Would you buy fictional maps?

ESAc_matador

Would you buy fictional maps?  

928 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy fictional maps?

• Yes
    • No

• 2 weeks later...

I'd rather see the effort go into filling in real maps...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I'd rather see the effort go into filling in real maps...

giphy.webp

we still have plenty of potential; RL theaters for Conflicts PAst and Present that can to be added before every thinking about fictional stuff.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 3 weeks later...

I dream of a real DCS "World". Where all maps are connected.

Let me take my calculator... will cost me... 100.000$+++ till year 2080

hm.... so I have to vote "NO".

Simply can't afford additional content. :music_whistling:

btw. I find myself sitting in front of a flat screen made of many plastics and sometimes wearing a pajama and I still believe that I'm a jet fighter pilot. Just becuase the realism of DCS's planes and locations gives my phantasies wings. So I'm spending my money on realism. The idea of fictional planes, maps, times in fictional history is nice, but I dont want those ideas take away my DCS!

Edited by Tom Kazansky

I said no to this poll.

But I would really buy fictional planes, though. Meaning I'd like a current gen fighter. I can imagine a fantasy module that would be "ED"'s vision of the next gen fighter. It would of course be based on reality and what we know about those fighters. But whatever is classified or a bit blurry would just be filled in with ED’s best guess.

Edited by Whozdär

I said no to this poll.

But I would really buy fictional planes, though. Meaning I'd like a current gen fighter. I can imagine a fantasy module that would be "ED"'s vision of the next gen fighter. It would of course be based on reality and what we know about those fighters. But whatever is classified or a bit blurry would just be filled in with ED’s best guess.

Wow think of the heated discussions on the flight model,.. :P

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I would buy a fictional map, but only if it was EPIC fiction. Pulled some speed paints off of Google to give you guys an idea of what I would 200% dig!

(Some are art based off of Avatar. If someone would make an SA-2 Samson, that would be great too)f8f06bc4dbdbdbfc37691c3d45d29272.jpg43015fd5ee3ae85876bf0f91fdfa9b82.jpgcf15e86d941a25fbe629a4e2748eb267.jpge3171a4e855f42e89478c07cecc7b8be.jpg0f35811d029be3fa3f28800c97fe0641.jpg0f0e1962f8149df8ab63753d40c3744a.jpg97b423dd014682e4f0e9f5924d77698c.jpg

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 4 weeks later...

Before we get any fictional maps, I would like to see the following maps:

1. All the missing places in the Near East in case the Persia-, Syria-and Afghanistan-Maps do not cover all places (like Egypt or the Indian-Pakistan border)
  2. Korea
  3. Balkans
  4. Kuba
  5. Taiwan
  6. Alaska (or any other nice "snow"-map where USA and Russia might clash one day)
  7. at least one place in (the Horn of) Africa

Maybe the word "fictional" is whats killing the mood.. LOL people are so literal.

Maybe you should have gone with GENERIC maps.. AKA, desert map with some cities and bases, Jungle terrain, artic terrain etc...

So instead of making believe the Caucasus is Africa, or central or western europe) we could have a GENERIC map with the appropriate terrain and climate to make believe its a specific part of the world...´

Don´t know about you, but from my understanding, the only REALISTIC conflict we can simulate so far (for te purists) is a Georgian civil war...

Everything else you fly IS FICTIONAL...

So It really makes me laugh out loud people screaming REAL REAL, when neither the places, airframes, equipment or even time periods actually match in ANY way in DCS....

Maybe the word "fictional" is whats killing the mood.. LOL people are so literal.

Maybe you should have gone with GENERIC maps.. AKA, desert map with some cities and bases, Jungle terrain, artic terrain etc...

So instead of making believe the Caucasus is Africa, or central or western europe) we could have a GENERIC map with the appropriate terrain and climate to make believe its a specific part of the world...´

Don´t know about you, but from my understanding, the only REALISTIC conflict we can simulate so far (for te purists) is a Georgian civil war...

Everything else you fly IS FICTIONAL...

So It really makes me laugh out loud people screaming REAL REAL, when neither the places, airframes, equipment or even time periods actually match in ANY way in DCS....

Well said!!

Yes, "Generic" is the word here. A map of some arbitrary patch of forest or coast or city or mountains. And with NO MAP LABELS. This way it can be whatever sector of a real area that you want... whether modern, cold war, WW2, whatever.

The problem with fictional maps is that it is not very motivating to memorize important locations. So when you are going to do a ground patrol mission (or something similar) then you should know how the map in the local area of your mission looks like. When they are real locations then you can also learn something about real world geographics. It also adds something to the immersion, which is not the case for fictional maps.

Of course maps like the Persia map or the Nevada map are not very suitable to simulate big real modern conflicts that took place in the past, but it is somehow thrilling to simulate conflicts that might take place in the near future. (Even the Nevada map can be interesting to simulate a second American Civil war in the future. lol)

Ficitional or generic maps do not have these advantages.

I know that fictional maps can be interesting like the maps in ARMA III, but I would never have the same emotional connection to something fictional than to real world maps. So it is legit when simulation fans are asking for something real.

Before we get any fictional maps, I would like to see the following maps:

1. All the missing places in the Near East in case the Persia-, Syria-and Afghanistan-Maps do not cover all places (like Egypt or the Indian-Pakistan border)
  2. Korea
  3. Balkans
  4. Kuba
  5. Taiwan
  6. Alaska (or any other nice "snow"-map where USA and Russia might clash one day)
  7. at least one place in (the Horn of) Africa

An Alaska map would be awesome.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

I personally would never by fictional maps, no way.

I indeed would love to have something covering central Europe (like Czech Republic, South Germany, Austria, Switzerland, north Italy.

Flying over flat terrain is not that funny, and this is why Caucasus is my most favourite terrain so far.

I love woods, meadows, rivers, hills, rocks :love:

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

I wont buy a fictional map...

I WOULD buy Normandy if it was updated to the modern era...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Just thought about this counter-question: Would you buy fictional DCS-level planes, and I thought to myself "nah, never". :)

Guess that's my thought process when I think about flying on fictional maps which thus couldn't be referenced against real-life sources, such as approach plates, navaid data, google map images, etc, etc...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Question to all the Nay sayers.. you have been 15 yeas fighting the Georgian civil war? case that is the only scenario you can run with current map settings... well yeah now Iran, but if Caucasus had NO name tags (AKA Fictional or generic map), we could use it to create other camapigns ...

Question to all the Nay sayers.. you have been 15 yeas fighting the Georgian civil war? case that is the only scenario you can run with current map settings... well yeah now Iran, but if Caucasus had NO name tags (AKA Fictional or generic map), we could use it to create other camapigns ...

It's not about realistic scenarios/conflicts, it's all about realistic places with realistic geography and with real information, of various kinds, from various sources other than the Eagle Dynamics univers. A lot of examples given by many of us so called Naysayers.

And I myself would really like to visit Georgia for its said geography, mountains, valleys, the Black Sea etc, and that is only because I have flown there in DCS.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5