Question about hornet's ILS system - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #61
drPhibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by G B View Post
Can you tell me where those are in the US? I know overseas there are some places, but where in the US? Because there are definitely NOT “lots” of those.

I would assume that he's referring to airports without either a PAR or ASR, not areas without radar surveillance of controlled airspace outside the terminal area.
drPhibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:35 PM   #62
G B

Quote:
Originally Posted by drPhibes View Post
I would assume that he's referring to airports without either a PAR or ASR, not areas without radar surveillance of controlled airspace outside the terminal area.
I believe he is talking about places without surveillance radar because he mentioned it in the context of needing to do full Approach procedures and procedure turns, as opposed to getting vectors (which you can only do in a surveillance radar environment).
G B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:01 PM   #63
GoshawkBall

I'll take vectors to the ILS over the PAR 9/10 times. Most of the time you're backing the PAR up with the ILS anyway if your A/C has the capability. Plus the PAR doesn't get you any lower then the ILS due to the CNAF 3710 single pilot absolute minimums.
GoshawkBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #64
Lex Talionis

The par can be used when navigation instruments are degraded, EPs etc. Or simply used as a "pilot relief" approach given another *brain* is QAing your flying in real time.

This changed a bit if i was leading a section as it help to have each aircraft tuned to the ILS for SA if anyone went "blind".

Each approach has their place.

Technique: if i ever needed a quick approach and was not ready for shooting one, and needed to expedite, if the PAR was available, "request PAR to active runway, full stop". No digging for approach plates, setting up a system, just fly what they tell me.

This was the "go to" philosophy when i was in the fleet.

It is interesting to see preferences change between peer groups. And what new aviators choose to take away from flight school.

.... not trying to validate any one over the other

Last edited by Lex Talionis; 05-16-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Lex Talionis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #65
oldpop

Lex, we agree again
oldpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #66
G B

Oldpop, come join me on Discord with Lex. Would love to continue this discussion there:

https://discord.gg/NkDtbt
G B is offline   Reply With Quote