Custom Snap Views

DieHard

I use the stock snap views looking out my Ka-50 setup on programmable G-keys on my Logitech G510 keyboard, which are glance views to specific areas inside the cockpit and the zoom view out the front windscreen.

Bf-109_K4 has 10 Custom Snap Views currently in Options. These views are all the same view currently. Will these views be completed at a later time to stock/default views? Or are these supposed to be view options to be configured as we see fit?

What is the process to create custom snap views?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I did a search to DCS Forums, with useful results, though a bit dated and specific to the A-10C . Hopefully this process will work for the other DCS aircraft.

"custom snap views" : Show Posts :

Several problems since update to 1.2.7

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=119792&highlight=custom+snap+views&page=2

Creating a better 'zoom HUD' snap view

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=69395

Has this process changed creating custom snap views since these message threads were posted?

-+-

(use as reference only concerning modding: [start/user name/saved games/DCS/Config/View/Snapviews.lua] using Notepad++ )

Custom Snap Views

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=105224

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(edit : March 24, 2015)

Searched in DCS Forums for query input "UseDefaultSnapViews"

Cannot set Cockpit Landing View SnapView (Mig-15 specific)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2334055&highlight=UseDefaultSnapViews#post2334055

See Message #5

Reference from #post 2334055

===================

How to Create New Snap Views

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=124975&highlight=Snap+Views

See Message #4

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you find a definite answer to your question, please drop a line in the topic below to supplement this resource.

DCS cameras, views and video recording

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114260

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated Message #2 , this thread, see above.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I set a custom SnapView zoomed a bit over the cowl, left of the gun-sight, good view of the airspeed indicator and the vertical speed indicator for landing.

(1) Set view you want using RShift + RControl + NumPad direction keys 2, 4, 6, 8 and / or * unzoom or zoom

(2) Assign SnapView to NumPad Number: LWin + Num#

(3) Save SnapView: RAlt + Num0

Then I mapped the new SnapView to a button on my CH Fighterstick.

I do not see a need to use "SnapView Mode" RCtrl + Num0 now titled "Cockpit panel view toggle" in Options/Controls .

I still push only one assigned joystick button or keyboard G-key to get a custom set SnapView. That is how it works for me in my older setup for the Ka-50.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I do not see in Options / Controls is a key mapping to clear a SnapView to its default.

So what I did was go to:

C:\Users\[uSER]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua

to the Bf-109-K4 file. I found an untouched SnapView still in its default status as reference. Then I returned the numbers longhand to the default setting using Notepad++ .

Found out later (April 3, 2015 edit) there is really no need to reset a view to its original default, see below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Both the Bf-109 and Fw-190 have iron sights as a backup sighting system in case the optical sights fail. If I get hit in either aircraft, the first thing that goes bye-bye are the optical sights. So setting a zoomed-in custom SnapView by repositioning my head with the iron sight's centerline and the optical sight as a reference line can be done in-flight firing the guns for sighting accuracy and fine tuning my centerline aiming with a new view. It is very easy to just overwrite a new view with the procedure I explained above, in-flight, no less. Then in Options/Controls I set a convenient button on one of my controller's joystick.

My original over the cowl view is not necessary.

Just did same for the F-86 and Mig-15, though they both have no iron sight backup. I used a reference point to the side of the gun-sight to create one looking out the front canopy.

This custom Snap View setup procedure should work for any DCS aircraft. I will try this in the Ka-50.

Edited by DieHard
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...

(re: Message #3) http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=105224

Customizing a Snap View

================

1.) Set your current view up as you want it saved.

2.) Press LWin+NumN - NumN being whichever numeric keypad key you intend customizing. Your view will briefly snap to whatever the current snap view setting is for that key, then return to your previous view.

3.) Press RAlt+Num0 - The snap view should now be saved.

Test it by changing your view, then holding down LWin+NumX - you should see your customized snap view.

This procedure still works just fine. I used it today to set custom views to my CH Products Pro Throttle.

(I had a heart incident a few weeks ago that sent me to the hospital. Afterwards a good chunk of my memory was gone. Been relearning the Ka-50 and the FW-190 since being back home. I followed my directions in my old post in Message #4 above with no luck changing my snap views. I spent a few hours today doing searches here within the forum and found this old message post. My snap views work OK, now for the FW 190-D9 ; I know, this is the 109 forum.)

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

(I had a heart incident a few weeks ago that sent me to the hospital. Afterwards a good chunk of my memory was gone. Been relearning the Ka-50 and the FW-190 since being back home. I followed my directions in my old post in Message #4 above with no luck changing my snap views. I spent a few hours today doing searches here within the forum and found this old message post. My snap views work OK, now for the FW 190-D9 ; I know, this is the 109 forum.)

DieHard,

I wish you the best and fastest recovery.

Those accidents sometimes help us finding out the right way to prioritize things in our lives... Stress, stress and even more stress, some times inflicted only by ourselves as if we had to live from it, is probably the worst disease of the XXI Century.

Find the time to relax. Having a hobby, like our hobby, helps a lot clearing our minds from the stuff that sometimes pushes us down. For me, now at 51 and with serious blood pressure problems, flight simulation is a shelter, but sometimes it can also turn into a stress... We just have to learn how to manage it all - complex, but possible!

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

#%#@, man! Sorry, I scan the forums so fast I've missed that bit! :/ Get well! Grab yourself one of those neat quick introduction courses by Charlie Owl and others.

• 1 month later...

Hello Friends.

Please don't beat me...

While tinkering around with facetrack (it was a very flat learning curve) I smashed my snapviews somehow.

AND - I don't know how and when - I deleted or overwrote my original SnapViews.lua

Could you upload a untouched version of this?

Please!

I promise to do it never again.

• Like 1

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

Wow. It works.

That simple.

Now I understand why I can't find that file somewhere at WWW :)

Thank You very much.

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

• 2 months later...