Flight/Ground idle logic?

=4c=Nikola

A tough feature for sim throttle manufacturers to model then? ;)

I know that the aircraft module currently has idle giving less thrust with weight on wheels, but does/will it allow ground idle to be selected in the air, "during high g manoeuvres"?

I'm not sure that I'd notice, one way or the other, but it must make a difference, otherwise why would Boeing have included it?

You can notice it when you land on airfield with idle thrust, and aircraft stays in flight idle.

That is why procedure includes moving the throttles forward, then immediately back to idle (aft) - after touching down. Will change from 11/12 back down to the standard 6/7.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I do try to wait until I've landed before pulling the levers back, but I sometimes do have to advance and pull back, to get to ground idle.

It was more the difference when in flight, probably combat, that I was wondering about whether I'd notice or not. I suppose it would depend on whether things like the break before a case 1 landing would constitute high g and whether the lower idle setting might slow you down noticeably quicker.

If it's not already modelled it probably would not rate that high on the list of things to add.

Appreciate that this sort of thing is difficult to implement with the limits of our hardware, but if the throttle levers are all the way back I'd prefer the engine to go to ground idle as soon as there's WoW, assuming that's what governs it IRL.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Appreciate that this sort of thing is difficult to implement with the limits of our hardware, but if the throttle levers are all the way back I'd prefer the engine to go to ground idle as soon as there's WoW, assuming that's what governs it IRL.

If you pull the throttles back to idle during the flare (which you shouldn't btw.) the throttles will remain at flight idle after WoW IRL as well. You have to manually pull the throttles further back in this case. No significant difference IMO.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

It's completely fine to flare the f-18, many air forces do it as standard procedure.

Of course you can flare the F/A-18, you just don't cut the throttle during the flare, that's what I was trying to say.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

I suppose it would depend on whether things like the break before a case 1 landing would constitute high g and whether the lower idle setting might slow you down noticeably quicker.

If it's not already modelled it probably would not rate that high on the list of things to add.

The ability to select ground idle while in a high g maneuver isn't a feature, rather a limitation of the mechanism that the pilot should be aware of. My guess is that it's a spring loaded mechanism that pushes the catch upwards to prevent throttle movement past flight idle. At high g, the spring can't keep the mechanism in place. It is listed as a note in the NATOPS that this may happen.

If they eventually model it, and they do it correctly, there would be a random element to it to where you couldn't guarantee that you'd trip it every time.

The ability to select ground idle while in a high g maneuver isn't a feature, rather a limitation of the mechanism that the pilot should be aware of. My guess is that it's a spring loaded mechanism that pushes the catch upwards to prevent throttle movement past flight idle. At high g, the spring can't keep the mechanism in place. It is listed as a note in the NATOPS that this may happen.

If they eventually model it, and they do it correctly, there would be a random element to it to where you couldn't guarantee that you'd trip it every time.

Makes more sense. In a high g situation (like BFM) I would want to be able to slam throttles between the stops and have the engine respond faster.