VKB T-Rudder Pedals - Review

MK3-360-90.png

I figured VKB deserves their own little forum thread for their awesome hardware, and I basically used the same writeup as the MFG thread, as the premise is essentially the same - a better alternative to lesser quality pedals on the market; here it goes:

I've just bought my first decent rudder pedals since my old CH Products ones from here. You can read more on those on VKB's interactive website here.

Quick guide to set these pedals up:

[ame=http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Documentations/T-RudderMKIII_QuickGuide.pdf]here[/ame].

There's also a review on Mudspike here.

The difference is amazing. The MaRS (Magnetic Resistance) sensors seem very precise, and mechanically they're heavy and well built (steel, aluminium, ball-bearings). Pedal movement is extremely smooth with a progressive increase in force when pushing down, and there is no centre bump like with the CH Products and others if you flip over the cam (I fly DCS aircraft and helos alike, and the centre bump found in most controllers (pedals or otherwise) has always felt very unrealistic). It's great to find a controller that's solved this problem.

VKB's external USB controller uses an ARM processor (!) based system, that supports:

• Possibility to tune axes parameters
  • No custom drivers are required
  • Possibility to save and load custom profiles
  • Firmware can be updated via USB
  • Support for future software development

You can also adjust spring tension of flip over the cam to match your personal preference; a video on how to access the spring and cam is found here:

[ame]

[/ame]

There's also a virtual toe-brake solution in the works by VKB as well.

While they're not too cheap, IMO they represent very good value for money and I wish I'd got them earlier. If simming is your thing and you can afford them, get them; you won't be disappointed.

Edited by rrohde
Removed stray parenthesis, added quick guide

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Not mentioned, but important:

Vertical operation - initially this feature can be problematic for a "veteran" used to slide rudder movement to adapt - the rudder is operated with toe tip like a car brake pedal - more convenient for office chair use and is lees tireless in prolonged use.

Bonus: the pedal don't slide on floor. ;)

And how brake planes with "toe brakes" with this uniaxial pedal?

Download VKB Device Config: : http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/

- Open the program, in "Settings" tick"Expert Mode", close and open again.

- Before anything, click in "Save" and save in some folder the actual profile loaded in Tiny Box controller memory. Example as "T-Rudder default". This is important for the case of mess something, as the changes is done in controller firmware.

- In "ACTIONS", tab "GLOBAL" tick "A2B" and bellow in #"But" type 3.

This means the function A2B (Axis to Buttons) will press 3 virtual buttons.

post-979-0-84076200-1429449494.jpg

- In the tab "PROFILE" (bellow), tab "Common-n-Axis" (up, right),vertical tab "Axes2Buttons" (up, right) set in this way:

post-979-0-32839400-1429449498.jpg

- Now click in "SET" (joystick icon) to save this new settings in Tiny Box Controller memory.

Is done, now the rudder axis movement will press the buttons 1, 2, 3.

T_rudder.jpg

photo uploading

In games, select the "Wheel Brakes Right" and move the pedal for right to assign the button # 3 for this function.

Select "Wheel brakes Left" and move the pedal for left for assign the button #1 for this function.

Button # 2 - pedal centered is not used.

With little practice one can do all taxi maneuvers needed.

Tested with DCS P-51, Bf 109, Fw 190, IL-2 BoS Bf 109/Stuka and IL-2 CloD Bf 109. :thumbup:

BTW - As simple alternative - specially for test the idea - can use Joy2Key, and set the rudder axis 50-0 and 50-100% movement to press two different keys (e.g. <, >) and set this keys for right and left wheels brake.

Under development, a simplified version of the software with ability to set the rudder axis for press virtual axis for proportional braking, activated by joystick button.

T-Link_Panel_1_400px.jpg

To be released in Q1 2016, after the Gladiator joystick release.

IM0 - This pedal is not competition for "high end" ones: MFG, Slaw. But a quality alternative for the COTS brands pedals on the market.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Thanks for the virtual toe-brake writeup, Sokol1! Of course, most users are eagerly awaiting VKB's official software interface update to help set these up. ;)

@Livers - you won't be disappointed. These pedals and interior mechanism are built like a tank; they're also very accurate and made my DCS helo (and WWII war birds) flying a whole lot better!

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Good for them. I'm a happy customer of MFG, but the more competition we have, the better we are consumers!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I received mine yesterday.

They're so much better than the Saitek, in every way. You'd think the vertical motion could be an issue but it's not, it feels very natural.

I flew with the Mi-8 and Uh-1 and the difference between my previous rudder pedals and the VKB is unbelievable. Much much more precise.

Like rrohde said: "If simming is your thing and you can afford them, get them; you won't be disappointed."

I received mine yesterday.

They're so much better than the Saitek, in every way. You'd think the vertical motion could be an issue but it's not, it feels very natural.

I flew with the Mi-8 and Uh-1 and the difference between my previous rudder pedals and the VKB is unbelievable. Much much more precise.

Like rrohde said: "If simming is your thing and you can afford them, get them; you won't be disappointed."

Happy you like them!

If you want to change over the cam to the soft-center, and/or adjust the spring tension, I'm here to help. :thumbup:

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks for the thread and the guide, guys! (I'd +rep if I could ;) )

If anyone need a procedure to update the firmware, here's how to do it:

The firmwares and the VKB Device Config software beta versions are available, >>> HERE <<<

(the stable versions are available from the FTP (firmwares))

You will need the Zbootloader-C.exe from the FTP.

• Download the latest VKB Device Config software from the first post on this thread.
  • Download and extract the latest beta firmware (available beta firmwares)
  • Run the ZBootloader-C.exe and select the firmware (*.vkb)
  • Select your device in the Device Config software
  • Hit the "Bootloader" button in the Tools tab (the window will disappear and the bootloader will be ready to update the firmware)
  • Hit the "Flash It!" button in the Z-Bootloader
  • Once the process is finished, unplug your device and plug it back in.
  • The new version number will be displayed in the VKB Device Config software.

Please, keep in mind those are beta versions and some issues may occur. If you don't want to risk your current device configuration, wait for a stable release (FTP).

Od7OBPQ.jpg

Edited by Bourrinopathe
updated

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Hi Bourrinopathe,

what's the benefit of updated firmware at this time? Just curious and wondering if it is worth it. My version is currently v1.67F.

PS: the link you provided (http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/download/file.php?id=3016) doesn't seem to exist anymore.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Received mine yesterday, unpacked and installed this morning. I flew the A10C for a couple of hours before I adjusted them to suit my feet better. Excellent product!

Nice. :thumbup:

Do you own any DCS helos? That's another dramatic improvement you'll notice with these pedals flying those.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Ah, thanks rrohde. I've updated the post with the valid link. :thumbup:

One of the new features is the settings partial writing. When you choose to apply the new settings you can choose what you want (curves, axis calibration, etc.).

Also, you can calibrate a specific axis (check the "Partial Calibration" box in the settings tab).

A new skin management is included but I don't even know how to modify it ^^ (and don't need to, anyway)

I don't think you'd benefit from the new firmware at this time. It will probably become more interesting with the upcoming virtual brake axis software (and when you'll receive your BM).

I've just updated the firmwares and the software, and everything is fine with my T-Rudder and Black Mamba.

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Good to know! Thank you. I figured I'd wait until the virt toe-brakes become available then (hopefully soon) before I update the firmware.

Man, I cannot wait for my Mamba.... :)

EDIT: Actually, I did update the firmware just now... why not; was easy enough - thanks to your step-by-step procedure above. :thumbup:

dac8e63219f829da1f54e83a37e8877a.png

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 1 month later...

Nice!

Thanks for posting this, Sokol!

Are there any other mods for these pedals that are useful?

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks for sharing.

It looks overly complicated though.

Some decent grease on the contact points will get rid of the "kiii kiii" sound too :thumbup:

(at least nine months since I applied some Teflon grease and it's still silky smooth and beautifully silent)

Are there any other mods for these pedals that are useful?

I'd like to create 3D-printed front and rear covers for the pedals (MkII)… (prevent dust + look better)

In the meantime:

vkb-ag-rus-14-638.jpg?cb=1445697124

Edited by Bourrinopathe

Other thing that I did was round the foot rest corners, as I use the pedal mostly barefoot, and they are a bit "aggressive".

T_Rudder_Ki_Ki_Less4.jpg

About muffle the "kiii kiii", I think that only the silicone tube over spring hooks is need to solve the problem. But the other "mod" if no help, no hinder. :)

I'd like to create 3D-printed front and rear covers for the pedals (MkII)… (prevent dust + look better)

In the meantime:

vkb-ag-rus-14-638.jpg?cb=1445697124

Oh man, any more news on this one? I'm getting GAS again (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com