Getting ready to build a home-cockpit

-Ice

I'm planning to build a simple cockpit for my DCS A-10 obsession :helpsmilie:

I got me a TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFDs, and a Saitek rudder pedals. I'm planning to hit a junkshop for an old car seat and get some boards from the local B&Q and make me a simple 'pit. Having appreciated the TM Cougar MFDs and the switches on my TM Warthog throttle, I now want to make a couple of panels for my 'pit as well. I'm hoping to build an AHCP, UFC, CDU, Electrical panel, and maybe a few other panels as well. Right off the bat, the UFC and CDU alone will pose a challenge simply by the sheer number of buttons I'll be needing.

At the moment, my research has led me to a few options:

1. Leo Bodnar's BU0836X - I understand this offers 32 buttons, plus a 8-way POV (which can easily be make into 8 more buttons). I'm not sure if I can use the rotaris/analog axii though.

2. GGG's GP-Wiz 40 MAX - Again, 40 buttons plus a rotary or two.

3. Ultimarc's i-PAC4 - 56 inputs!

Has anyone had experience with any of these? Or maybe with something else I've not heard of? The CDU/AAP panel alone will be 8 LSKs + 6 FSKs + 10 numbers + 26 letters + 9 misc buttons/rockers = at least 59 buttons!!

So I guess I'm looking at more than one board right off the bat!

Cheers!

- Ice

There is the U-HID stuff http://www.u-hid.com/home/overview_board.php

Its also done by ultimarc I think. I have used a couple of them with no issues. It also supports led's, rotaries, , buttons, axis etc.

It can be programmed so that buttons can be joystick buttons or key presses etc.

I am keen to make some panels and I will use the arduino boards. As I already use helios I want them to integrate with that so that all the sim integration is done and all I need to do is talk to lights/switches etc.

I'm planning to build a simple cockpit for my DCS A-10 obsession :helpsmilie:

Has anyone had experience with any of these? Or maybe with something else I've not heard of? The CDU/AAP panel alone will be 8 LSKs + 6 FSKs + 10 numbers + 26 letters + 9 misc buttons/rockers = at least 59 buttons!!

Cheers!

Hi ice, since I'm in the middle of building an UFC and started somewhat with a similar "experience level" some tips that may be useful.

The board I bought after some research is the Arcaze-USB simply because it offers some 40 switches or 20 rotary and 6 analog inputs and is the most flexible and easy to program I guess. Have look for yourself:

http://simple-solutions.de/shop/index.php?cat=c9_Arcaze-Components.html&XTCsid=c97609569cc1765f2890dd196d9a1a8a

They have a useful wiki explaining lots of things:

http://wiki.simple-solutions.de/

One major advantage is the possibility to use rotary encoders on the standard "button" pins and combine the inc/dec "buttons" to one input simulating a knob with different settings...

For the cabling I used 40-pin IDE cable and plugs, crimped them myself.

If you re-use old IDE cables check the plugs it is common to have one pin connector blocked!!! These are of no use. You can buy the 40-pin connectors at the usual electronics stores.

Since I don't have a lot of crafting tools (no circular saw, no moulding cutter, etc.), just a Dremel multi tool and the usual saw, hammer and screwdriver, I looked for some material that is not that complicated as acrylic is.

I used unplasticised PVC from the local building centre it comes in black, white, grey etc.

It can be cut and drilled, but is not too rigid. It can be glued with PVC glue and the grey PVC I used to cut the buttons (all hand made stuff:D).

Together with wood plates to form the box, or make the grid to support the rotaries it is quite stable.

I chose the UFC because it doubles the CDU, so you don't need it if you get used to the FUNC section. Saves a lot of expensive buttons :music_whistling:

I'll post a picture if the UFC is finished.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

KLaFaille, that's exactly the kind of setup I want to make (smaller and tidier), but how does it look with the buttons/faceplate on?

I think Leo Bodnar's boards (and the like) are easiest to setup, I'm intrigued by X-keys but I do not understand how I would wire the thing to the buttons/switches. I can do simple programming on the "matrix" to send proper commands, but the uncertainty on the hardware-side makes me think twice.

- Ice

Hey Ice, regarding the x-Keys board you should check out this thread http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=63716

CAT_101st will make another batch of matrix breakout boards for it, if he get's enough orders. Currently I think he needs 5 more to sign up..

System: Asus z270 A Prime, Intel i7-7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

Valve Index VR, TM Warthog Throttle & Grip, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 base, TM TPDR Rudders.

Hi Ice,

As that was a prototype / working model, I never put buttons or a faceplate on it. The board was too small in size to fit the face / button combo that I had made. However, it will look something like this when I have completed it, with some more modifications to allow for connectors and such.

The buttons and faceplate are made, I have to work out a PCB and get the box made, which should pose little problems. I'm thinking I'll try my hand at etching my own PCB, provided I can find a board of my size requirements.

The wiring is very, very simple with switches like these. All the ground pins will be chained together to a single pin, and the active pin on the switches will each go to a pin on a header. The female side will all be wired into the BU0836X.

5583603481_c8b428942a_o.jpg

UFC EXPLODED - 1 - 2APR11 by KLaFaille, on Flickr

5582831157_154c9453e8_o.jpg

UFC FINAL - 1- 2APR11 by KLaFaille, on Flickr

KLaFaille, I like the way it looks... That "official" looking UFC is way beyond my reach for now, I'm just looking for something functional. I was wondering what the board and buttons were called..

Dachs, posted on that thread, thanks for the heads up. Wonder what a breakout board is though...

- Ice

At the moment, my research has led me to a few options:

1. Leo Bodnar's BU0836X - I understand this offers 32 buttons, plus a 8-way POV (which can easily be make into 8 more buttons). I'm not sure if I can use the rotaris/analog axii though.

2. GGG's GP-Wiz 40 MAX - Again, 40 buttons plus a rotary or two.

3. Ultimarc's i-PAC4 - 56 inputs!

Cheers!

Here's one other option to look at:

http://www.hagstromelectronics.com/products/modules.html

Cheers,

Colin

Dachs, posted on that thread, thanks for the heads up. Wonder what a breakout board is though...

Basically it's used to "breakout" the connections from the 30-pin connector on the x-keys card, to 128 2-pin connectors for your switches.

CAT_101st put some pics up in his thread, I don't know if you read the whole thing? Heres a link to one of his posts, with some good info http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1090434&postcount=31

System: Asus z270 A Prime, Intel i7-7700K 4.8GHz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080, Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD.

Valve Index VR, TM Warthog Throttle & Grip, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 base, TM TPDR Rudders.

Just check with that GGG Gp Wiz 40 I got one, needed more buttons so got a keywiz40-st thinking I dont need the rotary support, the ST isnt usb though!

Wish I had checked, it shouldn't matter though right?

I think it does matter actually :-(

Hey of you look in the 'how to build a panel' sticky ive done some GGG investigation and there are some other questions there.

From what I have seen so far, I wouldnt build that CDU panel you mentioned with a GGG unless you have room for about 3 boards, the GGG are easy to use for an amateur like me but if you are taking on that big CDU panel I recon you know enough about electronics to use a 'better' solution like the matrix board from open cockpits. (Im not saying they are better just horses for courses).

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Edited by Mr_Burns