DCS 2.5 and ReShade question - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
blueskunk

Reputation power: 0
blueskunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DCS 2.5 and ReShade question

https://reshade.me/

i read a lot about it and tried many things but cant get it to work.

question 1: can anyone post a step by step guide to the install process? what i found on their website and on the forum really confuses me. some of the advice/discussions also is probably already outdated.

question 2: can someone please post screenshots where in the dcs main folder the reshade files/folders are supposed to end up?

question 3: does reshade work in vr or not?

thanx a bunch
blueskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
finch

Reputation power: 2
finch will become famous soon enoughfinch will become famous soon enough

I would suggest to don't mess with reshade and wait a fix from ED
finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Art-J
Veteran

Reputation power: 18
Art-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of lightArt-J is a glorious beacon of light

^ Errr... It's ED vs colours and antialiasing, so, based on previous experiences, he will probably have to wait months if not a year or two... .

@Blueskunk - all Reshade stuff should end up in the DCSwhatever\Bin folder - these will be dxgi.dll and dxgi.ini files, plus "reshade-shaders" folder with two subfolders and some gfx filter files in it. I seem to recall If you run ReShade installer and point it to dcs.exe as instructed (it sits in the bin as well), that's exactly the folder and file structure you should end up with. Also, at some point the installer asks you which effect filters you would like to download, doesn't it? Tick all the boxes for a start and off you go.

If the installation part went OK, you should notice a ReShade grey command console bar popping up temporarily on top of the screen during the first game launch. If it doesn't you did something wrong. Then, when the game runs, hit Shift F2 to open ReShade configuration window and start tinkering with it. Mind you, if it was a total clean install, the program will not do anything, because you haven't created your profile for it yet.

You can go through tutorial on this ShiftF2 window to create your own profile, or you can download any profiles people post on this forum (files with .ini extension), place them in the bin folder as well, then select them in the config window. Browse through the ShiftF2 window, the tabs are self-explainatory, and make sure that folder paths are correct ([...]DCS\Bin\ and [...]DCS\Bin\Rehsade Shaders\), though I think they already should be if you did manual installation yourself as described above. I put emphasis on this aspect, because I remember how I downloaded someone else's JSGME package with ReShade and filters in it, and wondered why it wouldn't work on my PC - well, the guy typed in his folder paths, which were obviously different than mine, so surely that couldn't have worked! I have a feeling that might by the source of your problems as well.

One last thing, the ReShade can work in "configuration mode" (where you can change all parameters on the fly whenever you want, but it's more resource hungry!), or in "performance mode" (where you can't change parameters anymore, but it's less resource hungry), so don't forget to switch from config to performance after you're done with tweaking things! You do it by clicking a dedicated button in configuration window as well.

Last edited by Art-J; 02-13-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Art-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Snacko

Reputation power: 14
Snacko has a spectacular aura aboutSnacko has a spectacular aura aboutSnacko has a spectacular aura aboutSnacko has a spectacular aura aboutSnacko has a spectacular aura about

I have Reshade 3.1.1 working fine in 2.5.

It crashes VR, so I don't use it for that. But I think it used to work in VR a while ago. But I am not sure..

I made it into a JSGME mod so it's easy to install and remove. I can post my mod if you want..

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -
-- Thread -- ♥ Download
Snacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #5
=Buckeye=

Reputation power: 12
=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice=Buckeye= is just really nice

It used to launch just fine running in DCS, but it never actually affected the picture in the HMD...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit:
Oculus Rift CV1 | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | JetSeat SE | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog HOTAS + 15cm Black Extension w/ Red Spring by Sahaj | Dell 34" Curved UW 3440x1440 | ASUS ROG Strix Gaming OC 1080Ti | i7-4790K @ 4.7ghz | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB | (x2) Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB | Steelcase Leap V2 | Philips Fidelio X1

Soon™:
VKB HOTAS (waiting for TECS release)
=Buckeye= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
mac22

mac22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just installed reshade 3.1.1 for 2.5 - can anyway suggest (link please) some presets that work well with 2.5?
mac22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:02 AM   #7
Snacko

Snacko has a spectacular aura aboutSnacko has a spectacular aura aboutSnacko has a spectacular aura aboutSnacko has a spectacular aura aboutSnacko has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac22 View Post
Just installed reshade 3.1.1 for 2.5 - can anyway suggest (link please) some presets that work well with 2.5?
Here's my settings .ini file for Reshade 3.1.1. Remember to set Reshade on Performance mode. I didn't colorize it too much because dark blacks and light whites get blown out to easily.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Caucasus Map Colorized.rar (3.1 KB, 24 views)

-- Thread -- ♥ Download
Old 02-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #8
Goa

Goa is infamous around these partsGoa is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snacko View Post
I have Reshade 3.1.1 working fine in 2.5.

It crashes VR, so I don't use it for that. But I think it used to work in VR a while ago. But I am not sure..

I made it into a JSGME mod so it's easy to install and remove. I can post my mod if you want..
yES Please post it
Goa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #9
Zabuza

Reputation power: 7
Zabuza is a jewel in the roughZabuza is a jewel in the roughZabuza is a jewel in the roughZabuza is a jewel in the roughZabuza is a jewel in the roughZabuza is a jewel in the rough

I always used it prior to 2.5, mainly to increase gamma and saturation in general.

However, with 2.5, this is obsolete now if you only plan to use it for that purpose (saturation has increased and there's a gamma slider in the options now). Of course it offers some additional filter and options too.
Zabuza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #10
Snacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa View Post
yES Please post it
Here you are. This is my JSGME ReShade 3.1.1. I have just tweaked the graphics a little bit to make it brighter a little more contrast without blowing out the whites and blacks.

The hotkeys are Ctrl+Tab to open the window. And Shift+Tab to enable/disable the effects.

You will need to change the Effects and Textures paths for your system in the dxgi.ini(or in the user Settings window).

I have removed the shader files that I am not using from the '\reshade-shaders\Shaders' folder, and backed them up to '\reshade-shaders\Shaders\ALL Shaders BACKUP'. This makes Reshade load much faster. You can copy them back if you want to use them...
Attached Files
File Type: rar ReShade 3.1.1 Dx10+.rar (8.22 MB, 5 views)

-- Thread -- ♥ Download