Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Delanclip and PS3 Eye modified camera

I just want to say to anyone who has not tried this alternative to TrackIR, go for it!

I was put off by the huge cost of the TrackIR system and decided to try the Delanclip, although at around £22 I was very suspicious.

The device arrived in a few days, and I couldn't get it working very well with my webcam or with a (unmodified) PS3 camera that I borrowed. It worked OK in a dark room, but obviously that is not always practical.

I spoke with the dev, and he assured me that I needed to modify the PS3 camera to remove the IR filter and insert a piece of floppy disk or VHS tape in it's place.

So, I removed the IR filter (which was pretty tricky!) and inserted a bit of VHS tape that was lying around. Hey Presto! It worked and what a difference.

Now, it is perfect for DCS, rFactor2 and Elite Dangerous, and has completely transofrmed by experience of DCS and ED.

You can buy the modified camera from Delanengineering for around £15, so the whole thing costs around £38 including a really great headband strap to attach the clip.I cannot imagine that TrackIT could be any better!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The Delan clip is nice but anything that puts 3 IR LEDs in the right place will work. The PS3 camera bit is not new news either. The crux of the biscuit is the software you are using. That is where TIR excels over any other offering.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The Delan clip is nice but anything that puts 3 IR LEDs in the right place will work. The PS3 camera bit is not new news either. The crux of the biscuit is the software you are using. That is where TIR excels over any other offering.

I didn't say it was new news! Just passing on my good experience to forum members who may be in doubt.

Of course, you could construct your own and craft the metal to hold any IR leds, but are you serious? Why would anyone want to do that when for £20 you have a well constructed ready made one!

The Opentrack software works superbly.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The Opentrack software works superbly.

Well, I built my IR clip, I like to tinker. Modified a PS3 and together with Opentrack it works great. Can't compare it TIR, but for the costs (About $20.00 total) I love my set-up.

Well, I built my IR clip, I like to tinker. Modified a PS3 and together with Opentrack it works great. Can't compare it TIR, but for the costs (About $20.00 total) I love my set-up.

Good to hear! For those not quite so adept at 'tinkering' - like me! - the ready made one is excellent from Delan and only a few dollars more.

Hi,

I also have the Delan clip, and bought the PS3 Eye from them too, since on my country it was more expensive. It works very well once you have adjusted the software curves.

I tried Opentrack but didnt like it, so I'm now using FaceTrackNoIR and it works very well ... I'm very happy with this TIR clone :)

Cheers!

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi,

I also have the Delan clip, and bought the PS3 Eye from them too, since on my country it was more expensive. It works very well once you have adjusted the software curves.

I tried Opentrack but didnt like it, so I'm now using FaceTrackNoIR and it works very well ... I'm very happy with this TIR clone :)

Cheers!

Interesting. I couldn't get on with FacetrackNOIR at all, and found Opentrack 2.3 really much more intuitive to use. I found the curves easier to adjust and it has a simpler, more modern interface as well.

Interesting. I couldn't get on with FacetrackNOIR at all, and found Opentrack 2.3 really much more intuitive to use. I found the curves easier to adjust and it has a simpler, more modern interface as well.

Well, its actually been quite a while since I tested Opentrack, 18 months at least ... so maybe the current version of Opentrack is better than when I tried it :)

However, since my current setup works so well (after I spent quite a while adjusting curves and changing 6dof parameters on DCS), I'm not eager to try Opentrack again because of the time investment that this kind of software requires to be fine-tuned.

Cheers.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

... However, since my current setup works so well ...

Hi,

Here is a quick video, where you can see how my setup works ... the VGA is a mid range GTX770 as is the processor, a Core i5 750, memory is 12 GB and usually fly with 50-60 fps.

jH36dJjEQbc

and if works under linux and osx... TIR doesn't.

How many games that use it run under Linux?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hi,

Here is a quick video, where you can see how my setup works ... the VGA is a mid range GTX770 as is the processor, a Core i5 750, memory is 12 GB and usually fly with 50-60 fps.

jH36dJjEQbc

Nice video.

I have a question: The view seems to stutter a little bit when you move your head.

Is that in the game as well, or is it because of the video recording?

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Well, its actually been quite a while since I tested Opentrack, 18 months at least ... so maybe the current version of Opentrack is better than when I tried it :)

However, since my current setup works so well (after I spent quite a while adjusting curves and changing 6dof parameters on DCS), I'm not eager to try Opentrack again because of the time investment that this kind of software requires to be fine-tuned.

Cheers.

right now opentrack works very well, using it from a long time, very smooth and precise, I use a PS3 eyecam also, and if you want to try it I can give you my settings to start with

I have a question: The view seems to stutter a little bit when you move your head.

Is that in the game as well, or is it because of the video recording?

Its in the game too, the video was made with nvidia's shadow play, it happens mostly when on the ground and seems the last couple of updates of dcs 1.5 have exacerbated it :(

right now opentrack works very well, using it from a long time, very smooth and precise, I use a PS3 eyecam also, and if you want to try it I can give you my settings to start with

Thanks for the kind offer, will give it a try :)

Its in the game too, the video was made with nvidia's shadow play, it happens mostly when on the ground and seems the last couple of updates of dcs 1.5 have exacerbated it :(

No stuttering here!

Hello,

I downloaded 2.3 version of Opentrack and installed it, did a quick adjustments of the curves and gave it a try at DCS.

First: it worked fairly well on first try :)

However, I couldnt bind a key to center the view ... well, I did bind a key (I actually wanted to bind my middle mouse button, but it seems that OT only binds keyboard keys) ... but when pressed inside DCS it doesnt work.

The general tracking smoothness is good, I find that FaceTrackNoIR gaves a more natural view tracking, but it could be that I've the latter's curves better adjusted.

Lastly: I found that Opentrack allows me to get about 10% better fps on DCS ... and this is something that I really want :D

Can you send me images of your settings by PM? .. maybe that would help me get the same tracking smoothness of my current software, but get the fps increase that Opentrack has.

Thanks a lot :)

No stuttering here!

good for you ... probably your PC is more powerful than mine.

Thanks for the kind offer, will give it a try :)

Here is my config, adjust the curves as you like, mine are straight, settings for accela filter is the best I found for my like, regards

https://www.dropbox.com/s/deng6isluiijsja/DCS.ini?dl=0

ah... don't forget to change the clip dimensions and calibrate

I used one of my joystick buttons to center the view

Edited by finch

Here is my config, adjust the curves as you like, mine are straight, settings for accela filter is the best I found for my like, regards ...

... I did tried it out and fiddled quite a bit with the options, but couldnt get it to work as smoothly as my previous setup

... on top of that, the fps increase seems to have been just an erroneous impression, both softwares give me about the same fps performance :(

Maybe investing more time on tuning Opentrack will yield better results for me, but I after a while I didnt see the point and returned to my old software.

Thanks anyway and it was good to take a good look at how a different headtracking software works ... even if I turned out liking more my previous software :D

Cheers!

However, I couldnt bind a key to center the view ... well, I did bind a key (I actually wanted to bind my middle mouse button, but it seems that OT only binds keyboard keys) ... but when pressed inside DCS it doesnt work.

I have Shift+Home as my centre view and it works perfectly in DCS.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Cheers!

Initially for me FTnoIR didn't work very well, it was always losing track of the face. Then I read here on DCS forums that one must use the three IR head clip thing, which I found on EBay, along with a modified PS3 camera.

The description said it was in Hong Kong, and "may have scratches" on the case due to the minor modification, but I bought it anyway. It has a neat little lens cap installed, btw. Don't be like me and assume it's a special IR filter...LOL There were no visible scratches when I opened up the package, btw. The pics in the EBay description also had images of the settings on needed, following those helped a LOT.

There was a YouTube video that showed the driver for the canera that was needed:

After that, it works GREAT! Totally awesome add-on, and 1/3rd the cost of TiR.

Edited by VZ_342