Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle

Cyph3r

It was probably discussed before, but I don't suppose the lights are controllable per-switch/button? E.g. so you could program a button to switch colors on each press so you'd have a visual feedback on the current function.

Also, with all these lights, it's a shame two more couldn't be added to provide a visual feedback on the physical position of the throttle and the small side axis in regards to their min and max values.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely interested in pre-ordering this at the end of the month.

At what point is the discount for T-50 stick owners applied? During checkout? After checkout(a refund)?

It will be before/during checkout - the exact process will be clarified when the pre-order opens :)

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey guys - please ignore the pricing on the .by webstore, this is a bug on the store db which is getting sorted out as we speak.

The confirmed pricing will be announced shortly!

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Also, I hope similar discounts will be available once the htumbstick version gets it’s pre-order, though I doubt it’ll stop me if not.

Z...

Edited by Barefoot Bandit

I see that the price has been changed on the EU website. Thanks for that.

A few other questions:

- Will the unit with the analogue mini-stick also be available to order from the 20th May?

- When will the unit be available via Amazon.uk? (I assume that is planned)

- You previously mentioned a 15% discount for owners of a T50. Do you plan to do a "combo" option, such that we could buy both a T50 and Throttle unit together, incorporating a discount?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I can see the price in the currency converter box on the throttle product page. It is about $320.

Hey guys - please ignore the pricing on the .by webstore, this is a bug on the store db which is getting sorted out as we speak.

The confirmed pricing will be announced shortly!

:thumbup:

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hah, great to hear, I'll be buying a set of those cams as well.

This is what I've come to love about Virpil - more than any other PC hardware company I've bought from or even read about, they truly listen to their customers feedback, and then action that feedback. From website/store things I myself have commented to them about, to this new cam issue, and countless other things I've read about, Virpil listens to what their customers say, and then actually DO something about it. This is what will make truly exceoptional products approach perfection.

The light spring kit is truly dialed in perfectly for me, a tiny bit of adjustment on the top screws of the unit, and it's by far the best feel of any of the dozens and dozens of sticks I've owned over the years. The best way I can describe it is a perfect blend between the CH Fightersticks and the TM Warthog sticks. No matter where I mount it, center or side stick position, it's the perfect amount of tension. I recommend everyone who gets a T50 to try the light spring kit, and leave the cam alone, try that set up first IMO. Changing the springs out is an easy task, the cams you have to heat the screws a bit to loosen the locktite, so it's a bit more of a task, but still relatively straightforward, it just takes more time due to the 4 screws needing heating up. I can do the spring swap in less than 10 minutes, and that's being extremely careful with the plugs and boards inside (easy to avoid harming them, they are mounted in great positions and very nicely cable managed from the factory).

I'll have a more in depth review up later this week, I want to get my Saitek set ups from another location they are at, so I can put up side/side pictures of the TM WH and Cougars, CH, VKB, and Saitek X55/X65 as well.

The only thing I don't have is an extention set, but I'm going to purchase the 3 part kit of those when the throttle comes available. I don't "need" them, as I'm happy how the stick sits and feels without them, but I realize many others will want to use them, and I myself am interested to see how much more precision can be gained by going with a taller stick with a longer throw.

As I said previously, this is my 2nd T50, but I got to spend so little time with my first one before a good friend pleaded/begged for me to sell it to him as a favor, that it feels almost new again. Worth every penny.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Yeah I had them put soft springs and soft center cam in mine when it was sent out to me, really like this setup.

You might be surprised how great it feels with the extensions.

I am using 150mm and to me it is just perfect.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Same here. Shorter extensions but it's lightyears beyond anything I have used before (CH Fighterstick, non cheap saitek :) )!

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

I'm interested in your throttle to replace my aging Warthog throttle, but until you show us some pictures of the internal mechanism and clarify your intentions regarding a mini-stick, I won't buy it. Do you intend to make the mini-stick a purchasable modification?

I'm interested in your throttle to replace my aging Warthog throttle, but until you show us some pictures of the internal mechanism and clarify your intentions regarding a mini-stick, I won't buy it. Do you intend to make the mini-stick a purchasable modification?

From previous posts, the analog mini stick will be a different model altogether, that will be released later in the year.

Z...

The general design of the throttle, as well as the set of switches on the base looks appealing. Unfortunately the switches on the grip fall short of what the TM Warthog throttle offers. Not much of a problem for most planes; but I would find it difficult to re-educate myself for flying my beloved A-10C. So for the time being I will continue to use the good old TM WH throttle. Hopefully VPC will have a more suitable replacement for it when it dies.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Remember. This is not meant to be an Warthog throttle replacement, we can already buy one of those. Personally, I will buy this unit for other planes/games where the warthog throttle isn’t really ideal. Elite Dangerous,f or example, would be much better served with a throttle like this (especially with a mini stick).

I’m sure there are DCS planes that would also benefit (though I’m still learning to fly a Warthog for now).

For me, it’s not a replacement, it’s an addition to.

Z...

Yeah, I'm not sure why people try to compare the Virpil throttle to the TM Warthog one for the A-10C. If you fly the A-10C, you're not going to find a better throttle than the TM Warthog.

Not to mention that the TM Warthog has some significant downsides, like the crappy slew cursor, the poor to non-existent support of toggle switches outside of DCS and BMS, the lack of axes and buttons, and finicky idle/AB detents.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people try to compare the Virpil throttle to the TM Warthog one for the A-10C. If you fly the A-10C, you're not going to find a better throttle than the TM Warthog.

Not to mention that the TM Warthog has some significant downsides, like the crappy slew cursor, the poor to non-existent support of toggle switches outside of DCS and BMS, the lack of axes and buttons, and finicky idle/AB detents.

Because the warthog throttle is great for the A10c but crappy quality when it comes to internals. I use it for every other jet without issues but if I want a throttle I would want it to be a replacement not a second throttle to switch back and forth.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

The Warthog throttle is a direct match to the A-10C. You cannot design a better throttle for the A-10C unless you copy the same throttle design, at which point you don't have a new throttle, you have an upgrade of an existing throttle. Also, Virpil is a company that makes Russian HOTAS controls.

I suspect that what you want is not a better throttle, but rather a better A-10C throttle. Virpil has already stated that they don't want to copy an existing design, but rather release something that hasn't been covered yet.

Well a better throttle overall since I use the warthog for everything else and it works just fine. Not specifically just for the A10 but it should allow to map everything the same as the warthog does.

But mine has been starting to fail lately so I was starting to look around. I'll wait until the ministick version is out and see how that turns out.

Eventually when the warthog does fail I wouldn't want another one, I'd want a better quality throttle but that has enough hats/switches to accommodate the systems in the A10.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

These unnecessarily dismissive replies are getting old, but they're not going to drown out all the people who want a mini-stick.

Remember. This is not meant to be an Warthog throttle replacement, we can already buy one of those. Personally, I will buy this unit for other planes/games where the warthog throttle isn’t really ideal. Elite Dangerous,f or example, would be much better served with a throttle like this (especially with a mini stick).

I haven't seen anyone say they want this to be just like a Warthog throttle. They want it to be equally as functional as a Warthog throttle. In fact, by your own admission, that's what you want also: you want a mini-stick. (Which is the only change I would require, as stated.)

For me, it’s not a replacement, it’s an addition to.

How fortunate we are to be able to feel that way! However, I want this to replace my Warthog AND be it's own device.

I suspect that what you want is not a better throttle, but rather a better A-10C throttle. Virpil has already stated that they don't want to copy an existing design, but rather release something that hasn't been covered yet.

No, we just want a better throttle. You can take A-10C out of the equation. We want something that can handle all jets (and most props,) not just the A-10C, and not just the T-50 (which is not simulated anywhere and won't be for many years to come.) The Warthog throttle just happens to be a very feature-rich and capable design, and nobody wants to lose features in the process of buying a more expensive device.

I haven't seen anyone say they want this to be just like a Warthog throttle. They want it to be equally as functional as a Warthog throttle. In fact, by your own admission, that's what you want also: you want a mini-stick. (Which is the only change I would require, as stated.)

How fortunate we are to be able to feel that way! However, I want this to replace my Warthog AND be it's own device.

Not quite... I have a CH Pro throttle, and the Warthog. I like the ergonomics of the CH Pro, but also want additional controls that allow me to use the more complex jets (like the A10-C). So, what I really want is a CH Pro crossed with a Warthog, but bettererer...

Which, I hope, the VPC unit will do a fairly good job of. I think the reality is, that I will start getting into building my own add-on control boxes at some stage, so whatever switches/buttons end up being missing, I’ll build an add on box myself to cover it. The controls on the grip itself are probably my priority.

I do agree with you, though, we really all want a throttle that can perform the functions at least as well as a Warthog, but we want it to be better.

:thumbup: So, I think, we are actually in agreement.

Z...

No, we just want a better throttle. You can take A-10C out of the equation. We want something that can handle all jets (and most props,) not just the A-10C, and not just the T-50

The issue with this statement is that people are tying the definition of "better throttle" to whether the A-10C throttle controls can be mapped to it. My issue is not with wanting a mini-stick; I need a mini-stick on my throttle as well, and I won't be purchasing the T-50 throttle unless it gets one. My issue is with people saying that they want the T-50 to be functionally equivalent to the Warthog throttle, but then don't clarify what that means. What does 'functionally equivalent' mean? Does it mean simply adding a mini-stick? What about the boat switch, speedbrake switch, and china hat switch? What about the toggle switches?

Also, every aircraft's throttle is unique, and the more you make a throttle suitable for one, the less it becomes suitable for another. Wanting something that is completely suitable across all aircraft is impossible. The Warthog throttle doesn't have the two axes rotaries on the right throttle lever that you would want for Falcon BMS. It has too few axes for IL-2, where you would want additional axes for the water and oil radiators, RPM, prop pitch, and mixture level. It doesn't have an axes dial to control radar elevation for the F/A-18. It doesn't have enough push buttons for Russian aircraft. The toggle switches are not ideal for games that don't support them. It's not ideal for space sims because it lacks a center detent. The only thing it's a great match for is the A-10C; everything else is a compromise in some way. The T-50 throttle is the same; no matter which aircraft you fly, there's going to be something additional that you wish it had.

Everyone's requirements are going to be different as well. What's important to you to have in a throttle is going to be something that someone else doesn't care about. Saying "we just want a better throttle" really means "I want a throttle that matches my requirements". I'm not saying that we shouldn't voice our requirements; you need a mini-stick, so do I. But let's avoid statements like "we want a better throttle" without clarifying what exactly you want to see in the throttle.