeastern part. That's where the heaviest fighting took (and still takes) place - in russian times and since 2001. Landscape has great variety: mountains, snow, large forests, desert, deep canyons in Paktika and also some medium sized cities as Jalalabad and Khowst. Great would be also the inclusion of the Tribal Areas of Pakistan, where some of the real bad guys are. The theatre would offer great opportunities for the upcoming MI-24, the MI-8, the whole bunch of fighters from MiG 21 to A-10 and F-16. Also for some really awesome Special Ops which were conducted especially in this region throughout the whole time. So pleeeeeease give us a kind of SpecOps Helo as MH-60 or another capable western medium sized helo (UH-60, Sea King, Puma...)

Modules: MI-8, KA-50, Huey, AJS-37 Viggen, F-16, AH-64D, (OH-58D 😬)

Wishlist: MH-60 Blackhawk, Afghanistan Map

Gear: Virpil Collective with UH-60 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick, 15 cm Extension (Sahaj), TM TPR Pedals

• 1 month later...
I'm not buying any map sadly, there is nothing to do in them except engaging random people in MP or killing hand placed targets on the ground.

What do you do in DCS, if I may ask?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

What do you do in DCS, if I may ask?
I understand him. The majority of campaigns and single missions, both professionally and community made, are for Caucasus. Very little is made for other maps. And the vast majority of players are mainly SP, not MP, me included (have been confirmed by ED).

I quite often regret buying other maps for this reason, not so fun playing self made missions (on basically completely flat terrain, too) where you know everything that is going to happen and where all enemies are (and not much of a point coming up with a good storyline for the same reason).

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

@Holton181: There are lots of great Red Flag missions and campaigns which made me buy Nevada map and I don't regret it. It made me a better pilot jumping into USAF procedures and NTTR world - I learned a lot. I'm going to buy PG too as I heard of great missions waiting for me there. Also you can find missions with random turns of events so everything is possible.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I'm not buying any map sadly, there is nothing to do in them except engaging random people in MP or killing hand placed targets on the ground.
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com user files section... dozens of missions, especially multiplayer that use dynamic scripts and randomization.

Same website, ED Shop... campaigns, with complex, entertaining story driven missions.

And if you still need more, the mission editor and scripting engine, combined with something like MOOSE for DCS are powerful tools to taylor your individual randomized mission... if you are willing to learn a bit.

For quick and easy randomized missions there is actually a mission generator in the main menu, allowing for creation of a typical blue vs. red with a couple adjustable parameters. The created random mission allows for optional tweaking and editing in the Mission Editor...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Any news about the Afghanistan map, guys???

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5