MiG-29 ACS not working, Stalling on take Off, overly twitchy controls

HGS Hornet

Hey i got the MiG-29A/S/G 2 weeks ago and so far I find it to be rather broken, I.E the auto pilot does not function, very little elevator authority at speeds greater than 500km/h, the plane becomes unresponsive when gear is deployed at speeds 350km and lower examples are it nose diving when gear is deployed leading to the plane crashing I almost have to trim up all the way so it does not crash, the plane is next to impossible to land maybe out of all of my landings 4/10 Are successful, on take Off the plane stalls examples are On take off and aproching Vr speeds the plane abruptly pichtes up even tho with little up trim and, the plane acts funny on take Off when flaps are used.

Also on a side note my Joystick is A Thrust Master T.Flight X HOTAS

I would love to know what are the recommended Curv and dead zones for the MiG-29 for this joystick

Thanks for reading, I hope this gets fixed soon. The MiG-29 is a true beast.

Check all the other recent threads, they go into extreme detail about how to fly the new MiG. It flies like the real thing, it lands great at higher speeds such as crossing threshold at 300kmh for example. Such gear behavior is to be expected, the authority decreases as the system changes the gear ratio to the controls. If you are on stable, go to open beta, the newest update makes it fly butter smooth and more tame

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Yep, this is all on your end. The plane is fine, it's your methodology that's wrong. Read the other 500 threads on this topic to see what you're doing wrong.

Preciselly, every aspect the OP mentions as been spoken already through several topics.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I partially agree. Pitch dampener needs to be adjusted. In all other flight aspects, new PFM is good. Practice with light hand on stick (gigity), when on final, and watch VV. VV greater then -5 m/s will cause a bounce. I had a habit of popping (gigity) drag chute right before T/D. No more. Now I wait until main gear is stuck to runway, during aerobraking, then pop the chute. Without chute, PFM wheelbrakes don't have enough effectiveness to slow down Mig-29 causing runway overrun. Working chute is required. I increased my TD speed from 250-270 kph (with standard flight model) to 300 or so with PFM. I now pay attention to gross weight. Aiming to land with less then 1500 kg fuel, with 1K kg optimal, when bringing back two missiles.

I wish I was certain that altitude affects fuel flow rate in DCS: Mig-29A/S. So that my return leg would be flown at 10K meters ( about 33K feet), where fuel burn rate is optimal for Fulcrums Klimov's RD-33 turbofans.

Rule of thumb for DCS: Mig-29 PFM landing is; Fuel 1K kg or less, no tanks no ordinance, AOA 10-11, VV = -1 at TD, speed 290-300 kph. For every 500kg over from basic add +5 kph to TD speed to maintain AOA of 10 deg.

The new MiG-29's PFM (Professional Flight Model) is pretty awesome. You're still thinking about how the previous SFM (Simplistic Flight Model) was, but the PFM turns it into what it's meant to be. ;) Just takes some practice and time to get used to it - like with all worthy DCS modules with PFM. There's some good info in these replies above already, and there's more in this forum.

With the updated PFM there's also updated autopilot channels, so you should map those accordingly. The "Attitude Hold" is your friend during pretty much all aspects of the flight. Also, you need to trim down quite a bit to get more pitch-down authority.

NB: in-cockpit videos that let you see the gauges during take-off and landing are very useful (and a great testimony to ED's abilities). This is my fav right now:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Hey i got the MiG-29A/S/G 2 weeks ago and so far I find it to be rather broken, I.E the auto pilot does not function, very little elevator authority at speeds greater than 500km/h, the plane becomes unresponsive when gear is deployed at speeds 350km and lower examples are it nose diving when gear is deployed leading to the plane crashing I almost have to trim up all the way so it does not crash, the plane is next to impossible to land maybe out of all of my landings 4/10 Are successful, on take Off the plane stalls examples are On take off and aproching Vr speeds the plane abruptly pichtes up even tho with little up trim and, the plane acts funny on take Off when flaps are used.

Also on a side note my Joystick is A Thrust Master T.Flight X HOTAS

I would love to know what are the recommended Curv and dead zones for the MiG-29 for this joystick

Thanks for reading, I hope this gets fixed soon. The MiG-29 is a true beast.

I have the same stick and I can take off and land no problem with the Mig-29S. I have a fair amount of experience with older sim aircraft without any fancy stability systems so that may help my efforts.

Keep your control inputs small and try textbook numbers for landings and takeoffs and see where that takes you. Probably worth checking you don't have any control scheme clashes or calibration errors on your stick too.

Good luck, it's a lovely machine to fly, very kinetic!

I use 4 points of trim up and take off smooth.

All the other things are like a MIG-21, breaks at maximum, wait for the engines temp reach 600 degress, begin rolling, nose up at 200km/h, take off at 250-290kmh, wheels up above 10 meters height, flaps up above 100 meters

Without chute, PFM wheelbrakes don't have enough effectiveness to slow down Mig-29 causing runway overrun. Working chute is required. I increased my TD speed from 250-270 kph (with standard flight model) to 300 or so with PFM. I now pay attention to gross weight. Aiming to land with less then 1500 kg fuel, with 1K kg optimal, when bringing back two missiles.

I wish I was certain that altitude affects fuel flow rate in DCS: Mig-29A/S. So that my return leg would be flown at 10K meters ( about 33K feet), where fuel burn rate is optimal for Fulcrums Klimov's RD-33 turbofans.

Surely altitude affects fuel flow in DCS - look at the counter above fuel gauge.

Regarding runway overruns:

1. Land light weighted (already mentioned).

2. Decrease touchdown speed as much as possible.

3. Don't wait too long before TD. If over 1/3 of the runway lenght consider missed approach.

4. Do aerobrake after TD (hold about the 10 degrees AOA).

5. After nosewheel touch hold the brakes until about 20kph.

This way you usually don't even have to use the chute.

HOTAS X user here - I even tried with no curves whatsoever and it's totally doable. Normally up to 40 on pitch curve to get precision. No deadzones needed in my case.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Thank you.

Unfortunately , if I go below 290, with 1K-800kg fuel, flaps out, 2 X R73, no tanks, AOA 10-12 deg, my VV increases , and despite my best effort, Mig settles on its own with VV greater then -5 m/s, causing a bounce. If I get into a situation where I am at 270-290 kph, about to TD, and VV starts increasing downward, I find myself with Hobson's Choice . Increase AOA to 13-15, at which time the settle, will cause AB Cans to scrape on the runway, which results in engine fire, and refusal of chute to pop. Or slightly decrease AOA and accelerate VV resulting in bent gear and/or bounce. Engine response is too slow to compensate. So I avoid landing at less then 300 kph at threshold. I know that threshold IAS is 270 and T/D at 240kph, but I can't use those numbers. For now at least. Until I get better or DCS tweaks Mig-29 flight model to smooth out pitch sensitivity.

Thank you.

Unfortunately , if I go below 290, with 1K-800kg fuel, flaps out, 2 X R73, no tanks, AOA 10-12 deg, my VV increases , and despite my best effort, Mig settles on its own with VV greater then -5 m/s, causing a bounce. If I get into a situation where I am at 270-290 kph, about to TD, and VV starts increasing downward, I find myself with Hobson's Choice . Increase AOA to 13-15, at which time the settle, will cause AB Cans to scrape on the runway, which results in engine fire, and refusal of chute to pop. Or slightly decrease AOA and accelerate VV resulting in bent gear and/or bounce. Engine response is too slow to compensate. So I avoid landing at less then 300 kph at threshold. I know that threshold IAS is 270 and T/D at 240kph, but I can't use those numbers. For now at least. Until I get better or DCS tweaks Mig-29 flight model to smooth out pitch sensitivity.

You probably already know this but in case there are people who don’t...

When you know what your touchdown AoA is supposed to be and you have an AoA meter in the cockpit, knowing your landing (touchdown) speed is simplicity itself. Prior to hitting the IAF, simply slow down, extend your flaps and watch the AoA gauge. As it creeps toward the goal, be ready to catch it. Check your speed. That’s where you’ll need to be at touchdown.

Of course, this is something to do just before you’re going to attempt to land. Not when you’re hours out.

Edit: Just wanted to add that, if you VV is increasing, it means that you’ve taken too much off the throttle. When landing, you definitely don’t want to be chasing numbers. Ease on, ease off. The speed trend arrow on the HUD should always be centered but, glancing at the IAS steam gauge you should be either slowly gaining or slowly losing airspeed unless there’s an airspeed you want to sit on.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Looks like I am doing right. Now at least. 300 kph at threshhold, same on TD. Can't go below 290. The aircraft, even if empty, just can't stay in the air. I dunno if -29 PFM compensates for ground effect during TD settle. At 260, I have no positive control over VV. Just to slow VV down I have to increase AOA 15 or higher, at which point nose is too high to see runway, and cans will scrape. Can scraping causing engine fire, chute malfunction. With or without landing trim, the pitch is crazy sensitive. I taught myself to relax grip on stick, where I am not pulling or pushing, but applying pressure. Same as for helicopter collective in KA-50 and UH-1H modules. On X56 it is much easier to use pressure on throttle/collective, because of non-Newtonian fluid in X56 throttle, then on X56 stick, which is just a spring tentioned. I have broken-in the stick, so there is no sticktion and right amount of resistance for me.

Looks like I am doing right. Now at least. 300 kph at threshhold, same on TD. Can't go below 290. The aircraft, even if empty, just can't stay in the air. I dunno if -29 PFM compensates for ground effect during TD settle. At 260, I have no positive control over VV. Just to slow VV down I have to increase AOA 15 or higher, at which point nose is too high to see runway, and cans will scrape. Can scraping causing engine fire, chute malfunction. With or without landing trim, the pitch is crazy sensitive. I taught myself to relax grip on stick, where I am not pulling or pushing, but applying pressure. Same as for helicopter collective in KA-50 and UH-1H modules. On X56 it is much easier to use pressure on throttle/collective, because of non-Newtonian fluid in X56 throttle, then on X56 stick, which is just a spring tentioned. I have broken-in the stick, so there is no sticktion and right amount of resistance for me.

If you have MIG-21 use the same method to take off and landing with the 29, it works.

Sorry no work. TD at 290, aero brake until nosewheel settles about 220-190, then break. 100% runway overrun rate. Must use chute.

Well, the runways differ in lenght. I tried last night your config: Mig-29A, 1800kg fuel, 2x73. Kutaisi RWY08, no wind, clear. TD at about 280, smoothly at the runway treshold, aerobrake until 200, then nosewheel touch and hold brakes. This way I was able to exit safely at about 2/3 of the runway to the left taxiway without using chute.

We can share mission file to stay consistent with all settings.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Well, the runways differ in lenght. I tried last night your config: Mig-29A, 1800kg fuel, 2x73. Kutaisi RWY08, no wind, clear. TD at about 280, smoothly at the runway treshold, aerobrake until 200, then nosewheel touch and hold brakes. This way I was able to exit safely at about 2/3 of the runway to the left taxiway without using chute.

We can share mission file to stay consistent with all settings.

I wonder if his throttle isn't coming all the way back to idle. That's the only time I've had issues...when I forget to fully retard the throttles. At Nalchik, for instance, I can stop for the diagonal runway access ramp with 30% fuel and missiles on the wings.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.