Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

When you said it's much "cheaper" That implies it costs less. OS costs money. HW costs money. What am I missing?

A Windows server is comparatively painful to host and there's less and less people proficient with it.

Of course you can do everything yourself, but not everybody has enough bandwidth at home or can be bothered to do that.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I don't think that's the case. The most commonly used devices to run games on are smartphones. :P

I mean real gaming, not Irritable Crows or whatever phone games the hip kids are into these days :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I think his point is that we shouldn't expect a dramatic performance increase. The DCS Edge engine is being ported to Vulkan, not a full rewrite (as far as I've seen anyway), which means that it won't fully take advantage of multi-core CPUs.

That's too bad... Why are they doing it then? Will there be any advantage at all besides not using a Microsoft product? It's still gonna run on Windows...

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

https://www.khronos.org/vulkan/

Oh yeah, version 1.2 improved GPU acceleration functionality and performance. :D

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

That's too bad... Why are they doing it then?

Some other game has benefit from just moving to Vulkan.

It can be this case too in the "short" term.

Will there be any advantage at all besides not using a Microsoft product? It's still gonna run on Windows...

Dont forget ED creates also training simulators for military.

This can mean they are "less" stricted to using Windows.

Realistically we should expect minimal improvement, despite how long its taking. It has taken over a decade for DCS to get to this stage;redoing the entire engine from scratch in two, with only a small portion of the dev team, is unlikely. Still, I'd love to be wrong on this one.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Here are some older articles that are an interesting read about it.

"What this means practically for developers, is that on device with more cores you’ll simply be able to manage your threads better, and allowing rendering strategies that weren’t previously possible. As I alluded to last time, this will lead to better efficiency and better performance of applications that otherwise find themselves maxing out a single core!"

CPU bottlenecks

GPU waiting on the CPU

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Anyone has idea if vulkan will come this year and when?!?

Don't turn blue and pass out holding your breath. It'll happen when (i.e. If) it happens.

AD

Kit:

Yeah, I'm hopeful, but I don't see it coming till next year.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah, this isn't the first time they've mentioned Vulkan... just like they started hyping the F-18 nearly 3 years before the EA started... then it was 8 months before you could fire a Maverick.

I'm not complaining, just letting you know some previous time-lines. This stuff takes a while to develop. I'm also very excited about it... but not holding my breath.

Yeah, this isn't the first time they've mentioned Vulkan... just like they started hyping the F-18 nearly 3 years before the EA started... then it was 8 months before you could fire a Maverick.

I'm not complaining, just letting you know some previous time-lines. This stuff takes a while to develop. I'm also very excited about it... but not holding my breath.

ED likes to do things like that. By the time something actually gets released, it's been talked about for so many years that I'm no longer interested.

The Hornet module is really pretty cool, but I bought it when it was first released in Early Access. It's not finished yet, and I'm already mostly done with it :)

AD

Kit:

Novemver 2017

[...] We are also developing our engine to take advantage of the Vulcan API to further improve game performance. [...]

August 2018

Base programming and testing should be finished next month. We'll then work on transferring our shaders to the new API. This is a very new technology for us, and it is quite possible that we will run into unforeseen issues during that phase. DCS World uses many complicated shaders that may not necessarily play nice with the Vulkan API.

Thanks!

If Wags wasn't overly optimistic in 2018, i don't think vulcan should be far off. Redoing the shaders is a lot of work, but it is also a workload that should be relatively easy to predict (not that many interdependencies). I assume that everything that got released since 2018 was already developed with vulcan in mind...

Novemver 2017

August 2018

If Wags wasn't overly optimistic in 2018, i don't think vulcan should be far off. Redoing the shaders is a lot of work, but it is also a workload that should be relatively easy to predict (not that many interdependencies). I assume that everything that got released since 2018 was already developed with vulcan in mind...

I think you're assuming a lot there... I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed... so I'll continue expecting DCS Vulkan after Star Citizen is finished. <shots fired>

• 1 month later...
Which threads Skate?

One Titled:"VULKAN?!?" was merged to the main Vulkan/DCS Discussion Thread.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 month later...

Just check web/youtube for integrated Vulkan API for one of the civilian sims on the market.

They say the performance gains are almost %50. No stuttering no hick ups. I wish ED could make this priority one.

I tried to not give any brands in order to not break the forum rules. You will have to make an easy guess for it, as there are not so many options.

They say the performance gains are almost %50. No stuttering no hick ups. I wish ED could make this priority one
To be fair, they used OpenGL before switching to Vulkan, not DX11. OpenGL is kinda low on the totem pole to begin with, and huge gains going to Vulkan make sense. Not sure if we can expect to see those from DX11 to Vulkan...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

To be fair, they used OpenGL before switching to Vulkan, not DX11. OpenGL is kinda low on the totem pole to begin with, and huge gains going to Vulkan make sense. Not sure if we can expect to see those from DX11 to Vulkan...

This. And when I compare DX11 to Vulkan in other 4k games that allow both, there is quite a little gain with Vulkan (FPS and micro stutters). Hope that improves with development.

I don't own that particular product myself but would be interested to know what sort of fps gains people are seeing, expressed as a percentage.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals