Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

Yes, Klem I can do that and probably will once I get the skills to make missions.

I'm thinking more of online. What sort of missions will we have, or will it just be the typical furballs? I hope that enough guys will like good missions and not the same old type of online fighting.

Buzz

Yes, Klem I can do that and probably will once I get the skills to make missions.

I'm thinking more of online. What sort of missions will we have, or will it just be the typical furballs? I hope that enough guys will like good missions and not the same old type of online fighting.

Do you play online just alone? I mean, the kind of content you seem to ask for, is not up to ED alone. Maybe for lonely players, offline players, and so, a campaign would fit your needs, of course, some kind of persistent and dynamic campaign would be even better but a closed one still would fit your requirement and sure we will see them in no time after map release (well, not dynamic campaign, but some day…).

Anyway, the other traditional source for that kind of content is community itself and has been usually created within the virtual squadrons for their own use. You ask for closed, coordinated, target and briefing missions, even maybe whole campaigns, as opposed to dogfight furball missions which can also be fine for a stroll but not as a whole and only experience. You're right but that's what squadrons did since they started to be, not ED, so should you like to see better and deeper multiplayer missions instead of only flying alone in a dogfight server, start searching for people who meet what you look for.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

DCS: World War II Assets Pack - Flak-Vierling 38 and Flak 37

https://www.facebook.com/eagle.dynamics/videos/10158663940290341/

Awesome! :thumbup:

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Folks, regarding the Normandy map, any news about the net-code? I've researched the forum and found nothing conclusive. It seems like the net-code is being rewritten, but I have not found anything on the timeline or whether it has high priority or is a WIP that can take years to be implemented.

Is there any information as to whether the servers will be able to make missions with bombers and a good number of players or will things continue as they are, with limited missions of 30-40 players? Is net-code a serious bottleneck or the servers keep a low number of players for other reasons? Though I found this -- improved multiplayer with dedicated server support (this for 2016). Was it implemented?

In short, what is the current status of DCS for multiplayer? I ask this because I have no interest on single player, just multiplayer. I'm likely to buy the map anyway, but I'd like to know what they're doing to improve multiplayer, because what I've been reading is that the code needs some work.

Cheers,

Edited by SeaW0lf

-- Win10 Pro, Philips 298P4QJEB (2560X1080), i5-9600K, Zalman 9900NT, GA-Z390 UD, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, 16GB 3200Mhz CL16, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, Corsair AX-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --

I hope to see some missions that perhaps reset after two hours that recreate some historical battles before D-day that made the Luftwaffe climb up to attack the bombers.

I'm intersted to see if this evens up all the fighters somewhat in general at this altitude. I guess the best battles like these will be with dedicated groups that fly together and will use somewhat proper tactics.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Ok, I understand. I'm also heavy into Grand Prix Legends. It's a 1967 F1 sim. Most of us try to keep everything true to 1967. Including how we drive the cars. No modern methods. If someone wants to paint their car pink they can do it, because nobody will see it but them. The same goes for the tracks. I only see the track i've installed, but my track has to match the one online.

So, with that said. If someone wants to modernize the Normandy map. Won't everybody need to download that version to see it online? If that's the case I have no worries because I won't download them. I guess I was worried that Ed would incorporate these changes into the Normandy map and upgrade everybody to the new version.

Thanks

No it has been pretty clearly stated this is a WW2 env map. Changes made in the editor are up to the users not ED. I hope they offer the ability to make everyone happy by providing the resources to change as user desires. I am looking forward to helo flights and such in Normandy. Obviously not too historical doing that. I would hate to imagine trying to load a plane or object and be greeted with a " This resource does not meet period requirements" when trying to employ.

Side note. GPL was one of my joys. I worked at Sierra Online when it was released and spent countless hours on VROC racing and at the racesim central forums. Just loved that sim. In fact I have the original art work for the box along with a couple custom GPL pics I acquired from our art dept. Check it out.

http://imgur.com/5NEyhAi

http://imgur.com/MBZuszg

Edited by Torso
  • Like 1

An objective-based WWII multiplayer missions seems actually reasonable. Mustangs and FW-190s doing strike missions while Spitfires and Bf-109s protect them. Whoever does X objectives first wins. Hooray. Restart the server and repeat.

Whoever feels like doing cheap airquake does it, and who feels like doing purposeful objectives do them. This way you won't divide the community into different servers.

[sIGPIC][url=http://www.blacksharkden.com][/url][/sIGPIC]

http://www.blacksharkden.com

"Come join us" - Bad Religion

No it has been pretty clearly stated this is a WW2 env map. Changes made in the editor are up to the users not ED. I hope they offer the ability to make everyone happy by providing the resources to change as user desires. I am looking forward to helo flights and such in Normandy. Obviously not too historical doing that. I would hate to imagine trying to load a plane or object and be greeted with a " This resource does not meet period requirements" when trying to employ.

Side note. GPL was one of my joys. I worked at Sierra Online when it was released and spent countless hours on VROC racing and at the racesim central forums. Just loved that sim. In fact I have the original art work for the box along with a couple custom GPL pics I acquired from our art dept. Check it out.

http://imgur.com/5NEyhAi

http://imgur.com/MBZuszg

Do you remember a player named Jamnut?

Buzz

An objective-based WWII multiplayer missions seems actually reasonable. Mustangs and FW-190s doing strike missions while Spitfires and Bf-109s protect them. Whoever does X objectives first wins. Hooray. Restart the server and repeat.

Whoever feels like doing cheap airquake does it, and who feels like doing purposeful objectives do them. This way you won't divide the community into different servers.

I sincerely hope that's not what people are going to be coming up with, beacuse to be frank, thats exactly what we have now in the game.

I hope that the new AI pack makes more of an impact on how people will design their missions. Especially the online missions.

I for one would limit the objection taking to the AI. The players should only be supporting their AI, the AI itself needs to "win" the objective. Whether that objective is a bombing raid on a city, or a tank push into a town. Well that's where the fun part starts, and best left to the mission designers.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Painting them a flat color should keep you alive longer or something is not right.

I love the looks of a polished Mustang, but not for war.

In reality you might be right but in the sim, it seems to make little, to no, difference in spotting at a distance.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

In reality you might be right but in the sim, it seems to make little, to no, difference in spotting at a distance.

In that case. Where's my polish?

Doesn't DCS model reflection?

Buzz

In that case. Where's my polish?

Doesn't DCS model reflection?

I was under the impression glints off canopies and off polished, reflective surfaces was gonna be a thing for 2.1 and up. Is that not the case?

Anyone else running this in VR with deferred lighting enabled and find it way too bright and washed out? I had to turn it off. Any suggestions?

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

Anyone else running this in VR with deferred lighting enabled and find it way too bright and washed out? I had to turn it off. Any suggestions?

I did at first, but it has grown on me, also its only initially bright, after hitting play, about 10 seconds goes by and it gets more normal.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

I have only seen videos, but it looks to me like the Spitfire looks very right while some of the older cockpits (like the P-51D) are more likely to look washed out. Perhaps the newer aircraft have textures that are better optimized to the new lighting system. Maybe the newer textures reflect less too - different specularity or something like that?

Just my 2 cents. :)

-Nick

Genuine question - Was Normandy specifically picked for the WWII guys to fly around in for any reason in particluar?

Thinking of all the different possibilities for theatres during WWII, it seems Normandy was the flattest, most featureless one available? Even Northern Africa would have more scenery features than Normandy?

No harm intended, I personally have no interest in flying around over dead flat fields as far as the eye can see, even thou I am a huge Spitfire fan and intend on grabbing it possibly.

I guess the WWII guys will pipe up and put me in my place...tomato.gifbut I watch the vids and think 'really?'. Some guys must REALLy want to re-live the D-Day invasion, over any other conflict of WWII.

I suppose the same could be said for the fact I am hanging out for the F-14 and associated theatre....which will be a carrier out in the middle of the ocean. But that is kinda where F-14's fly from...WWII happened a lot of places!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]