New Purchase (Issue with steam)

xavier999

Hi,

I just purchased an addon Hawk T.1A from the E-shop (email m70atkinson@gmail.com) Order#348240, I didn't notice until after the fact that it will not work with my steam version, I do have both versions of dcs running the 2.0 alpha with Las Vegas and steam version 1.5.4.

How can I get this to work with Steam as I would like to fly in both version.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Wasn't sure that would work, I would have to activate everything again I assume. Thanks for the tip..

There is a procedure to get the keys out if your steam account. You can register these with your ED account on http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

DELETED - Sorry, for the confusion, wrong memory on my side.

When the module keys are in the ED database, you can install the modules in the module manager as with DCS World 2.0

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

After your modules are registered with your ED account, they won't activate on Steam anymore.

Where did you come up with that information??? Keys bought on Steam will always work on Steam, whether you use an ED standalone installation or not.

Please provide a reference for this information if you can, otherwise don't post something that just bubbled to the top of your head.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Steam Keys will activate Steam and ED Distribution,

As the modules arent activated via steam, they are still Activated via Starfoce Proactive.

The difference is Steam and ED Distributions have different Module Managment for Install and Update process.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Steam Keys will activate Steam and ED Distribution,

As the modules arent activated via steam, they are still Activated via Starfoce Proactive.

The difference is Steam and ED Distributions have different Module Managment for Install and Update process.

Sorry, my bad then. I had a memory, of a statement that the keys can't be validated in both databases... Guess that has changed with the module manager integration and the registration database, then.

Good to know, so Module Manager and Steam verify the Key through the same StarForce mechanism and the key is valid per machine?

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Good to know, so Module Manager and Steam verify the Key through the same StarForce mechanism and the key is valid per machine?

Everything goes in the Windows Registry. You could have twenty different versions of the sim, including a Steam version, installed on the same machine and you would still only be using the single activation stored in the registry. I think my max was around eight different versions but I haven't done that in a while.

The testers, and serious modders, around here would be lost if that was not the case.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Guess that was the whole point of introducing the module manager, to fix the hassles with key activations.

Anyway, this makes it even more convenient for end users now.

Simply install DCS World in parallel. Test and check everything runs flawless and then remove the Steam version if you like, or keep it, if you want.

Shagrat

Another important point, to this discussion, is that by using the 'DCS_variant.txt' file, you can use separate Saved Games folders for any of your installations. This makes playing with configurations nearly painless.

EDIT: Aside from the DCS variant file, you could do this even before DCS World, or the module manager, existed. It is really just a side effect of the way Windows and Starforce work.

Edited by cichlidfan

Guess that was the whole point of introducing the module manager, to fix the hassles with key activations.

Anyway, this makes it even more convenient for end users now.

Simply install DCS World in parallel. Test and check everything runs flawless and then remove the Steam version if you like, or keep it, if you want.

The Module Manager had nothing to do with it, Both Steam and ED Versions can run the "protect.exe" file to bring up the activate/deactivate dialog.

Both ED and Steam Use Starforce Proactive, and always have, from DCS:A-10C 1.1.1 to now.

The only difference is steam does the silent Starforce Prompt and auto fills the key into the dialog box.

Steam handles their own Update process and module management.

All you need to move from Steam to ED's Distribution is your starforce license key,

Nothing else.

In fact, if you have Steam's DCS World and Say, A-10C,

You can download EDs DCS World, Install A-10C and Fly without activating again as the Starforce License Key is already activated for that machine.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Ok, now you have me confused, Skate.

I really want to understand this in detail.

If the whole activation is handled completely in StarForce and has no additional checks versus a Steam or EDs key databases, why is it still necessary to bind the Steam keys into your account with ED?

This is only to handle installation?

If I understand that correct one could simply copy all his modules from the Steam install to your DCS install, right? It would seek the StarForce activation in the registry (bound to the PC config) and start any module.

Would online play just require the ED account, or is it necessary to bind the keys to your account?

Shagrat