VFA-146 "Blue Diamonds" CAG 2009

BoNidle

The CAG Hornet of VFA-146 "Blue Diamonds" as it appeared in March 2009 having just taken part in Exercise "Foal Eagle" off South Korea as part of CVW-9 aboard the USS John C Stennis.

There is a memorial dedication to a "ABE3 AW Gatlin S Green 1986-2009" at the base of the starboard vertical tail. Unfotunately I could find no information about this young man.

There are also the names of the paint and scheme design crew on the aircraft. I have most of them but one may be spelled incorrectly and some are missing as I could not find out those details.

Any info on these appreciated.

Just submitted to User Files so should be up soon:

mzLoPOH.jpg

Thanks.

The font I used for "Blue Diamonds" is called "Bahnschrift Condensed".

I also altered it by double layering to bring the letters to what passed for the correct thickness and then compressed them slightly as they were too tall before adding the slant effect.

"CAG", "DCAG" and the pilot names were "Flamente Sans Book" edited in the same way.

The numbers were "USN Stencil" again edited to make a little narrower and lean slightly on the nose.

I also used "Airborne Pilot II" for the tail codes but compressed the letters to make them narrower and rebuilt part of the G

to the correct shape.

Its tough to find the exact fonts they use as I think they must either be custom or a pay-to-use type.

However if anyone does know the name of the fonts I'd like to know them.

Hope that helps.

Edited by BoNidle

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Thanks chaps.

Hello Vampyre,

I saw your post on the skin wishlist thread a few days ago and thats what inspired me to do this skin.

You wouldn't happen to know the names of the paint and design crew would you?

I found out some, made a guess with what I could find on another (which is probably way off) but some are missing.

Great scheme on this Hornet, but the models distortion on the spine was challenging with the diamonds design.

I intend to do the second design assigned to this aircraft circa 2011 soon.

pWq4WKH.jpg

I don't have photos of the 2009 scheme. I had just arrived at the squadron in 2009. I do have some photos of it from our workups and the 2011/2013 cruises though.

The photo you have there is from the 2013 cruise.

What do you have for the names so far? I might be able to help with that as the 12C guys worked out of the same space as I did.

Edited by Vampyre

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

I don't have photos of the 2009 scheme. I had just arrived at the squadron in 2009. I do have some photos of it from our workups and the 2011/2013 cruises though.

The photo you have there is from the 2013 cruise.

What do you have for the names so far? I might be able to help with that as the 12C guys worked out of the same space as I did.

Hello Vampyre,

The names I'm short of are for the 2009 version. I have the later version pretty well covered now.

There is an inscription in blue on the base of the port vertical fin which lists the names of those responsible for the scheme design. I can find none of their details.

On the long nose gear door are the names and ranks of those personel who painted the aircraft. I have conformed "AM1 MCCAFFERTY" "AM2 COOK" "AM3 BURTON" "AM3 (Not sure if that should be AE3) CRUZ".

I have made a guess at "AM2 ADURZAGOTA" based on the research material I could find.

I had to miss out the final name completely as I had no idea what it was.

If you can provide any clarification on any of those names I'd appreciate it, then I can update the skin.

There is also a memorial dedication to a "Gatlin S Green 1986-2009" at the base of the starboard fin. I have that accurately but I am curious to know why it was there. I can only assume that this young lad was lost on duty but if you could elaborate on the circumstances it would be nice.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Bo

Looks good and Cruz should indeed be an AE3. I laughed when I saw "AM2 ADURZAGOTA"... nobody could pronounce his name by reading it and no one could spell it by pronouncing it. I believe everyone referred to him as A12. His last name is actually Ayarzagoitia.

As for ABE3 Green- https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=44816

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/york/obituary.aspx?n=gatlin-scott-green&pid=126973946&fhid=4789

Edited by Vampyre