Better way to report bugs/Confirm that ED is aware

Pougatchev

Better way to report bugs/Confirm that ED is aware  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Better way to report bugs/Confirm that ED is aware

• The way it is actually is good
    • I want something that show us that ED is aware of the problem reported
    • I want a more efficient way to report a bug (If this is a new idea, post it!)
    • Other (then explain it)

Hi all,

First of all that's my point of view not something universal...

I think that we need a way to report bugs directly to ED or more efficiently than actually, and pretty simple, something like after 20 people agreed with the report something ring in ED staff or someone from ED Team can make the thread reported.

Again that's my POV we can share ideas here if someone have something great :thumbup:

Edited by Pougatchev

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Make the reporting system great again!

Yes too much bug report topics are not acknowledge as read/known/reported by developers. Very frustrating sometimes to feel like talking in a vacuum. Especially when the bug is easy to fix.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

I agree, some sort of confirmation system would be good.

Maybe like a reported, replicated or not, being worked on status.

Of course the reporter should include track files, etc.

It would be good if it applied to 3rd party devs as well.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'm also sure that some people in the community would be OK to have some "reporting capacities", for example you take one guy who proved by all post and test he make that he can report correctly bug to ED Team, with the capacity of changing post status to reported. This feeling of being no listened put me out of DCS for some months and I don't want that to happen again because I like this sim and whant to help by reporting. Leaving people without reply isn't the correct way...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am not allowed to mention any other software developers of sims, but someone else out there has an amazing reporting mechanism and it works very well, their game sounds a bit like a body part

1. First to stop duplicate reports

Have a webpage that lists all currently reported bugs, that each bug points to the reporting forum post

2. Don't bury the bug reporting forum so deeply, wish lists and other things help to "hide" reports from being easily seen

3. Track playback working correctly might aid in replicating bugs

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

In my industry, a correctly filled bug (Defect) report, is assigned a reference number. This has to be acknowledged within 1 week by the Company.

A report has to be received back within 1 month, as to the method used to tackle the bug, if indeed it is one.

Progress can be accessed at any time by typing the reference number into the bug list.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Yes too much bug report topics are not acknowledge as read/known/reported by developers. Very frustrating sometimes to feel like talking in a vacuum. Especially when the bug is easy to fix.

Indeed...... Agree! :thumbup:

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

The current system, after ten years of being on these forums made me apathetic to bothering to log issues now.

If ED wants to save money on QA and use the community, they would do themselves a favour by streamlining this process and getting people onboard.

At the moment it appears as generic "noise". I'm sure they count the thread views than what the issue actually is. And I've change my approach to this. Trouble, what is important to me, is generally not important to others. Watching too many "rivet counting" issues get way out in front, yet fundamental scripting API's and multiplayer bugs sink down low on fix lists.

So frankly, it's easier and has better results to make a lot of noise on the forums about issues than it does submitting a quality defect, because all we really want is acknowledgement first, since we have no idea if the bug is prioritised or even understood.

If Eagle wants quality bugs, they'll need to come half way with me and give quality response, or any response at all.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

The current system, after ten years of being on these forums made me apathetic to bothering to log issues now.

If ED wants to save money on QA and use the community, they would do themselves a favour by streamlining this process and getting people onboard.

At the moment it appears as generic "noise". I'm sure they count the thread views than what the issue actually is. And I've change my approach to this. Trouble, what is important to me, is generally not important to others. Watching too many "rivet counting" issues get way out in front, yet fundamental scripting API's and multiplayer bugs sink down low on fix lists.

So frankly, it's easier and has better results to make a lot of noise on the forums about issues than it does submitting a quality defect, because all we really want is acknowledgement first, since we have no idea if the bug is prioritised or even understood.

If Eagle wants quality bugs, they'll need to come half way with me and give quality response, or any response at all.

Exactly, the community need to be a part of this, as a friend said, reporting a bug and see a thousand of viewers without any post show the global feeling in this community, peoples let leak everything...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
3. Track playback working correctly might aid in replicating bugs

It's counterintuitive for people, but I'm 99% sure the devs have the right tools to work with track files, so even if the track shows you something different on the playback it may still contain tons of valuable information.

For example: you take off, flight 1h, then land, but the replay shows crash after 5min. That doesn't mean that the remaining 55min of flight inputs are gone. It's still there in the file.

Of course it's not perfect and it cannot show everything that happend this way.

+1 to some kind of feedback. That's most important. Could be even color coded like:

> green - fixed or feature - not a bug

> yellow - reported and confirmed as bug

> orange - reported, not confirmed, need more info

> red - not yet acknowledged

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

As a guy who almost never posts here, Ive very recently had both a very good and very bad experience with the current bug reporting system

1) I posted in the general DCS F18 forum to ask a question on what I was doing wrong - this post automagically moved from the DCS F18 forum to the DCS F18 bug sub forum and the title was changed as "Reported"and the thread locked down - my initial reaction was "too cool!" but I received no notification about this. I had to go back to find my post. Because the post was locked down, no one could comment on it so I wasnt getting notifications and when the admins moved the post I also received zero notifications. While this was VERY effective for the admins, as a customer it left me both excited and puzzled as had I not found my old post via my transcript (it wasnt in the DCS F18 forum where I posted it anymore!) I would have never known what happened. You can read this thread here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243322

2) The above encouraged me to post another bug report - which left me feeling frustrated. This second bug report was closed as "NOT A BUG" with zero explanation. So again, with zero notification on who made the update to my post and with zero information on why my bug wasnt a bug, I was left feeling puzzled. This post has now been merged with another post (which is a good thing!) but if I give you the url to it, it wont make any sense because the two posts were merged. You just have to trust me that I made a post that said "here is how to reproduce XYZ bug" and the title just changed to "NOT A BUG" and the post had no explanation.

Im not here to criticize the admins - like Pikey said earlier, its probably mostly all noise to them from internet warriors who wont read the manual - it probably gets very mundane and repetitive. But for the people that actually try to make DCS a better place, the current system lacks a feedback mechanism to help encourage good reporters to report.

Id almost recommend no one can post in Bugs until they meet a certain threshold granted to them by the Admins. And those people can move posts from the main forum to the bugs sub forum. Then maybe the Admins can spend time with those few people to educate them on the bugs report and how to research and those 'volunteers' can educate the community. Man, I'd attend a weekly call even if it was at oh dark thirty to walk through a handful of bug reports and learn the reason behind them. That could be very powerful!

Anyways, just my two cents from a guy who dealt with this very recently and walked away both in awe (MATT WAGNER COMMENTED ON MY POST! HOW COOL IS THAT??!??) and frustrated from the whole experience.

Good luck with the direction this goes - I wish you all well!

TJ

I was under the impression that ED has their own closed-beta test team as well that provides bug reports? I think that a lot of the things that we - the community - reports, is also being reported internally. Maybe ED already has a better system 'on the inside' that we're not aware of or privy to?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I was under the impression that ED has their own closed-beta test team as well that provides bug reports? I think that a lot of the things that we - the community - reports, is also being reported internally. Maybe ED already has a better system 'on the inside' that we're not aware of or privy to?

Why would you care about their internal testing on the internal version? It's not that we get our hands on it, so beside the update notes "known bugs" we don't see or report the same bugs anymore.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

One thing ED could do is to re-arrange the forum layout to make bugs sub forum less hidden away

ED Forums » English » Digital Combat Simulator » DCS World 2.5 » Bugs and Problems

Bugs are currently hidden at least 5 forums level down and now with the patch notes and newletter thread inside 2.5 sub forum, bugs are just getting drowned out with noise

I just wish they would at least sort that out at a min, if I did not know better I might think they are trying to hide things away ....

Edited by HC_Official

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

• ED Team

We basically have this, a small number of internal testers, some of which, like me, are not solely testers, but try to keep track of bugs and reports, and test internal builds.

We also have a volunteer test team, they do what they can when they can.

We also have Open Beta, while not required, we ask, and appreciate everyone that helps report bugs here.

That said, while we appreciate those posts, it doesn't mean that they will always get responded to, or marked up, it doesn't mean they are ignored or less important. It just means that everyone is busy trying to build this simulation. Wags is incredibly busy, and can't always respond, or explain why something is wrong, same with others on the dev team.

The best you can do is try and make sure your reports are laid out as we ask, make sure what you are reporting is a bug, and be patient.

Thanks all.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I've seen many bugs I reported taken care of, over half of them didn't receive a reply/acknowledgement. Yes the business, I also think in most such software development, it can also be more of a "mind my own business" thing of not getting too personal, it may just be one of the ways of dealing with a large global audience, funny I say stuff like this when even I'm guilty of some things on here as well in the past and I'm ashamed now I was a bit rough for wrong reasons at first.

In general, developers need to be calm to do their job, they aren't your neighbour, your fitness coach, your side-kick for cleaning the kitchen (I would need one right about now), so I think it's also about not wanting to get personal with the issue and even valid criticism can be demotivational and stressful too so keep that in mind, plus if they do talk most of them talk on the Russian forums AFAIK.

You want more spent on the game, not on a team of PR people making the forum look nice, right :)

But I do technically somewhat agree with this thread just not sure right now and not in the exact same way, so I'm avoiding ticking any option.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria