Bought the Buttkicker Gamer 2 Specifically for F-14 - love it

flameoutme

As much as I love DCS F-14 there was something missing - vibrations. So I spoiled myself and got the Buttkicker (Gamer 2) model. In case you are unfamiliar with it, it takes low frequency sound and vibrates your chair. I'm not using any software on it, but by using the low and high cut off I can get just the noises I want to turn up as vibrations.

The afterburner on the F-14 - which sounds awesome anyways is what caused me to get this. After some fiddling with controls on the amp, I am able to feel the runway, landing gear, guns, mil power and especially afterburner on the '14. Yeah.

I don't mean to sound like a walking advertisement on this, and I have no relationship with the device. I'm just a simmer. But wanted to share, specifically with fellow F-14 drivers, my experience.

Welcome to the club. Using buttkicker is a bit like VR, if you don't use it there will always be something lacking ever after.

Had to put my chair on rubber mounts though, buttkicker is very noisy on wooden floorboards.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Does it need a chair with a central post? I use just a regular 4-legged dining chair ...

It needs something for the clamp to clamp to. Although I have found that the how the waves propagate in the chair is dependent on how and where it is clamped on. I'd guess it would work on your chair, but the waves could disperse more evenly on a central post chair.

• 1 month later...

Get software to run it, it's much better. For instance you have the vibration for wings weep, flares, touchdown, launching stores, g effect and upcoming stall......

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

what software are you guys using?

I think it's sound module by Andre

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Welcome to the club. Using buttkicker is a bit like VR, if you don't use it there will always be something lacking ever after.

100% agree. Something else in common with VR, you can't know what an incredible difference it makes until you try it for yourself.

@flameoutme: you kick my butt to push the trigger. Was not easy to find reseller in Europe with price not to far from the US prices but job done. Have to wait now :)

:)

For the F-14, with it's low rumbling engine and massive afterburner sounds, the butt kicker works great right out of the box,no software needed. Enjoy! I do!

Anyone know if this requires a dedicated sound card? I'm not much of an audiophile and usually just have the volume lowish on some cheap speakers so I never bothered getting a sound card.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Anyone know if this requires a dedicated sound card? I'm not much of an audiophile and usually just have the volume lowish on some cheap speakers so I never bothered getting a sound card.

If you use it out of the box, no. There is a Y splitter, and you use some sound controls on the Buttkicker amp to adjust the sound. It works better on some planes than others. Probably the best one it works with is the F-14. I also use it on the Mirage although nothing beats the '14 when it comes to those low rumbles.

Then there is some software I think you can find it on Andres Blog that does require a 2nd card or built in sound. Assuming you are in VR, the headset counts as one sound card.

Edited by flameoutme

I simply cannot fly the Cat with out my jetseat now. Closest thing to "seat of pants" you can get without full motion. I pulled mine apart and embedded it into my custom seat in my pit. yes ground crew really needs to clean up the pit1

image0.jpg

Did you build that whole setup? Got a thread on how you went about it? Been strongly thinking about building a pit that I can still do all my regular games in, something like yours with an adjustable mouse tray and allowing the keyboard to flip out would be pretty neato.

Also was thinking of using a cheap aluminum drag racing seat to get closer to that ejection seat feel.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

• 5 months later...

Andre specifically excludes DCS in his software, apparently, which is odd, as he is an active member of the community here.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone