Formation

williehayesjr

Hello Brothers and Sisters. I was wondering if there is a formation mission. I have tried to create one but each flyer tends to go to each waypoint individually rather than as a flight. Also, is there a way to set the formation type for each waypoint. I created a flight of 3 SU27s and then created a single aircraft flight as player. I can not get the flight of 3 to join up so that I can tag alone as #4.

To achieve what you want, create a new group, increase the number of units in the group to 4, set the fourth unit to "client". Baddabing baddaboom done! :)

EDIT: Yes there's a way to set specific formation to each waypoint. It's done under "Advanced (waypoint actions)", using "Set Option" with action "Formation".

Edited by chrisofsweden
  • Like 1

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

To achieve what you want, create a new group, increase the number of units in the group to 4, set the fourth unit to "client". Baddabing baddaboom done! :)

EDIT: Yes there's a way to set specific formation to each waypoint. It's done under "Advanced (waypoint actions)", using "Set Option" with action "Formation".

Ayyyyyeeee!!!! Pizzan that's "Bada Bip Badda Boop!!! Often said wrong though. I don't understand why, as the movie has been watch billions of times by now I am sure.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Set up waypoints for flight lead. Click on the plane. Cntl C to copy. Make sure you are zoomed in close on the map. Move your cursor to where you want a copy of that plane (keep it really close for formation flying.) Cntl V to paste a plane there. The waypoints will all be offset perfectly. Cntl V until you're happy with the positioning. Select one to be your plane and change it to client. Save the mission. FLy the mission. Keep in mind that the group's waypoints are all offset by your copy offset. So, watch your turns. You can set speeds too. Set an F-15 a couple miles behind, crank up the KIAS and watch the waypoint time. Cool flybys that way!

Attached picture: An F-14A, an ME-109 (yeah, but I've always called it an ME-109), a P-51, a Focke Wolfe 190 all in formation. Oh, and from my cockpit. We were flying about 300 knots. Moments later, an F-15 sliced past just 100 feet above us about 900 knots. All I got was the sonic blast and a disappearing blur! So nice. Make sure the radios are all set to the same freq. and listen to the call signs announce the waypoint changes (Choose different call signs, too, if you want!)

Screen_161215_155525.thumb.jpg.16f94781ba6c4fcc4a9d5cbb4e2f8ec3.jpg

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...