[FIXED] Terrain Avoidance Radar Mode

MBot

The Terrain Avoidance radar mode is very unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't display relevant terrain.

Note that betwen the first and second screenshot, the terrain is displayed at almost the same range, while I closed a considerable distance to the mountains. I do not think that on screenshot 1 the terrain displayed are actually the mountains ahead but some ground closer (and lower). On screens 2, 3 and 4 the radar display does not match the terrain I see on the horizon line in the HUD.

Screen_171224_125007.thumb.jpg.47aacdb4bb4319c15f241f8c264d0094.jpg

Screen_171224_125051.thumb.jpg.d7734137db9cf90e63724021065aa47b.jpg

Screen_171224_125546.thumb.jpg.801c22ce91147a36dc3a6f628cd227ec.jpg

Screen_171224_125626.thumb.jpg.565b0659f73c47eb8c728d461a7d7b2b.jpg

I only fly on the caucasus map and there it worked just fine, so I guess this problem is map dependent.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Somewhere in the past I read about Tornado's problems with dunes (sand). The ground radar had obvious problems in receiving returns from dunes, thus the pilots had to watch out carefully. I cannot confirm the correctness of this story at this moment, I have to look to my older books.

I hardly can imagine that this (if the above story was true) had been taken into consideration by HB. Furthermore you have hard terrain in front of you (stones, rocks). So it wouldn't make sense at all.

Just wanted to point out that.

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

If I'm not mistaken, you are supposed to "head for the black" to avoid terrain (contrary to other radars), and in the pictures it does seem to be black at the sides where you don't have any terrain while light to the front where you have the hill. Most obvious in the last picture. In the first you seem to be far enough from the hill to not be a threat, therefore a black arc over the entire lateral range.

I haven't really put an effort to learn to use it efficiently myself, not in Caucasus nor Nevada, so a rather high possibility I'm wrong though.

Merry Christmas!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

If I'm not mistaken, you are supposed to "head for the black" to avoid terrain (contrary to other radars), and in the pictures it does seem to be black at the sides where you don't have any terrain while light to the front where you have the hill. Most obvious in the last picture. In the first you seem to be far enough from the hill to not be a threat, therefore a black arc over the entire lateral range.

I haven't really put an effort to learn to use it efficiently myself, not in Caucasus nor Nevada, so a rather high possibility I'm wrong though.

While "black - no return" is the usual convention with radars, this is not actually the case with the Viggen. Here, black indicates a return.

While "black - no return" is the usual convention with radars, this is not actually the case with the Viggen. Here, black indicates a return.

Easy to remember ... black means you're dead :huh:

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

• 2 years later...
So what ? Black means mountains or white ? Thx

Black is the returns, white is just nothingness as far as the radar knows.

Black = something hard.

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |