Radar elevation HOTAS

Couldn't find any info on a search, apologies in advance if it's a dumb question..

If I have a spring loaded antenna elevation control on my throttle (ie. Like in a hornet where the wheel always returns to centre), how can I map this correctly to a module like F15, or eventually FA18? At the moment I have to hold the wheel in place to maintain a certain elevation, and as soon as I let go the cursor altitudes on the B-scope return to their neutral point...it needs to maintain the elevation when the wheel is released.

I hope this question making sense!

• 3 weeks later...

What throttle is it. Might have a better chance at someone being able to help if we know what we're dealing with.

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Depending on your hardware and programming opportunities the best solution is probably a "relative axis." With a relative axis the output is held in memory and is adjusted higher or lower proportional to how far from neutral the wheel is placed.

The hardware is an old Hornet training aid (I was quite lucky to score it). It was used by avionics personnel before being disposed of.

This also means I don't use Target software, at the moment Im using Joy2Key but its very basic. Tried to use Joystick Gremlin but couldn't figure it out. Where could I program a 'relative axis?'

Thanks for the help btw

Edited by Anonymous User

For a "non brand" hardware the natural choice is Joystick Gremlin (A kind of universal TARGET) or maybe UJR. Don't know if any support "relative axis" function...

You can talk with Joystick Gremlin developer in Reddit/HOTAS, is the user WhiteMagic_

EDIT - No, tehy answer that are not "relative axis" in Joystick Gremlin: https://www.reddit.com/user/WhiteMagic_

With Joy2key - no relative axis function, what can be done is set the "wheel" like a momentary switch, pressing the keys mapped in game for Radar Up/Down. Similar a use a HAT.

Or modify the hardware, removing the spring for recenter axis.

Edited by Sokol1_br

The hardware is an old Hornet training aid (I was quite lucky to score it). It was used by avionics personnel before being disposed of.

This also means I don't use Target software, at the moment Im using Joy2Key but its very basic. Tried to use Joystick Gremlin but couldn't figure it out. Where could I program a 'relative axis?'

Thanks for the help btw

Joy2Key cannot produce any joystick outputs because it only emulates a mouse and keyboard. To make a joy2key keyboard output find which Stick1:← type control highlights green when you make your axis input on the device.

You might have to set Options>Show/Hide Buttons>Stick/POV>Show all axes (8 way + POV x 4) such that all possible inputs are recognized.

Assign a keyboard key to that input direction. Repeat with the other direction a different keyboard key. Then assign those keyboard keys to increase/decrease antenna elevation when the axis is beyond X% deflected from center. It won't be proportional control (not faster or slower) but it will control it.