GTX 2080ti and VR review

wrl11

Im really stuck now, i have ordered a MSI 2080ti to replace my current 1080ti.

However all the settings and FPS results i have seen so far TBH are same as what i get in the 1080ti

(maybe 2 fps better)

Im debating on cancelling my order and remain with my 1080ti or not

how many have gone from to 1080ti to the 2080ti and noticed a mark improvement. ? a £1300 improvement

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

However all the settings and FPS results i have seen so far TBH are same as what i get in the 1080ti

(maybe 2 fps better)

how many have gone from to 1080ti to the 2080ti and noticed a mark improvement. ? a £1300 improvement

I also have about a week to decide on 2080 ti pre order. I certainly don't think it is good value for money but looking through the threads you should see some fps improvement when cpu is not limiting factor. But it's not going to be like going from a 980 ti to a 1080 ti - we are just hitting a wall in dcs it's not the fault of the card.

Do you play any other games or have a monitor which would take advantage?

For me if I do stick with it I will get nice boost in some vr racing games - plus boost on my 3440x1440 display so kind of justifying it that way.

(maybe 2 fps better)

TBH,if you have a 1080TI, I would advise you to hang fire for a while. It only works for me because I went from a 980TI to the 2080TI and I was always going to buy into the series after the 10s anyway.

Always have ASW on and it is smoother than before, but is not earth shattering. It is more stable however as my old 980 was seriously OC.

Until Vulkan and the promised VR optimizations come on stream, you will be disappointed. No hardware can compensate for poor optimisation.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

2080Ti doesn't offer much performance increase compared to 1080Ti (esp. overclocked). All independent benchmarks show that - you're looking at 20-50% increase in performance, but the 50% are some extremes that could as well be discarded. In reality, you're looking at about 30% increase in performance which will convert to 10-15 fps more. And if you're on 1080Ti and playing only DCS, there is no reason whatsoever to upgrade to 2080Ti, unless you literally have money to burn.

RTX is a very important generation of cards, but I like to think of them like overpriced development kits with ray-tracing onboard. I'd advise anyone wanting to go from 1080Ti to hold until we have 7nm cards from NVidia.

If you absolutely have to spend, you can upgrade your CPU instead or add more RAM ;-), but that is also advisable to wait until 2019. AMD is a real competition now and is pushing Intel hard. 2019 might be a breakthrough year in CPUs, and, if rumours are true, GPUs as well. Supposedly RTX premiere was delayed by cryptocraze, and it is entirely possible Nvidia will release RTX 7nm in late 2019.

If you're coming from an older generation, 1080Ti is a great value proposition - lots of nice offeres from people wanting the latest and greatest 20x0, so you can snag yourself a nice deal. Remaining money can be spend on RAM, SSD or just saved till 2019 ;-)

Always have ASW on and it is smoother than before, but is not earth shattering. It is more stable however as my old 980 was seriously OC.

Always on? How do you turn it off? I've been searching for a while but can't seem to figure out how to do it

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Always on? How do you turn it off? I've been searching for a while but can't seem to figure out how to do it

Couple ways for the Rift.

CTRL + Numpad 1 ( however not always persistent).

Oculus Tray Tool ( I use a profile for each game with my ASW setting to apply ).

See this thread on Oculus Forums for info on the Oculus Tray Tool:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

(maybe 2 fps better)

Have the MSI trio 2080 TI and its much improvement for 4K but not VR IMO, There are some but not much if you want to run at max settings, maybe next gen 3080 TI it will but by then, 8k VR would be the norm and we're in the same predicament. VR needs to figure out how to implement SLI for each VR lens IMO.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Have the MSI trio 2080 TI and its much improvement for 4K but not VR IMO, There are some but not much if you want to run at max settings, maybe next gen 3080 TI it will but by then, 8k VR would be the norm and we're in the same predicament. VR needs to figure out how to implement SLI for each VR lens IMO.

While that would be nice, it would only serve a very small minority ( niche within a niche within a niche).

The combat flight sim devs could possibly help if they ever took advantage of multiple cores. Vulkan should help some of that, not sure how much though.

Future VR technology is where we will see most of our gains, things like foveated rendering, eye tracking, varifocal lenses ( Oculus working on). And of course games that will support and take advantage of these emerging technologies.

Should be good times ahead, but may be quite a ride getting there. I have a feeling at some point in the not so distant future we will all look back and be like - can you believe how VR was initially?

lol.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

TBH,if you have a 1080TI, I would advise you to hang fire for a while. It only works for me because I went from a 980TI to the 2080TI and I was always going to buy into the series after the 10s anyway.

Think this is pretty good advice. Cancelled my order this morning and gonna wait a bit longer on these cards see if they deliver as promised.

Was playing around with 1080 ti yesterday and it runs most things on high with asw in single player anyway. I cranked up the pd to 2.0 and could not really see a significant improvement.

The whole release is getting more fishy as well with still no rtx or dlss despite a few of the titles being available for a few months.

If they come down to around 800-900 gpb for an aib I may bite. I think that is a fair price

Think this is pretty good advice. Cancelled my order this morning and gonna wait a bit longer on these cards see if they deliver as promised.

Was playing around with 1080 ti yesterday and it runs most things on high with asw in single player anyway. I cranked up the pd to 2.0 and could not really see a significant improvement.

The whole release is getting more fishy as well with still no rtx or dlss despite a few of the titles being available for a few months.

If they come down to around 800-900 gpb for an aib I may bite. I think that is a fair price

I think you made a good choice.

My 1080ti does great, but I cant push max on everything for MP. i remember going from the 1080 to the 1080ti and i noticed a 20% gain.

But from all i have read the 2080ti will not give that to start with (not yet anyway) I honestly feel torn between having the latest tech ( will help with other aspects of my pc use) and keeping the 1080ti.

This is one hard decision lol

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

My 1080ti does great, but I cant push max on everything for MP. i remember going from the 1080 to the 1080ti and i noticed a 20% gain.

But from all i have read the 2080ti will not give that to start with (not yet anyway) I honestly feel torn between having the latest tech ( will help with other aspects of my pc use) and keeping the 1080ti.

I know what you mean. My head was happy but my heart was a bit disappointed that there will be no new shiny.

I'm not even tempted. If there were obvious gains that took me out of reprojection I might be, but it's increasingly obvious that improvements will have to come from the software side of things, the game and VR technology itself.

Recently it seems the steam VR is making some very nice changes (if they can iron out the wrinkles for DCS) with motion smoothing and I have more hope for Vulcan than I would a new graphics card.

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

The other thread on 2080Ti vs 1080Ti shows improvement that would make a difference VR, I would think. I'll know for sure after this weekend when the 2080Ti shows up.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm not even tempted. If there were obvious gains that took me out of reprojection I might be, but it's increasingly obvious that improvements will have to come from the software side of things, the game and VR technology itself.

Recently it seems the steam VR is making some very nice changes (if they can iron out the wrinkles for DCS) with motion smoothing and I have more hope for Vulcan than I would a new graphics card.

Exactly. Be sure that the 2080TI is a force to be reckoned with. It's just that the VR software is not there yet. Some games show a 50% increase in performance, yet others show very little. Optimisation is the key. VR is still filling its nappies and drinking out of a bottle with a rubber nipple.

The software will improve

If you had a hypothetical 5380Ti, you would still not see a big performance increase. The old adage for computers applies.... rubbish in, rubbish out.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

My 2cts: I just received my 2080ti (replacing my 1080ti) to feed my oculus, in a nutshell here are my feedback/impressions

- I moved from 1.2 to1.8 through oculus debug tool

- very stable 45fps on all Maps in all situations

- I pushed my settings a bit higher, better shadow, water Max, trees 100% (could give you my exact settings if you are interrested)

My impressions:

1- not a revolution but a very good evolution

2- moving to 1.8 using oculus debug tool, is making cockpit a lot more readable, I’m using a lot less my zoom binding

3- another important difference is when you look quickly left or right at high speed, it stays extremely smooth, it was not the case with my 1080ti

Best example: fly low in a valley surrounded by trees (100% coverage) with high shadow settings, and turn head left or right 90° - with my 1080ti @1.2 it was not smooth, with the 2080ti @1.8 it never goes below 45fps and stay extremely fluid

Overall a lot better experience, due to better image quality (1.2 to 1.8 ) and no perceived drop in fps in all situation, a lot better fluidity vs 1080ti

Does it justify 1.3K€, you are the only one having the answer

Good flights

PS: on top I have a 4K 28’’ g-sync monitor for other games, improvement is impressive !

Edited by Jolk

Intel i9 9900K + 32GB DDR4 + RTX 2080ti

Reverb2 & Rift S + Warthog + Saitek Pro pedal

My 2cts: I just received my 2080ti (replacing my 1080ti) to feed my oculus, in a nutshell here are my feedback/impressions

- I moved from 1.2 to1.8 through oculus debug tool

- very stable 45fps on all Maps in all situations

- I pushed my settings a bit higher, better shadow, water Max, trees 100% (could give you my exact settings if you are interrested)

My impressions:

1- not a revolution but a very good evolution

2- moving to 1.8 using oculus debug tool, is making cockpit a lot more readable, I’m using a lot less my zoom binding

3- another important difference is when you look quickly left or right at high speed, it stays extremely smooth, it was not the case with my 1080ti

Best example: fly low in a valley surrounded by trees (100% coverage) with high shadow settings, and turn head left or right 90° - with my 1080ti @1.2 it was not smooth, with the 2080ti @1.8 it never goes below 45fps and stay extremely fluid

Overall a lot better experience, due to better image quality (1.2 to 1.8 ) and no perceived drop in fps in all situation, a lot better fluidity vs 1080ti

Does it justify 1.3K€, you are the only one having the answer

Good flights

PS: on top I have a 4K 28’’ g-sync monitor for other games, improvement is impressive !

TBH, I think this has tipped me over the edge and made me decide to buy one. What I would say is try the shader mod if you're not already doing so. I tried it with my 1080ti and my framerates jumped. VR with the Oculus is a lot smoother now (ie dp set to 2.0, most settings on high and getting 45FPS at Nevada). The mod is literally a life saver

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

TBH, I think this has tipped me over the edge and made me decide to buy one. What I would say is try the shader mod if you're not already doing so. I tried it with my 1080ti and my framerates jumped. VR with the Oculus is a lot smoother now (ie dp set to 2.0, most settings on high and getting 45FPS at Nevada). The mod is literally a life saver

Yeah would be interested in this also as my 1080 ti is nearly rock solid at 45 fps pd 1.5 msaa off mist things on high except shadows

Do you use process lasso as well I found this helped a lot.

I think if rtx and dlss have some good benchies I am also sold

GTX 1080 SLI to ASUS DUAL RTX 2080 TI OC VR Testing

I've just upgraded to the ASUS DUAL RTX 2080 TI OC and the results are EXCELLENT.

Was previously using (GTX 1080 Founders Edition (x2) SLI) etc..

System Setup with the following hardware.

- i7 6850K,

- 32 Gigs of DDR4 2600

- PCI 16x Ram Drive 512Gigs

- Win10 64 etc.

I have the VIVE, VIVE PRO, and OCULUS RIFT.

I'm in the middle of testing but so far it seems as if I'm getting near 45+% improvements in overall performance with NO Overclocking of any hardware.

I Will send some more info after I get a grasp on what works the best on both SteamVR with Motion Smoothing and then with OCULUS and it's ASW etc.

But so far, VERY good results in the VIVE PRO. :thumbup:

I just put in an EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Probably won't have much testing time till this weekend, looking forward to seeing how it does for me.

Don B

I'll be getting my 4 slot Nvidia NVlink bridge for my two MSI 2080 TI X trios tomorrow, not hopeful SLI will help in VR but hoping my 4k runs more than 130 FPS or more. My single get me close to 100 FPS with max settings but when I use two other monitors and reshader it drops to mid 70s to 80s.

288zh21.jpg

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I'll be getting my 4 slot Nvidia NVlink bridge for my two MSI 2080 TI X trios tomorrow, not hopeful SLI will help in VR but hoping my 4k runs more than 130 FPS or more. My single get me close to 100 FPS with max settings but when I use two other monitors and reshader it drops to mid 70s to 80s.

288zh21.jpg

SLI not supported in VR yet as has been pointed out 1000s of times.

I just put in an EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Probably won't have much testing time till this weekend, looking forward to seeing how it does for me.

I think we got it the same time. It's sitting next to my desk. I'm hoping to get it installed tomorrow. Would love some first impressions from a hardcore VR user!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1