Side slip before trap

oldcrusty

I've done only 4 traps after the latest update and on each of them I noticed some weird gust of wind or something right before the trap. On 3 of these traps I was able to scoot over back to centerline but on the last one I got blown to the left quite a bit and trapped way off center.

It could be related to my Saturday night :drink: type of flying but still... something felt weird. Anyone else noticed any difference?

A sideways burble?:smilewink:

Anyways, here's last few seconds of that approach:

https://youtu.be/eejaYP21QTU

Edited by Gripes323

Like because of disturbed airflow near the back of the boat?

Naval pilots use the term "burble" to describe the region of turbulent air downwind of the ship's island that planes fly through right before reaching the deck.

I tried few more times with or without wind... sometimes I see it even with 0 wind (boat at 25 knots) I could see a slight wobble. I'm OK with a slight wobble from a roll out, what gets me is a slip to the left when I banked right. The highest headwind I set was 5 knots (WOD 30 knots) lined with BRC so perhaps it is some weird wind effect. It's more pronounced when the jet is light weight. I think it's also time to check my controls setup.

PS. Well,,, could be related to this little yaw CAS "gem":D :

The ship makes the burble. That's 25 knots of wind generated by the forward movement of e carrier, which should of course happen despite the atmospheric winds being zero.

You never want the boat speed to be zero for flight quarters. You want the boat to be going as fast as sea room and state will allow to maximize the end speed off the catapult and minimize the approach speed (which leads to an increase in time for pilots behind the boat to make corrections). Example: If a Hornet is going 140 KIAS and the ship is doing 30 knots, then the net approach speed is 110 knots. Similarly, that 30 knots of boat speed is free airspeed at the start of the cat stroke - which is great if you're launching heavy.

Well it would be nice if someone from ED staff confirmed this is part of their work on this feature or something else. "Else" could also be somewhere on my end;)