The F-35 Thread - Page 395 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #3941
Hummingbird

Reputation power: 9
Hummingbird is a jewel in the roughHummingbird is a jewel in the roughHummingbird is a jewel in the roughHummingbird is a jewel in the roughHummingbird is a jewel in the roughHummingbird is a jewel in the roughHummingbird is a jewel in the rough

The Navy version is actually the one I believe will be capable of the most impressive turns, and I hope they will show that off in a demo. It's been given a lot of wing to improve lift and be able to land on carriers, and I suspect it'll perform very similar to the F/A-18.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #3942
Emu

Emu is just really niceEmu is just really niceEmu is just really niceEmu is just really niceEmu is just really niceEmu is just really niceEmu is just really niceEmu is just really niceEmu is just really niceEmu is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
The Navy version is actually the one I believe will be capable of the most impressive turns, and I hope they will show that off in a demo. It's been given a lot of wing to improve lift and be able to land on carriers, and I suspect it'll perform very similar to the F/A-18.
The C has lower g limits though, which might not be a big factor at high altitude but during air display demos it will.
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #3943
Hummingbird

Hummingbird is a jewel in the roughHummingbird is a jewel in the roughHummingbird is a jewel in the roughHummingbird is a jewel in the roughHummingbird is a jewel in the roughHummingbird is a jewel in the roughHummingbird is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
The C has lower g limits though, which might not be a big factor at high altitude but during air display demos it will.
G is a function of speed and rate, in other words the F-35C will probably simply pull the same rate but at a lower speed and therefore G, which on top has the effect of reducing the turn radius. Thus the C variants display can be made to look even more "tight", which is usually what people find impressive - hence the obsession with A's tight snap at the top of loops. People love the high alpha show off, myself included (Im a sucker for it), but in real combat it is the sustainable rate that really matters, or atleast it used to be as nobody knows for real how xombat effective the new high offbore missiles would be against an advanced foe.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #3944
probad

Reputation power: 6
probad is a jewel in the roughprobad is a jewel in the roughprobad is a jewel in the roughprobad is a jewel in the roughprobad is a jewel in the roughprobad is a jewel in the roughprobad is a jewel in the rough

i think you lost the forest for the trees there. good sustain used to be the fastest way to achieve weapon solution. nowadays, the guy that's waiting for his sustained rate to carry him around is just waiting to get shot in the back because no matter how high his sustained rate is, it will always be slower than the instantaneous turns of these new airframes.

the goal of "he who shoots first wins" hasn't changed, but how to get there has. the instantaneous is no longer something to be avoided because it no longer bleeds you dry after 30 degrees.

in the end it looks like jack northrop's having all of the last laughs.

Last edited by probad; 06-28-2017 at 06:20 PM.
probad is offline   Reply With Quote