The key to zhe Gazelle - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #11
kotor633

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHPL View Post

it will be not unlikely that there are also some Mi-8 Videos produced in 2019.
kotor633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:39 AM   #12
FragBum+
Posting Rights Revoked

@CHPL

For me some of the problems most people have is the control of the Gazelle using a table mounted joystick with centering, as you know the Gazelles cyclic is very sensitive and centric in is operation. So a lot of the fine control occurs in the center range of the joystick with all the associated forces to overcome.

Using a table mounted joystick was for me very difficult as by time you overcome the mechanical center detent, you have likely over corrected and thus start Pilot Induced Oscillation in this situation use of saturation and some form of support for the wrist really helped but it's not ideal.

For most people I think it's this initial experience that sets the user experience for some people and hence maybe they pick up on "The Flight Model" arguments and use this as their rationale, incorrectly implying "if I can't control the Gazelle" it must be the flight model and not the input controls.

Also keep in mind the current flight model is so much better then it was when it first came out, the team at PC have done a great job so far and I feel some people do not appreciate what has changed.

Oh nice video BTW it's what I have been pushing for some time especially for new Gazelle sim pilots.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:10 PM   #13
SnowTiger

I agree with FragBum that the Gazelle is actually quite easy to fly once you get the hang of it.

I started in the Huey which was a huge help when it came to the Gazelle's flight characteristics.

I rarely move my stick/cyclic more than maybe 1 inch in any direction EVER.
Most of the time I rely solely on the Trim to fly with very small adjustment inputs with the stick/cyclic when necessary.
The only time I am flying and relying on the stick alone is when I have to do some "hotdogging" type flying. Even then, I set my trim for speed and then steer as need be.

BTW - I have adjusted my Y Saturation to 80% and have a Deadzone of 3 for the Center Detente. With that minimal deadzone, I have very smooth, deliberate flights.

Now if only PolyChop would Fix the Issues !
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...68#post3852868
Old 05-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #14
mkiii

Thanks for these tips CHPL - they make handling this thing much more manageable without taking away too much from the liveliness - at least on my warthog setup. I have also added a curve to that - and it works for me.

When I first got a DCS chopper (B.S.), I used a Saitek X52 Pro which had much looser springs - and tbh, that was a lot better for fine control of rotary a/c IMO, but most modulse I have are fixed wing - so WH it is.
mkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #15
whitehot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragBum View Post
@CHPL

For most people I think it's this initial experience that sets the user experience for some people and hence maybe they pick up on "The Flight Model" arguments and use this as their rationale, incorrectly implying "if I can't control the Gazelle" it must be the flight model and not the input controls.
After some initial adjustement I i've learnt to control this helicopter as good as with the others, i can't say i'm dissatisfied with the result. What has always bothered me, it's a sensation of "low res" of the flight model, like the tables from which is formed contain a small amount of values.

this translates imo in unrealistic transition phases. Another impression i've got after flying it for some hours, is that the collective variation effects on pitch/roll/yaw are way too linear and inconsistent.

Under this respect, helis like the Hip, or especially the Huey, have a very recognizable reaction to, for ex., an abrupt increase in torque. This fm instead, seems almost to be "missing" that part.

Try putting the heli at a slight roll angle, then quickly (or slowly) increase collective.
I mean, what happens doesn't seem realistic to me, it remembers me of the behavior of old DOS flightsims. I'm not saying that the true gazelle can't be like this at all, but the impression that the fm is missing some data in that department is heavy.

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER
whitehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
FragBum+
Posting Rights Revoked

I'd like to discuss this in more depth I'm away from home ATM but yes even perhaps in a separate thread.

I wasn't saying it's perfect and understand that the team are reviewing the FM.

Agree large increase in collective gives torque warning but shouldn't that cause rotor RPM to drop?
Also auto-rotate your supposed to watch rotor RPM and keep it in check right.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #17
Sephyrius

Also finding the Gazelle easy to fly. But assuming that the FM actually is accurate, the AP/SAS system and its light weight apparently makes it so simple to fly and unaffected by phenomena (and practically cant be disabled to see if the FM and AP counteract things or just pretends that it doesn't exist because of lack of data) that it feels just like flying in the likes of low fidelity sims such as Arma 3 or War Thunder.

Which would then mean that its simply a wholly uninteresting module both in terms of flight characteristics and (lack of) systems.
Sephyrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #18
FragBum+
Posting Rights Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephyrius View Post
Also finding the Gazelle easy to fly. But assuming that the FM actually is accurate, the AP/SAS system and its light weight apparently makes it so simple to fly and unaffected by phenomena (and practically cant be disabled to see if the FM and AP counteract things or just pretends that it doesn't exist because of lack of data) that it feels just like flying in the likes of low fidelity sims such as Arma 3 or War Thunder.

Which would then mean that its simply a wholly uninteresting module both in terms of flight characteristics and (lack of) systems.
So to the Mi8 the KA50 and the Huey are equally easy to fly so I don't see your point.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #19
dawgie79

I'm by no means an expert, let alone I know if it's correct or not, but I think it's a bit weird indeed. It seems lowering collective doesn't do that much in terms of altitude, whereas the Huey lowering collective means you drop the helo, which I would expect it to.
The way it is now it's pretty weird to land, because the helo won't drop as fast as I would expect.

That being said, I do like this little thing. Pretty easy to fly, easy to deliver weapons to a target, and it looks cool.

Hope they review the FM cocerning the collective.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #20
SnowTiger

I don't think there is anything wrong with the collective.
It is a light chopper and therefore unlike the Huey, it doesn't drop like a stone when you reduce collective.

In fact, I don't think the collective works the same in the Gazelle as it does other/heavier choppers. The collective doesn't seem to control altitude like other choppers such as the Ka-50. The cyclic seems to have about as much control over altitude as the collective.

For sure it is it's own chopper and therefore has it's own unique characteristics. I don't think the flight model needs any attention, especially when multiple RL SA342 pilots have flown this Module and say it's as close as you are going to get in a Sim. It's just Different. And again, I think what each of us experiences is weighed against other choppers we've flown or expectations we may have in advance as well as the differences of HOTAS's used.
After watching "Flying Soldiers" Episode 3, I learned allot about the sensitivity of the controls and tuned my Cyclic to reflect the actual aircraft's sensitivity and range of movement.

https://youtu.be/TwuYXZ0foIs