Possible New Valve VR Heaset

dburne

I'd be a little concerned about any company that calls 4K in each eye "8K". Its still 4K. Their calling it otherwise raises doubts about how much they actually understand about the technology they're selling people.

This is a minor issue. There is some logic in name and you can give the name of the model whatever you want.

What is bothering me is things like for example 200° FOV how they say it is in specs is actually diagonal, not horizontal. Problem is they always talking about that 200° applying as it is horizontal, not diagonal but on all reviews is confirmed that horizontal FOV is 170° max. We still didn't get that official from Pimax. They continuing that sort of deception to the public even after I put the clear and simple question to be answered with just simple yes or no answer.

Or example with full RGB support. Difference and advantage for 5K+ are coming from fact that 5K displays have full RGB support and 8K don't but they still promote 8K as full RGB displays. Even on that, now obvious deception, they continuing promoting 8K as full RGB when it is clear this is not the case. And on that to be clear I ask simple question months ago and still no answer even all reviews made it clear how 8K displays are not full RGB supported as they still claim in official specs.

I could now count much more issues stayed unanswered or at least doubtfull on what I was point in some posts on Pimax forum and didn't get any official answer on it.

So it is clear, I lost trust in Pimax. Here is no question about justified reasons for the naming product. The problem here is a fault and wrongly published specifications what is direct and aware deception end they continue to do it despite warnings.

Again I'm repeating, from reviews it is clear how Pimax 5K+ is probably best comertialVR HMD in next 6 months but it is clear it is not finalized product and probably will not be in next 6 months and they asking too much for the product in this stage. High price by itself is no problem if the product worth and have future but asking that much to be paid in advance when we are not sure how this will end, especially with an 8K model in which I doubt now will be ever finished as they promise in Kickstarter campaign.

To mi right now looks better to stay on your existing VR headset or buy something who will not lose value too much like Samsung Odissey+ and will be easy to sell in next year, year and a half, after proper Grn2 VR headset will be released no matter which one. Could be that new announced Valve VR Headset.

Definitely, others are coming too not just Pimax who will miss the great opportunity they could have with 5K. Only who will have some benefit from it are Basckers because they will get good high FOV device before anyone else and for a decent price but the future of this product is not sure, at least not yet.

This is a minor issue. There is some logic in name and you can give the name of the model whatever you want.

True. Its a minor issue, and they can call it whatever they want. But, the rest of your post agrees with the point I was trying to make with that statement. Pimax is deceiving people by being deliberately vague about things and exaggerating details. For their "8K" headset, the specs aren't just a name, they're telling you in their product specs that the resolution is "over 16 million pixels". That is false. Its the same as someone having 2 20 megapixel cameras and claiming that they can take pictures with both and get a 40 megapixel photo. What they actually have is two 20 megapixel photos, and if they told you otherwise, you probably wouldn't want to hire them as your photographer. When you have to church things up like that to sell your product, you're probably not going to be selling a good product. The only thing they're missing is a "Bell and Howell" label, and a "former Navy pilot" to sell it in a TV infomercial. Who knows. They may surprise me and make me feel like an idiot for ever doubting them, but its not looking good so far. :D

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

For me the biggest issue of Pimax is:

1. when this device will be available for normal purchase and shipping, what other devices we will have as an option by this time. I don't want to pay 1k euros now, wait 6 months and by that time something better is anounced but I already spent my money on pimax, main reason why I didn't pre-order it.

2. How reliable the hardware it will be, I don't need something that I will have to mod/troubleshoot 50% of the time or to go trough annoying RMA processes to china and back, which bring me to the next point

3. How good the support will be, how fast a potential RMA or how easy it would be to have it

4. How reliable the software will be, I don't need some software which will have shit load of bugs, crashes etc..

5. When they will release equivalent of ASW and how good it will be?

Running DCS with 90 frames is a mirage even now with the Rift, can't imagine with 5/8k. Without ASW it will most likely be unplayable with anything more than a single ship over the sea flying.

I pledged at a whim, I'm not really even expecting a replacement for my rift even, so far from what I gather it seems to be better than I expected.

And pledging during the kickstarter it was only about $450.

I already have lighthouses and wands sitting in a box with the vive so figured I might as well get some use out of those :P

And even though I certainly didn't think it was going to be done by January 2018 I figured they would have something by spring\summer.

Now, like you say it's cutting it awfully close to other more established contenders to release their second gen sets.

But if they had released a 200 degree set 6-7 months ago they would have been able to cash in on the wave of disappointment that was the vive pro.

Yeah Pimax is still a big "wait and see" in my opinion.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Yeah Vive and Oculus both are tough to beat in the hardware department.

And it is sounding like both may have something new to offer us sometime in 2019.

Hence I will wait.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

That is exactly my point. Pimax5K is great product don't get me wrong but the price is too high for that level of quality, for that level of product finalization and Pimax is not some strong and well established brand who is the leader in VR industry so you can expect long term support.

Pimax is Kickstarter company without any reputation who is launching their product with backers money they gather in the campaign. Financial future of such company is still questionable so they need to drag customers with something else. Price is too high to take such risk and invest that much money in the product of the company who is a risk of bankruptcy before even be able to fulfill and ship my preorder.

For that money, we are talking now about minimum 1000$ to reach all possibilities which have one 199$ Lenovo Explorer for example. Only advantage Pimax5K+ will offer is higher FOV and better Vive like lighthouse tracking. Is that worth 800 to 1000$ more with all that risk and waiting time when meanwhile we could get some other and possible better solutions to buy?

That is my only point. Backers do great job, they will benefit from it but for preorder, you have to be desperate to by first possible Gen2 VR, and stupid ofcourse.

Just if you think about Pimax5K+ think twice before preorder it. There is too much doubt's in the air and announcement's from competition to decide right now. Maybe, in the end, Pimax5K+ raise as long term solution but only then, when they prove it is worth I could buy it. Right now, no way.

This is worth to those who even already own some of the VR Headset, Rift is still very good and differences to a some newer is minimal. It is questionable to jump in something new from Rift.

For those who are considering to jump into the VR and don't own VR HMD, for now, should stick to some cheaper and reliable solutions for now at least one more year.

Point is, and I'm talking from our DCS users perspective for any serious game such ED, Il2 BoS or some sim racing as well for Gen2 VR we will need some nextgen GPU as well and that we will not get for at least a year.

Edited by wormeaten

How is a thread discussing the possible new headset from Valve (next gen Vive maybe) turning into a Pimax discussion thread...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Humm, interesting thought, have you read something I haven't?

Just wondering, personally, I'd like to see the Valve logo stamped on it, it'd just look cooler..., or would that be warmer, steam punk, or ...:huh:

latest?cb=20140728044153

Take a look at the original post for this thread.

Don B

Humm, interesting thought, have you read something I haven't?

Just wondering, personally, I'd like to see the Valve logo stamped on it, it'd just look cooler..., or would that be warmer, steam punk, or ...:huh:

latest?cb=20140728044153

Look in the left hand corner of the picture (right side on headset) it's printed on the circuit board.

valve-vr-headset.jpg

How is a thread discussing the possible new headset from Valve (next gen Vive maybe) turning into a Pimax discussion thread...

True but Valve is one of the reasons why not to preorder Pimax5K+ so this need to be clarified as well.

But you are right, let's talk about this new Valve product.

You can see this photo is made in July and a lot of things happened from then. I'm even expecting some little more changes. This could be some cheaper consumer version of Vive PRO with advanced lenses to reach that FOV.

I'm back now again on Pimax5K but just as a reference point for prediction what we could expect in near future in VR trends.

Pimax is first commercial wide FOV VR. All these differences in resolution and SDE we got from CV1 to Pimax8K are minor. Only real and significant difference is FOV. This is a next game changer in VR HMD's.

Pimax shows how for 170° FOV is not doable even with 2080Ti without reducing details to a minimum and even then it is low FPS. So they run at 150° FOV and demanding titles even at 125°.

So for higher FOV, you don't need too much to reach. Just custom made lenses which will fix common VR problem with small sweet spot because all VR now is using standard lenses. Special made the custom lens and some software fix could even extend FOV from 130 to 140° and with minimal investment for developers. So Vive open season with new advanced PRO model and Samsung follow with O+.

For example, Oculus could do the same easy with updated Rift+ with new Samsung displays like in O+. The relation between Oculus and Samsung already exist and if they add to this new custom lens just to enlarge sweet spot and eliminate Godrays will secure leading position for at least the next 3 years. To that, at the same cost, you could easily increase FOV from 125 to 135°. With this will be even better almost like nextgen VR.

I'm expecting VR to go in that direction in 2019 simply because PC Hardware is not ready yet for more at least in the next 3 years. Same goes to some, to be honest, and name it exotic technology like GPU per eye or Eye tracking with proper FR support. That is more depend on support from games developers than to hardware. Eye tracking is existing but who will produce it for an affordable price when no one will buy it without real practical use in games.

I could see how Valve goes in that direction as well.