FM Radio homing

Topgun505

As part of the training mission I am developing I have some downed units across the map which are broadcasting signals for the Mi-8 to find them using the ARK-UD, and for the UH-1 to find them using the FM radio homing.

The Mi-8 works fine. But I can't seem to get the FM homing to reliably work for the Huey.

The wattage should be plenty on the beacon. The helos start only 10-15 miles away. I've got the mode knob set to HOME and the freq dialed in.

Is there anything else needed? (Or does anyone know if that is currently bugged?)

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for that solution also. I've watched a couple of videos on how to set it up, but it's not working. The videos are kind of dated, so I figured things have changed, as they have for many items in the mission editor. I seem to be having more issues with the helos than any other modules in the mission editor. The videos showed to set it up just like you said it. Troops transmit on FM channel and Huey homes on same frequency.

I am using this all the time in my scenarios and it works perfect:

Set the FM radio to desired Freq, switch to HOME and keep an eye on this LOWER instrument looking like an ILS approach thing :)

It should switch from off -> on. see below.

1st: No signal @ FM40.6

2nd: receiving heading @ FM40.5

Edit:

I attached a simple basic mission, where u can see, how to set it up.

Two APC sending on FM 30.1 and FM 30.2.

Edit2:

I updated the mission. The right APC now loops waypoints and sends all the time a morse code message. Without restart @WP 0. Freq set to FM. Now, you can hear them both.

I added the WAV-File in a zip for playing around with.

Screen_180923_124706.thumb.jpg.7f641e29b08f4ef1f2711590b4dea057.jpg

Screen_180923_124717.thumb.jpg.c5e98453e15734b6a5d02d4ad134c9f3.jpg

UH-1H Homing Example.miz

MixDownPiepPiepRausch.zip

Edited by Vannipo

Took a break from this to work on other aspects of the mission. Back now.

Ok so I have 3 beacon locations.

#1 is a FARP. It has a zone over it which broadcasts two signals using a script

The first signal is a 114.166 on FM @ 1000 Watts which is for one of the channels on the ARK-UD on the Mi-8. That signal works fine.

The second signal is a 50.4 on FM @ 1000 Watts which is for the UH-1H FM radio homing. That signal does NOT work.

#2 is around my uncontested infantry extraction mission which has a zone over it which broadcasts two signals using a script.

The first signal is a 114.333 on FM @ 1000 Watts which is for one of the channels on the ARK-UD for the Mi-8. That signal works fine.

The second signal is a 50.3 on FM @ 1000 Watts which is for the UH-1H FM radio homing. That signal does NOT work.

#3 is around my contested infantry extraction mission which has a zone over it which broadcasts two signals using a script.

The first signal is a 114.583 on FM @ 1000 Watts which is for one of the channels on the ARK-UD for the Mi-8. That signal works fine.

The second signal is a 50.2 on FM @ 1000 Watts which is for the UH-1H FM radio homing. That signal DOES work.

I can't see any significant difference in how all of those 3 sets are set up. The 3rd one which is working is FARTHER than the other two which fail so I don't think it is a signal strength issue.

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

Hi!I do believe FM homing in the huey is a little buggy at times. is this for a single or multiplayer mission? I can have FM homing working perfectly in a single player mission. However I have seen some issues with FM Radio homing when playing in a multiplayer missions. For me in multiplayer I have setup a trigger to transmit from a zone within the editor to get it to work correctly....and hell even then its hit or miss sometimes.

Coming Soon...
The Fraternity Returns : https://thefraternitysim.com/

• 1 month later...

Problem resolved. Switched over to transmittal directly from a unit instead of by zone in the mission editor and it works ok now. And may have found a DCS bug in the process.

Topgun505

Hey Guys hope it is ok to jump into the thread here. Very new to the Huey and trying to learn FM Nav (wll all Nav). I was having a problem in my own missions with the FM beacon so I trine Vannipo mission from above. No problem at all, jump into the Huey, flip to Home, dial in freq.

Opened my mission again and setup checked the setup and it was just like the setup in Vannipo mission.

Gave up on that and decided to do the built in Stray Eagle mission. I never get to home on the set FM beacon in this mission either. I have tried setting it on the pad before I leave, I have tried setting in the air on route. Nothing, it never homes.

Not sure what else to try.

Hi guys I would appreciate some support on this subject if you can provide it.

We are running a Naval multiplayer campaing withn our squadron and we badly need to be able to set some kind of radiomagnetic navigation system for the UH to locate and operate from ships in the open waters.

Whiile I have managed to create FM homming beacons that work nicely in single player by adding an AI helicopter with no fuel on a ship deck and with wp properties to generate a radio transmision in a loop, this does not work for the clients only for the host.

I need to have a system where our helo pilots could steer to the ships either using FM homming, ADF or even VOR. Does not need to be real life realistic but something that works in DCS multiplayer and with moving ships.

Have you found any way to create a radioeletric signal that could be received and used to track a moving ship in a DCS multiplayer enviroment by clients?

2 suggestions for you, Furia:

1. Have an extra ship with an uncotrollable Huey transmitting on the FM band (30-75.95MHz) like shown in Vannipos mission, and use the AN/ARC-131 fm radio set/course deviation indicator

2. Same ship/helo setup, but have the Huey transmit on the lower AM band (190-1750KHz), and use the AN/ARN-83 ADF set/ radio compass.

Would be nice if ME let us make the ships themselves transmit "homing beacons", like every other unit type can. Same with switch/go to waypoint.

'Paws

Edited by Pawsie

That did it!! It worked!! In Multiplayer!!!

Thanks Pawsie and thanks Vannipos!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I have used the example for the moving vehicle from Vannipos and it works real good.

We just tested it on a multiplayer scenario and 5 different pilots could navigate using the ADF and FM homming beacions created.

This is really helpful.

Thanks again!!

Tbh, I haven't really played around with this stuff much. I just read people had problems with radio nav, so I decided to try it. I'm kinda weird that way.

I'm more of a leisure pilot. I make sandboxes for me and a friend to play around in. These sandboxes tend to get big: we want all the birds available, we want ground targets, play around with triggers etc. My PG sandbox has some of those guys hidden around, so we can test radio navigation/homing. Haven't tested in mp, but works most of the time in sp.

I am starting to suspect, however, that the larger the mission, the higher the chance of repeating transmissions for navigation, those soldiers waiting for airlift etc just sort of times out - seems to happen to those soldiers I have set up transmitting on fm band, and waiting for airlift.

As to why the Vannipos way works and the others don't...I dunno, because like I said - I just started fiddling with it myself

'Paws

Yeah, won't matter how big or small your mission is. I have messed with radio stuff with only a couple of units and the radio. Buggy as all hell in MP. Usually works fine in SP.

Gonna have to see what Vannipos is doing in detail one of these days.

Ah, wait a minute, is this all within the ME? I usually mess around only in the scripting environment. Will have to see if the same thing can be applied there but my guess is NOT!!!

Tbh, I haven't really played around with this stuff much. I just read people had problems with radio nav, so I decided to try it. I'm kinda weird that way.

I'm more of a leisure pilot. I make sandboxes for me and a friend to play around in. These sandboxes tend to get big: we want all the birds available, we want ground targets, play around with triggers etc. My PG sandbox has some of those guys hidden around, so we can test radio navigation/homing. Haven't tested in mp, but works most of the time in sp.

I am starting to suspect, however, that the larger the mission, the higher the chance of repeating transmissions for navigation, those soldiers waiting for airlift etc just sort of times out - seems to happen to those soldiers I have set up transmitting on fm band, and waiting for airlift.

As to why the Vannipos way works and the others don't...I dunno, because like I said - I just started fiddling with it myself

'Paws

Edited by Delta99

By chance, I had my first chance of trying this with a friend a few days back. I picked up the beacons, he did not. Not quite sure if the thing bugged out, or if my friend did it correctly - it was his first time turning any of those switches :music_whistling:

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind my piggy-backing on this thread. I've run into a small problem with the FM homing radio, and I'm not sure whether it's a bug, or something I'm not understanding, or doing properly.

I tune in a beacon, say 40.50 (in the SP Elbrus Rescue Mission), and I'm receiving the tone. As soon as I use a Comms option like "Request Start-Up, or Request Take-off, or even a "Request Azimuth" while enroute) the homing radio stops working. The gauge with the homing needles shows two yellow bars (ie. no signal), the audible homing signal goes away, and even powering off all the radios and turning them back on again doesn't fix the problem.

I'm not aware of any logical reason why speaking to ATC would break FM homing as (theoretically), they're all separate radios. At worst, I could imagine that the FM radio might need to flip from "Home" to "TR" to use VHF Comms, but that switch doesn't move, and once Comms are used at all, FM homing becomes entirely inoperable for the rest of the flight.

Any light that can be shed on this issue would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind my piggy-backing on this thread. I've run into a small problem with the FM homing radio, and I'm not sure whether it's a bug, or something I'm not understanding, or doing properly.

I tune in a beacon, say 40.50 (in the SP Elbrus Rescue Mission), and I'm receiving the tone. As soon as I use a Comms option like "Request Start-Up, or Request Take-off, or even a "Request Azimuth" while enroute) the homing radio stops working. The gauge with the homing needles shows two yellow bars (ie. no signal), the audible homing signal goes away, and even powering off all the radios and turning them back on again doesn't fix the problem.

I'm not aware of any logical reason why speaking to ATC would break FM homing as (theoretically), they're all separate radios. At worst, I could imagine that the FM radio might need to flip from "Home" to "TR" to use VHF Comms, but that switch doesn't move, and once Comms are used at all, FM homing becomes entirely inoperable for the rest of the flight.

Any light that can be shed on this issue would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ill try to test this out this afternoon to try to replicate. This hasnt been a problem for me before.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

• 3 weeks later...