Selecting PC for Quest VR

Vol4Ever

Finally stepped into world of VR, but my thread will be a little backwards from others. I already have Oculus Quest (which I *love*) and am now looking to buy a PC as opposed to the opposite! Our home desktop is WAYYYYY overdue for upgrade, but honestly DCS/VR is what's driving the specs. I'm primarily an Xbox gamer, and our PC is only used for web browsing, network media streaming, Microsoft Office, etc. But I'm also a flying junkie. Played tons of flight sims over the years (Xbox Ace Combat series = pure junk, even when viewed as "arcadey"!), but will be somewhat new to DCS. The sim realism carrot dangling with VR capability to boot has me drooling. :)

2 primary areas for opinions.

- Desktop versus laptop. Desktop is overall better fit / better bang for buck, but portability of laptop & ability to carry DCS remote . . . . . . . I'm on the fence, but leaning laptop.

- Kicking myself for missing a BB Black Friday special. They had a 17" Dell G7, i7, 16GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2060, 1TB HD + 256GB SSD on sale for $1,099. Currently $1,499.

Unfortunately I don't have an unlimited budget, so I'm watching for deals. Also know that I don't necessarily have to have graphics settings all turned to absolute ultra realism. Curious for those who can testify to a good VR experience on lower-spec'd machines. Budget is $1,000 - $1,500 closer to the lower end is better.

Am I pipe dreaming? To even think about doing DCS VR, will I just have to suck it up and buy a pricey gaming rig? Thanks in advance.

~Vol

HOMEBREW RIG:

MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Mobo, Ryzen 7 3.9 GHz octo-core, 32 GB RAM, GeForce 1660 Ti, 512 GB Rocket NVMe SSD, 4 TB HDD, Oculus Quest 128 GB, Warthog HOTAS & Pedals (finally!!)

MODULES:

F/A-18C Hornet, Persian Gulf Map, Nevada Test Range Map

See my sig for my system which is adequate but no more . The thing is , VR and DCS is addictive , and you will find yourself always looking for more , meaning always in a continuous upgrade cycle , as many here can attest .

This fact alone argues against a laptop , which is far more difficult to upgrade .

Get the best pc you can possibly afford , and consider building your own as you will get more bang for your buck , (allowing a better gpu for example) and the experience gained will be most helpful for those upgrade cycles .

It really isn't difficult , and YouTube and these forums offer all the help you would need .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

consider building your own

This is an absolutely valid possibility that I've always wanted to attempt, but it's a bit intimidating. I've done some self-upgrades over the years to store bought PC's (laptops too!), but mostly stuff like adding memory, swapping hard drives, video card upgrade, etc. For DIY, I don't even know where to start. I know the biggies like case, motherboard, CPU, RAM, graphics card, HDD, etc, but the nickel and dime stuff scares me to death. Component compatibility & fitment, tiny mount screws, power and data cabling, etc. Figure it would wind up like a home DIY project, but unfortunately it would probably involve online purchase/wait cycles instead of just hopping over to Lowe's.

I guess that lends itself to a secondary group question. Has anyone ever done DCS VR via laptop with any level of success? Friends and customers love playing with my VR headset, which is original reason I bought standalone Oculus model. Maybe "portable" DCS just isn't a realistic goal.

HOMEBREW RIG:

MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Mobo, Ryzen 7 3.9 GHz octo-core, 32 GB RAM, GeForce 1660 Ti, 512 GB Rocket NVMe SSD, 4 TB HDD, Oculus Quest 128 GB, Warthog HOTAS & Pedals (finally!!)

MODULES:

This is an absolutely valid possibility that I've always wanted to attempt, but it's a bit intimidating. I've done some self-upgrades over the years to store bought PC's (laptops too!), but mostly stuff like adding memory, swapping hard drives, video card upgrade, etc. For DIY, I don't even know where to start. I know the biggies like case, motherboard, CPU, RAM, graphics card, HDD, etc, but the nickel and dime stuff scares me to death. Component compatibility & fitment, tiny mount screws, power and data cabling, etc. Figure it would wind up like a home DIY project, but unfortunately it would probably involve online purchase/wait cycles instead of just hopping over to Lowe's.

I guess that lends itself to a secondary group question. Has anyone ever done DCS VR via laptop with any level of success? Friends and customers love playing with my VR headset, which is original reason I bought standalone Oculus model. Maybe "portable" DCS just isn't a realistic goal.

One thing to consider is that DCS and VR work the heck out of cpu/gpu , generally leading to thermal throttling , and decreased performance/stuttering with most laptops . Cooling ability should be a primary consideration .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 2 weeks later...

So you talked me into building my own. Selected mobo expandable to 128 mb, populated day 1 at 32. Using AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU. 4 TB 7200 rpm HDD with 500 GB nvm stick drive to handle DCS load.

Second guessing my GPU though. Radeon RX 590 Fatboy supposed to be here tomorrow. That's only component I'm not sure about. Before opening, did I go too chintzy there?

HOMEBREW RIG:

MODULES: