Intermittent Prop Failures - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-13-2018, 10:31 PM   #11
grafspee

Default engine stop

i agree with Capitan Orso. Every time i encounter engine fail in dcs in p-51/fw190/bf109 it ends up with sudden stop. i have no clue what may couse this sudden stop without even smallest symptom that something going wrong. ofc engine can jamm like this but this process will take a while with many symptoms appearing before this. like smoke form exaust stack significant lost of power regardless of your power setting. engine should slowly go in to full stop maby in matter of 10-20 seconds but not like this. i can tell one thing instant stop like this one in dcs would couse massive explosion of the engine the enormouse energy contained in engine shortly speaking it woul blow off whole engine part of the plane or at least broke off engien mounts form the fuselage. its impossible to stop engine this size without no damage to its structure or engine mounts.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #12
BuzzU

You'd have more warning at low rpm but not maxed out in a climb, dive etc. It happens fast.

I'm not saying ED has it right. I'm just trying to come up with how they're thinking.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
BuzzU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:17 PM   #13
grafspee

Default engine stop

ok at full power setting while climbing it would happen much faster but not instant. but the power lose increase would be noticable. In dive high air speed would help much to cool engine so engine jamm would occure in longer period of time. But in my opinon engine should send some warning before it happens. aviation engines are much difrent from racing engines. So any connecting rods broke offs crankshaft brokes ect are very very unlikly to happen becouse everything is much much stronger than it need to be. that kind of things may occure in case of boost regulator fail cousing to over boost engine by far in other caces ww2 engines are not producing a lot of power from displacment
give me at least 2 revolutions before full stop not instant

Last edited by grafspee; 11-13-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #14
BuzzU

By the time you react to the warning, the damage will be done.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Old 11-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #15
grafspee

Default engine stop

still would be nice to be like in spitfire is now that you got smoky engine before fatal engine fail
Old 11-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #16
sobek
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
i agree with Capitan Orso. Every time i encounter engine fail in dcs in p-51/fw190/bf109 it ends up with sudden stop. i have no clue what may couse this sudden stop without even smallest symptom that something going wrong. ofc engine can jamm like this but this process will take a while with many symptoms appearing before this.

Pistons can jam very quickly and without prior notice, it is not likely though.
sobek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #17
BuzzU

If a piston could jam hard enough it would probably break a rod and then punch a hole in the block. More than likely keep turning over.

I think it was just easier to lock it up when it fails. As unrealistic as it is.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:30 AM   #18
Reflected

I noticed lately that if I use WEP I have a 75% chance of the engine locking up on me, even well after I came out of WEP, and even if I only used it very sparingly, with an eye on the temps. Is it just me?

"The Big Show" Spitfire Mk.IX Campaign
My DCS Skins
B350 Gaming Plus / Ryzen 5 1600 X @ 3,9 / MSI GeForce GTX1070 8192 / 16 GB RAM / Samsung PM961 512 SSD / MS FFB 2 / TM Warthog throttle / Saitek ProFlight pedals / Oculus Rift CV1
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote