Why does the MiG-29 have two HUDs? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
mkiii

Reputation power: 5
mkiii is on a distinguished road

That sounds like what I read. That it was originally meant to be capable of showing Situational Awareness, using a datalink, but all that was implememted was a non functional switch
mkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:32 AM   #12
Spades_Neil

Reputation power: 8
Spades_Neil will become famous soon enoughSpades_Neil will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
From the real world manual:

There's no other function mentioned for it. It may be there simply as a backup in case of HUD failure. It does, however, note that it can be brightened sufficiently to be readable in direct sunlight. Perhaps that's not the case with the MiG's HUD?
Now that would make sense, because I can't see a damn thing in the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiii View Post
That sounds like what I read. That it was originally meant to be capable of showing Situational Awareness, using a datalink, but all that was implememted was a non functional switch
Apparently though that is not true to how the plane is set up in real life, supposedly. I am attempting to find out what its purpose in real life might be--and why you'd sacrifice that datalink display for a second HUD.

That is, unless, the MiG-29 outright doesn't have that capability in real life, and its inclusion in Flaming Cliffs 2 and earlier was a complete error by the developers.
Spades_Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:25 AM   #13
Dudikoff

Reputation power: 31
Dudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades_Neil View Post
I am attempting to find out what its purpose in real life might be--and why you'd sacrifice that datalink display for a second HUD.
The display might have been put as a commonality thing with the Su-27 cockpit or perhaps the experience with the MiG-23 (which had only the HUD) shoved that it's useful to have a HUD repeater sometimes. Whatever the case, a simpler datalink system was installed where the assigned target data was presented on the HUD directly. As I gather, since the early 29's had a relatively limited range and only two BVR missiles, on a typical intercept mission they would probably engage only one assigned target with both BVR missiles (as the asymmetric load introduced maneuvering limits) and return back to base to rearm/refuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades_Neil View Post
That is, unless, the MiG-29 outright doesn't have that capability in real life, and its inclusion in Flaming Cliffs 2 and earlier was a complete error by the developers.
As many have said already, it doesn't have any other function in the real airplane other than the HUD backup mode (the "takt" mode of the "takt/dubl" switch is not available), unless you have a flight manual which shows otherwise. There were like dozens of similar threads, literally, so you might check those out.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. And you can take that to the bank!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 02-18-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote