Considering buying Ka-50 but having concerns

-Martin-

TM HOTAS Stick & Throttle (mapping keys)

Saitek Cessena Footpedals

I don't own them myself so I'm not sure it's applicable, but remove any springs.

And if possible extended the joystick a feet or two.

Much better for helicopter flying that way.

But not impossible if you don't.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

actualy i strongly recomend NOT to remove the springs because of the Trim and Autopilot system (i have 2 joystick for helos, a springless for the uh01 and one with springs for ka50 and Gazelle).

i use the TM1600 for my Ka50 but you can even steer it with a gamepad :)

but as with every plane/helo you have to relearn the musclememory and procedures (especialy since russian philosophy is differen that USAs)

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

Thanks for your feedback, appreciate the various opinions. Perhaps you might enlighten me on what may be a good decent setup for collective and cyclic controls for helos (brands) if I were to be in a spending mood. A couple hundred $$, ¥¥, €€, ₽₽ spent on controls that keep me out of the pub....priceless :thumbup:

Another question regarding multiplayer missions; are there missions where a helo is required to do a pickup/dropoff like SAR to move the mission forward while friendly force do overwatch?

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Damn Holton, that's quite a rig!!!

Not sure I'm up for that expense right now, not to mention the required renovation of my playroom Anything for the thrifty shopper you know of?

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Unfortunately, good helicopter controls doesn't come cheap not even reasonable controls. Too few dedicated heli simmers to keep the pricing down.

It does exist rather cheap ones, but according to testimonials not realy usable.

The ones I linked to are quite good ones for the money, but not cheap I agree. There are others, higher quality, where you get only one of the three controls for the same price as this one.

But as far as I know, many simmers successfully modify their joystick with extentions. Some are easy to modify, others harder.

A "full length" cyclic with high resolution for it's axis is the single most important enhancement you can get hardware-wise for helicopters in my opinion, dedicated or modified.

A really cheap collective you can get by simply duckttape a stick to your throttle. Obviously you can't use the buttons though...

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I've always been satisfied with a normal hotas (x-52, later x-55) just sitting on my desktop. Gives plenty of buttons and don't have to worry about remodeling, just slide the mouse pad off to the side and drop the stick in its place :).

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

Go to 2.0 Alpha map, join the F99th server, look up F99th-Cooper. He is the best Ka-50 jock in the game; I met him on the 104th Phoenix group and the old S-77th Aussie server. Ask to fly with him.

Most of the S-77th guys transitioned to the F99th. Once I learn the Mirage, I will, too.

-+-

Cooper has his own YouTube Channel by another username. I recently saw his movie of him hiding behind a high-rise building in his Ka-50. He fired 2 laser guided missiles and locked up a Mirage at low level and too slow and shot it down. The sweet spot is 6K ranging.

Different film, different jet, SAME_TOPIC =

You obviously haven't met Reaper. He's probably the top Ka50 driver in game given that he has a full home ka50 cockpit, is basically the local SME and shoots down F15's in blueflag on a regular basis. He's authored quite a few tutorials in this subforum as well.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals