Hornet JDAM tutorial. - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-01-2019, 03:50 AM   #1
Cellvictor

Default Hornet JDAM tutorial.

A 27min in-depth look at the new(ish) Hornet JDAMs for both mission makers and pilots.

Any inaccuracies or suggestions, please let me know.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:23 AM   #2
Weasel

Hello Cellvictor

1000 thanks for this great tutorial. You answered all of my questions. I was very confused when I watched all others tutorials because it was unclear for me how to get the right coordinates of the targets and which settings (MGRS) I have to make in DCSW under MISC.

I really like you speak rather slowly so it makes it easier for me to understand. I also like Wags tutorials but sometimes it is quite dificil for me to follow him

Just subscribed your channel and looking forward to your next tutorials

Cheers
Weasel
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #3
Flagrum
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellvictor View Post
Any inaccuracies or suggestions, please let me know.
I think, you got the TERM settings wrong. As I understood your video, you set it up to match your (aircrafts) planned approach the targets. But afaik the settings are supposed to tell the weapon how it shall approach the target.

That means, you can specifiy that the bomb should drop right on top of it (90°), or from the side (i.e. 45°). Also the heading is supposed to tell the weapon, from which direction it shall hit the target (if ANG is less than 90° ofc). Same for the speed - shall the bomb penetrate as far as possible or not? All these parameters are of course set to sensible values - makes no sense to set a desired speed of, i.e., 5 kts or so.^^

And yes, "sensible parameters" can also mean, that you set an attack heading reciprocal to your aircraft inbound heading (i.e. bomb hits the TGT from behind). But for that, the bomb will have to maneuver quite a lot and will lose a lot of energy - so the optimal drop zone will be much smaller than usual.
In an effort to be more transparent and consistent in how forum warnings and posting suspensions are issued, we are starting new guidelines today. We hope that this will remove any mystery on this subject. (...) Most of all, we want them to be fair, clear and accountable.
A man with humor!
Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
Cellvictor

I can certainly concede mistaken information as sometimes this is not clear when using others sources particularly when the NTRP 3-22.2-FA18A-D manual seems to be unavailable.

[EDIT] I've just had a guy comment on the vid that the TERM parameters don't need to be entered in, and the JDAM will still work - anyone confirm this?

Last edited by Cellvictor; 05-02-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Cellvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
basto40

Many thanks for your help...This is usefull.
basto40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
Sierra99
Campaign Testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellvictor View Post
I can certainly concede mistaken information as sometimes this is not clear when using others sources particularly when the NTRP 3-22.2-FA18A-D manual seems to be unavailable.

[EDIT] I've just had a guy comment on the vid that the TERM parameters don't need to be entered in, and the JDAM will still work - anyone confirm this?
Yes. The only time I specify is if I'm dropping on a target in or around objects / scenery that could wind up between the bomb and the target causing the bomb to detonate prematurely.

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs x3, Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.
Sierra99 is offline   Reply With Quote