Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

attachment.php?attachmentid=217652&stc=1&d=1569226758

To be fair SkateZilla wrote 7+, but I worked on it for four hours and I had to post it.:D

:megalol:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

If Win10 keeps going SOUTH with every new update & upgrade they release we'll have to hop to Linux to have a machine that doesnt BSOD or drop drivers every 2-3h :megalol:

I once liked 10 but dont ask me today about 10, it's a effrontery.

We can dream... Vulkan + Linux + DCS...on a bootable, dedicated ISO. Sleek, tailored for performance with the minimum you need to get up & flying.

The obstacles are driver support for countless input devices and likely VR devices.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

We can dream... Vulkan + Linux + DCS...on a bootable, dedicated ISO. Sleek, tailored for performance with the minimum you need to get up & flying.

The obstacles are driver support for countless input devices and likely VR devices.

Well I dual boot and run Linux Mint 19.x as my desktop and only run win 10 when playing games like DCS. Actually I manage to play lots of games on Linux because of WINE and steams Proton so as time goes on I'm using windows less and less.

So for me and probably a bunch of others we would probably make our own run level and strip out unnecessary software at boot and be good to go; no need for a dedicated ISO.

Drivers and Input devices would really be a headache for some. :(

...and additionally, will all the community made programs like OvGME, VAICOM for Voicetacck etc. work on Linux. If i have to forgo the entire DCS ecosystem then....

They might run in Wine or Proton but it would be best if they were reprogrammed and recompiled to run in both. I doubt that's a simple thing to do. :(

BTW this is my 300th post so:.... They cold also try yelling "THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!"

Edited by aileron

That's actually becoming less of an issue with Microsoft increasingly supporting Linux development.

That doesn't make much of a difference. ED would have to rewrite any code that uses Microsofts C++ SDK because it isn't available under Linux.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on when I get to unleash all the cores?

The Flying Kiwis (TFK)

Ryzen 5600X on water, RX6800, 32GB 3200, m.2 boot, 2TB EVO,  Rift S, Warthog HOTAS + TFRP, flight chair with bass shakers.

AH-64D || A-10IIC || F/A-18C || UH-1 || F-16C || Mig-29 || Spitfire mk.ix || Fw190A8 || Fw190D9 || P-51D || Ka-50 || Mi-8 || Mi-24P || bf109k-4 || P-47 || Mosquito || Combined Arms

Persian Gulf || Normandy || Nevada || Syria

Supercarrier || NS430

• 2 weeks later...

Preliminary Vulkan "Speed Testing" results in X-plane [source FB]. Could be useful to get a rough(!) idea about the expected performance increase in DCS.

We're getting closer and closer to releasing Vulkan support for X-Plane 11. Here are the results from some of our internal speed testing!

The Nvidia graph was made with the extreme quality preset with real time reflections and the AMD graph was generated using the high preset in the sim. We expect the OpenGL side to get an EXTRA speed bump as well but that isn’t reflected in the graphs yet. Exciting stuff, folks!

72691104_10156406400241283_7671420440924913664_n.png?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQm26aOc9zbXUvvUElBRcj2r79hpN24FQ2aWkDzxJjptTh3b4vxJDaECimyVxHqZXK4&_nc_ht=scontent-ber1-1.xx&oh=78bd425c67afe70c77d0a4d6c4064b75&oe=5E21983E

72314761_10156406400296283_1674227944752414720_n.png?_nc_cat=110&_nc_oc=AQnYm4sWBINLb8Vr96mmRgfsY5u5GhDuhAoRClrus_sdNvorZAzCRlRcUcUd9ttFQPU&_nc_ht=scontent-ber1-1.xx&oh=f362def0382b0ad61f660bec995c9d87&oe=5E2FB706

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Base programming and testing should be finished next month. We'll then work on transferring our shaders to the new API. This is a very new technology for us, and it is quite possible that we will run into unforeseen issues during that phase. DCS World uses many complicated shaders that may not necessarily play nice with the Vulkan API.

Thanks!

Well, I guess it didn't work very well, because that was 2018 and it's almost 2020 now, and we're all still using DX11 :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Well, I guess it didn't work very well, because that was 2018 and it's almost 2020 now, and we're all still using DX11 :)

AD

There's A LOT of SHADERS.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

There's A LOT of SHADERS.

What does this mean actually?

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

What does this mean actually?
If you read just before,

Base programming and testing should be finished next month. We'll then work on transferring our shaders to the new API. This is a very new technology for us, and it is quite possible that we will run into unforeseen issues during that phase. DCS World uses many complicated shaders that may not necessarily play nice with the Vulkan API.

it means they are transferring shaders since then because there's A LOT of them.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shader

I just got done reading it. Phew...

I'm still clueless, and I used to be really into this stuff a third of a century ago :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Could be useful to get a rough(!) idea about the expected performance increase in DCS.

Not even rough.

It would be like saying that your own house will be as great as your neighbour's, because you both built them using concrete. There's lots of other stuff to consider.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I'm still clueless, and I used to be really into this stuff a third of a century ago :)

AD

Pretty much DirectX Shaders have different programming language from Vulkan ones.

While basic implementation on engine has been declared done ( I assume using Vulkan libriaries and functions to render 3D ) thousands of shaders have to be converted in the new language.

Imagine every terrain , aircraft , ground unit , etc has it's own PBR shaders (at least ) it's a huge and long task.

Not even rough.

It would be like saying that your own house will be as great as your neighbour's, because you both built them using concrete. There's lots of other stuff to consider.

Well, to stay in your picture, at least my neighbor demonstrated that it is possible to build a "great" house using concrete.

Of course, all flight sims are different but they share some common problems and challenges. The X-plane result shows that this genre can indeed profit from Vulkan. I find that encouraging - nothing more nothing less :)

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Imagine being able to offload AI to one complete core, dynamic weather to another, comms to another etc, and a much more efficient rendering engine. How could it not be much better? I basically chose the 2700X in anticipation of this for DCS.

The Flying Kiwis (TFK)

Ryzen 5600X on water, RX6800, 32GB 3200, m.2 boot, 2TB EVO,  Rift S, Warthog HOTAS + TFRP, flight chair with bass shakers.

AH-64D || A-10IIC || F/A-18C || UH-1 || F-16C || Mig-29 || Spitfire mk.ix || Fw190A8 || Fw190D9 || P-51D || Ka-50 || Mi-8 || Mi-24P || bf109k-4 || P-47 || Mosquito || Combined Arms

Persian Gulf || Normandy || Nevada || Syria

Supercarrier || NS430

Imagine being able to offload AI to one complete core, dynamic weather to another, comms to another etc, and a much more efficient rendering engine. How could it not be much better? I basically chose the 2700X in anticipation of this for DCS.

Exactly, in general, many things could be done with splitting the splittable serial workloads that are still kinda together.

I've done some more testing though I kinda didn't yet get back on it, and I think there's more than just 2 cores being used as I previously thought, because I tested with a pure bareness with nothing happening, no missles firing, no airplanes flying, no sounds playing, no weather, just a mountaintop view, this time around I was actually analysing the practical gameplay session and it's quite a bit different, but I won't disclose any findings because of the exact same thing what this does, makes more speculation which would just contribute to trolls, by the time I go look at it again it might not be worth it any more if the new Vulkan API engine overhaul is just around the corner, and talking about the old state would kinda be pointless and would just distract from the excitement of the future.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

What's that got to do with Vulkan though? My understanding is that all this will help do is uncouple the graphics pipeline from the CPU.