Warthog/DCS conflicts

Is it possible for there to be a conflict between the Warthog joystick and the DCS software? I’m beginning to think so because, when I chop the throttle just before I land on a carrier, the plane doesn’t drop, it floats right on past the wires. If I am right, how can that conflict be found and eliminated?

Thanks,

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Is it possible for there to be a conflict between the Warthog joystick and the DCS software? I’m beginning to think so because, when I chop the throttle just before I land on a carrier, the plane doesn’t drop, it floats right on past the wires. If I am right, how can that conflict be found and eliminated?

Thanks,

Quick way to test is to use the Windows' built in Game Controller app.

In Control Panel, search for "joystick" or "game controller" You can choose your throttle, click on Advanced and you'll be able to see Windows registering the movement of the Throttle. See if it looses it's movement.

Also, make sure you don't have a curve setup within DCS. That's in in game joystick setting to "deaden" the movement of your joystick.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

In which propeller powered module is this?:megalol:

F/A-18C Hornet

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Not a bug.

There is significant latency in the throttle response on the hornet irl and you need to anticipate where you need your thrust positioned preferably at least a second or two in advance of when you need it.

There is no magic throttle position but my preferred method is to time my movements, you should be constantly moving the throttle on approach, again in anticipation of where you need your thrust ahead of time. So that as you are about to touch down you are coming back up to full power as you touch down.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Would ground effect come into play as you fly onto the deck?

I believe it would, but I'm uncertain if that is simulated currently.

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Not a bug.

There is significant latency in the throttle response on the hornet irl and you need to anticipate where you need your thrust positioned preferably at least a second or two in advance of when you need it.

There is no magic throttle position but my preferred method is to time my movements, you should be constantly moving the throttle on approach, again in anticipation of where you need your thrust ahead of time. So that as you are about to touch down you are coming back up to full power as you touch down.

I’m still learning this plane. So, I haven’t quite got down the rhythm necessary to anticipate the changes in power. I am, however, still looking at whether the throttle and stick need some calibration.

Thanks,

TWC_SLAG

I’m still learning this plane. So, I haven’t quite got down the rhythm necessary to anticipate the changes in power. I am, however, still looking at whether the throttle and stick need some calibration.

Thanks,

Hear hear, this is some really tricky stuff, I have had the hornet for over a year already and I still mess this up, often.

I sometimes think there are magnets attached to the hook and the three wire cause I can't catch one for the life of me.

As has been mentioned you can check how your axis responds directly in the controls section.

The warthog should not need calibration, but a few units do, but those are rare and far between. They would also need a special software to do so, and TM only give that out after giving you the ring around in the support system.

It has been linked around here somewhere but not seen it for an age.

I'd first check DCS's axis settings, where you can also add a curve and edit the axis, if you move each throttle and the axis responds at 0-100% at each end of the travel you should be good.

So far for what you described sounds normal for the hornet. The response delay is short enough to almost not kotice, and yet long enough to really throw you off at times.

Earlier I found this vid from the 104th, it stands out with that it has the control indicators up, and you can see how much his throttle is bouncing around, and also you can see how he puts it from nearly idle to mil at one point and you can hear it takes about a full second for you to hear the engines rpm spool up.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

Hear hear, this is some really tricky stuff, I have had the hornet for over a year already and I still mess this up, often.

I sometimes think there are magnets attached to the hook and the three wire cause I can't catch one for the life of me.

As has been mentioned you can check how your axis responds directly in the controls section.

The warthog should not need calibration, but a few units do, but those are rare and far between. They would also need a special software to do so, and TM only give that out after giving you the ring around in the support system.

It has been linked around here somewhere but not seen it for an age.

I'd first check DCS's axis settings, where you can also add a curve and edit the axis, if you move each throttle and the axis responds at 0-100% at each end of the travel you should be good.

So far for what you described sounds normal for the hornet. The response delay is short enough to almost not kotice, and yet long enough to really throw you off at times.

Earlier I found this vid from the 104th, it stands out with that it has the control indicators up, and you can see how much his throttle is bouncing around, and also you can see how he puts it from nearly idle to mil at one point and you can hear it takes about a full second for you to hear the engines rpm spool up.

I got that software/firmware from TM, ran it 2 days ago, and now my throttle is dead. I contacted TM, and waiting for a response. Dam it!

TWC_SLAG