Losing Interest

The AMRAAMer

Is it just me that's been losing interest in flight simming lately? I don't know if its because I've grown bored of DCS or because I've been more busy and had less energy to sit down and flight sim for a good couple hours. And when I do have the time to flight sim I'm just too tired and not in the mood. Anyone else?

Is it just me that's been losing interest in flight simming lately? I don't know if its because I've grown bored of DCS or because I've been more busy and had less energy to sit down and flight sim for a good couple hours. And when I do have the time to flight sim I'm just too tired and not in the mood. Anyone else?
In sweden we call it vinter depression:) (Winter depression) mostly because of the snow and just a few hours sunlight per day. Ruff times, take your time and dont rusch it. You'll get there again

Skickat från min SM-G965F via Tapatalk

Flight sims have lost interest since the early 2000s. but if anything I feel like that interrest is comming back a bit now. Personally I'm more invested in DCS atm than I ever was. The Viper was (and still is) rather frustrating for me too (which is totally fine as it is EA and I will just wait untill it reaches a development state that I'm happy with), so I keep flying other aircraft for now, which are still a blast. :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I don't know if you play other kinds of games and/or have any other hobbies, but it's good to mix things up and not binge on any one particular thing so you don't get sick of it.

That's a good advice for life in general :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah, good advice.

On the OP i'd say that i was feeling like that 3/4 years ago and lasted for like 2 years which i barely flew (pc), then my girlfriend gifted me a flight in a prop plane for my birthday and i remembered how much i love anything related to flying... then the perfect storm hitted since in an unrelated set of events and closely after that day i got to try DCS on a VR headset for the first time, and from that point i've been more interested than ever before. I can even just free flight with no mission. VR was a changer for me.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

By all means take a break, or try one of the DCS Spitfire or Mustang WW2 Normandy campaigns. Historically accurate and demanding, but in a good way. Blow away the cobewebs with a mission a day just like the actual pilots......then relax.

Cheers

Branston

You do just single player? I could understand you losing interest in DCS if that's all you do.

I don't know if you play other kinds of games and/or have any other hobbies, but it's good to mix things up and not binge on any one particular thing so you don't get sick of it.

Had PLENTY of the moments you mention. Don't worry, you'll get the vibe back. Enjoy something else meanwhile:)

This ^

AMRAAMer, what you mention is perfectly trivial.

Sometimes, I also play other genres than combat flight sims, and also other stuff than PC gamming.

But remember the following:

- until VERY recently, such a big variety of high-fidelity level modules, (either helis, jets, propellers) just didn't exist on the market;

- while it's true that some well known "lite sims" had almost every military flyable aircraft, surely none of them are high-fidelity featured (systems, avionics, flight models) like the DCS ones;

- I've played a LOT of hours in one of those lite sims essentialy because of the Tomcat (and eventualy also tried many other aircraft as well)... although that Tomcat never was at Heatblur one's level, that's what was available at the time, so I got the most I could out of it.

Meaning, today we luckily have access to highly detailed modules for our hobby, but sometimes people just don't feel like keep knowing all that because it takes time... although more juicing and interesting details are there.

Eitherway, doing a break now and then is the way things were meant to be.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

You do just single player? I could understand you losing interest in DCS if that's all you do.

I think this is accurate and I've found that joining a squadron or flying multiplayer energizes me with new objectives and having to learn certain systems. In other words - a reason for flying. :)

Felt like that since 2.5 was released with DCS and shortly after for all sims.

Silly thing is, when I have a go at a flight sim I nearly always enjoy it (unless thwarted by bugs) - but yeah, I know exactly how you feel.

I spend the majority of my PC time either reading, admin & configuring and editing or in VR games - and not so long ago I was asking myself if I should bin those games and just concentrate on flight sims!

Meantime, I'm still splashing on flight sim add-ons and modules :helpsmilie:

I decided not to worry about it and just take it as it comes.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Flying MP with a buddy you are in communications with whether your own missions or another server is a-lot more fun than SP which I never fly.

With and against human pilots is best.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I've been flying both on and offline. Last group I flew with were very friendly, nice bunch of blokes, same age as me, all living not far away, as well.

Didn't make a difference.

Mind you - been flight "simming" since some 35 years and started this one with Lock On. Done literally thousands of hours in the current flight sims, except the latest civvy one, which doesn't excite me anyway.

I was considering a post similar to the OP's when I saw his. Each time I get keen to fly, when I jump into the cockpit it just seems like the same old same old. It takes a lot to actually keep going and then it will highly likely be enjoyable - but next time will be the same.

If there was more going on, it would probably feel a lot better - flight sim worlds are so sterile (yes, for a reason, but still). The reason I haven't given up on it is because of the silly amount of money and effort I've put into it.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Interest comes and goes. Nothing to worry about.

Was about to say that as well. That's just how life goes - with pretty much everything. There's no obligation to constantly like/love/do/enjoy the same thing all the time (unless it's Ben & Jerry's Americone Dream). :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I was away from combat flight simming many years (around 15 I guess lol), owned Falcon 4.0 and Lock-On back in the days. I am coming back now and am rather thrilled to see the possibilities we have in today's DCS. Bought the F/A-18 C, which will keep me entertained for a while. I guess it's normal to have a break of something, although in hindsight I don't understand why mine was so long.

Greetings, Nils :joystick:

--

i7 4790k, RTX 2060, 16 GB RAM

DCS unlike many AAA titles is a long term title. You can safely take a break and come back in a year or two.

I have not flown much myself this year. RL kept me so busy that I just couldnt convince myself to fly for hours and hours...but I eventually will have more time and then the fun and good mood comes back. It comes and goes as years go by and has nothing to do with DCS itself, it's a personal thing and RL firing into my DCS schedule LoL

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I've been a computer gamer/flight simmer since 1986.

The worst burn out I experienced, and that is still active, is for Falcon 4.0. I clearly remember the day I bought the PC Gamer magazine that had the CD included and on that CD was the newly released Falcon 4 demo.

What followed was several years of daily involvement in the growth of that sim. From the late 90's to early 2000's all I did was upgrade and tweak my computer hardware and software to try to keep up with all the mods and user tweaks.

In fact, what happened is I spent far more time tweaking than actually flying the sim.

To this day, I cannot make myself get back into Falcon BMS. Every time I try, all the burn out feelings return and I end up deleting everything.

BTW, this is not a knock on Falcon BMS and its history. It is nothing short of amazing how the user community has kept that software alive and thriving.

Win 10 64bit; 32 GB DDR4 3200 Ram; ASUS MoBo; 1TB SSD;Intel i7 8700K; GTX 1080ti 11GB; Thrustmaster Warthog;Odyssey + VR

I get burned out by DCS regularly, sometimes I am bored with my current modules, sometimes it's frustration with a current version, sometimes just something else that captures my attention.

Sitting in a MP server over the slot selection, not really wanting to do any of the tasks in any module is not unfamiliar to me. If no people are on coms in my usual MP servers, I might not even get that far.

But taking a break 2-8weeks from DCS and coming back, checking out new features, learning a new module or trying a new popular online mission most often does the trick.

What you need to do is build a proper cockpit with vibratey bits, so when you play you also get a massage. Helps keep the blood flowing in those long gaming sessions and your legs won't go numb so much. You'll never want to turn your PC off again. Hell, you might just sit on the tarmac idling sometimes just to feel those goood vibrations..... no, I do not have a life. And I don't want one, thanks to my vibratey bits!

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

The busyness probably exhausted you, but food/diet plays a major role in the mood, and don't eat large meal before playing.

I had medical stuff for the past year and I played it safe staying off the PC more, only digging into DCS sporadically, basically when I'm not occupied by any other thing, it's comes and goes naturally, so I don't have to force myself to play, but I would play more if I had better control gear and trackIR, which I would already have if it wasn't more than a year of medical bills, probably next year! But none of this stopped me from hanging out and buying more modules and keeping updated, and I managed to figure out some bugs along the way too, it's fun enoguh, it doesn't have to be crazy explosive fun all the time. I'm simply taking it easy looking ahead when I get the other stuff out of the way I'll be able to sit down with DCS a bit more, the major thing with getting into this game is we probably need a big Mission Editor overhaul, I did my own fun missions, but boy, I spent more in ME than actually playing sometimes hehe, it takes nerves and motivation that one just needs to have for this game/sim, far more than any other game, but as we heard, ME is getting an upgrade.

And for the common scadinavian depression in winter, that's easy, it's lack of vitamin D3 and other things like lack of activity to get lymph to eliminate waste and less activity means less oxygen due to less breathing. Due to modern diets probably not getting enough D3 through fish and other sea food, which traditional arctic tribes would get, very little D3 in the other foods as it is.

Maximize exposure to the sun by keeping schedule and planning ahead to catch every bit of those rays, even eyes need it for vitamin conversion (a form of photosynthesis in the eyes), but that doesn't mean to look into the sun, and also limits still hold, an hour of hot sun exposure is more than enough for a day, if full body then 30 mins is enough and the maximum D3 will be generated, after that it will not help, D3 becomes toxis in higher amounts so the body will not produce more, in north the UV index is much lower so it may take 3 times as much, that still ends up 1.5 to 3 hours max so that doesn't sound impossible, besides, even if it's cloudy a bit, UVB which is necessary for vitamin D3 generation also goes through the clouds and is most potent when the sun is at it's peak point on the sky, exposing your skin in morning or late afternoon will only feed your skin the carcinogenic UVA which is more leveled through the day without getting the benefits of the UVB, and UVB is the one which causes sunburn, so you wouldn't feel anything from just UVA damage directly.

Don't feel bad about it, but it's hard to suggest more since we don't know the details, but we may not need to as it may be your own stuff outside DCS, you may need to dig a bit to figure out, but I'd suggest to start with the diet, the studies in recent years discovered a big link between the gut and brains, and if you eat something unhealthy like pure white bread or just cheap food, especially sugars of all kinds which mostly are in most foods, the partially digested foods and other non-foods irritates the gut bacteria for various reasons or it makes them produce wrong substances (toxins) which affects your mood as long as those aren't cleaned out of the bloodstream or the body completely, those bacteria have to go to the toilet and they can't go outside your body so guess what happens ... so if you feed them wrong stuff they're going to put out bad stuff and be annoyed instead of some key nutrients like vitamin K and short -chain fatty acids.

Digestion is about steps and conversions, if you introduce a stage of food that the part of the digestive system isn't designed for it'll take it more time/energy(resources) to do but also it will not be optimal which makes sideeffects, some types of artificial sugars basically can't be properly digested and when they come undigested into the later stages they just cause problems.

Here's an extremely effective and quick rule on what took me many months of first hand trial and error to figure out, without taking anything for granted or just repeating what anyone else said, I tested all foods myself, but I do have intolerances (egg, wheat) which other people don't have so it may or may not be fully applicable ofcourse, but it should help even healthy people, so basically I figured out pretty much the whole spectrum is just bad, it's all the cool looking packaging and marketing.

Food ingredients on the chart are presented in the highest amount first order, so the first one is the main ingredient, if either first second or third ingredient is any type of sugar/sucralose/high fructose corn syrup(HFCS) then stay clear of that product. Now ingredient labels are all to be taken separately, because they usually have many different names for the same exact ingredient so the naming may vary, some labels are more descriptive than others, some labels are obfuscated with a codeword (CI77947) or E number, not all of them are bad ofcourse it depends.

But on the ingredients label it would never say "carbohydrate" because all sugars, starches, all count to the carbohydrate section, but they're the worst kinds of them, you need to be very careful with the labels/names, it's very tricky, sugar is a general term for many of them, it could be either one, but usually glucose, it's usually some artificial sugar, saharose, sucralose, white sugar, high quality products started using brown sugar or cane sugar which is better but still sugar so you can't eat it like it's nothing,

Same goes for protein and fat, there's many kinds of protein and fat, and not all proteins are needed for humans to get the necessary amino acids. You don't necessairly need casein, the milk protein, it's not required for survival, nor is lactose the milk sugar, because blood sugar is glucose and nothing else, everything that counts into the carbohydrates gets converted to glucose and it's glucose that flows in the blood, some types of carbohydrates aren't meant to be digested/eaten by humans, some types due to chemistry release/digest way too easily/fast causing a blood sugar spike that has to be balanced by insulin, too much of this roallercoaster of sugar spikes and you end up with diabetes when the insulin mechanism malfunctions or insulin is simply depleted (body can't produce enough, also adding to the problem may be lack of vanadium/chromium trace minerals)

If you must have sugary snacks, on holidays, make sure you don't eat anything except neutral foods such as green vegetables, digestion depends on type of food, protein and fat need more acid, but carbs do want much lower acid level so don't mix the types or it'll be very hard to digest and food will sit in stomach for hours, you may feel very tired at the same time, I had that before and I felt super sleepy.

Green vegetables are carbohydrates themselfs but nothing like fruit or potatoes, and with varying amounts of fiber, flour has no fiber, because the shell is discarded. Fibers will help the food to move and mitigate the bad things in the gut in many different ways, by helping the gut bacteria because that's their food firstly, they also provide a bit of a shield from direct contact of the gut lining, fibers absorb toxins so if toxins do happen they stick to fibers which will remain in the gut until the end and won't go into bloodstream. That's why sugary soft drinks are the words, they're like dropping a nuke down on the gut bacteria, because there's no fibers to act as a layer between the gut barrier and the toxic sugar.

Fruit also has glucose, but another fruit-only sugar called fructose, this one is extremely toxic to the gut lining and the gut bacteria, fruit is extremely overrated and I do not recommend eating more than 1 apple or 1 banana per day, the benefits of fruit with it's great content of certain vitamins, vast spectrum of subsugars and other bioflavonoids and very powerful antioxidands, which are all concentrated usually in the peel, is all counter-balanced with the huge sugar content, two big doses of two sugars, no fat nor protein. So when you eat apple, about one third to a half of the good stuff is in the peel, not in the sweet contents, which contains over 50% fructose in an apple, with fiber, and fructose is only required in small amounts AFAIK, probably could go months without it, the body does not need that much fructose that people usually eat.

Most chocolates are mostly sugar with added cacao and milk, stay clear. But here's the "magnificent 5" that I called them, the 5 key worst ingredients that are the most common out of all and are in pretty much all snack/pastry/cookie/etc products:

• Flour (usually wheat, gluten, it's for birds and ducks, not humans IMO)
  • Milk (low quality processed pr powdered without natural enzyme lactase that breaks down milk sugar lactose, your body only has minimal amount of lactase on it's own, not designed to eat milk in adulthood)
  • Sugar (garbage you never need, it's not glucose, get glucose from potatoes, and subsugars from fruit)
  • Oil (usually vegetable, which is overrated even if correct, other things may be okay, but it only has one omega3 component which is ALA, the other much more important two DHA and EPA come from animal source only, these oils aren't treated well, all oils are very unstable and need very care, probably becomes rancid due to processing and time it spent on air, it's been heated and thus damaged, is not being refrigerated, it probably goes through violent mixers, moreover you can't expect to just take a random plant or one that's not even eaten and make oil out of it and it becomes food, people ask is that real food or biodiesel?)
  • Starch (just more garbage, get the natural one from potatoes and vegetables)

This is basically 90% of the food products in a store, if we don't count things that aren't processed/packaged, it's all sugar and bad fat without much proteins. I would also avoid most milk products except the best quality natural butter you can find, but depending on your case you may have to avoid that as well.

When I say potato, I mean the ones you actually get whole from the ground and you boil them in water, not too much, if they're super soft or even darkened and crumbling that means they overcooked and turned into sugar and it'll work as a sugar spike, need to be careful, just the right spot, if not cooked it's toxic, or sweet potatoes (the red ones), exclusively, all other potato products aren't comparable in any way, french fries, snacks. Cooking works like pre-digesting, the more you cook the more you pre-digest but also degrade the value, some nutrition gets lost, some vitamins get destroyed like C-vitamin, heat and air just destroys it simply, it's gone, so the common thing of putting lemon juice into very hot tea is unfortunately the worst thing to do, so it's vital to also mix with fresh raw food, the less cooked the higher value but harder to digest, healthy people can tolerate and are able, if cooked too much it practically disappears, you'd be eating dead food, void of any nutrition but also overcooking produces toxins, most notably with fats, unsaturated fat is very unstable and not tolerant to heat and air, it will turn rancid fast and it's one of the most toxic things ever, that's why fried foods and barbecue are so unhealthy, it's not the meat, it's the oils that turn deadly, that's why I always slow-boil meat without any vegetable oil at all, for saturated fat, I replaced lard/pork fat with the highest quality virgin coconut oil, on special occasion you can cook with coconut oil, as it is "saturated" type, it's stable and won't change it's chemical property when cooked usually, but still not a good idea to try to heat it up too much on purpose (over 300C, tolerance only goes up to some point)

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria