F10 map issues

imacken

I know bits of this have already been reported on, but really, the F10 map is a mess at the moment.

It sometimes:

1) starts in Crimea, which involves a massive amount of zooming and panning out

2) starts hugely zoomed in, again, involving huge amounts of zooming out

3) occasionally starts OK!

4) sometimes doesn't retain position or zoom level which involves again a whole load of zooming out and panning.

I really hope this gets fixed soon.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I agree, the current behaviour of the F10 map is a pain in the ....

In my opinion it should be set, at mission start, to the settings that were saved in ME.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 3 weeks later...
I know bits of this have already been reported on, but really, the F10 map is a mess at the moment.

It sometimes:

1) starts in Crimea, which involves a massive amount of zooming and panning out

4) sometimes doesn't retain position or zoom level which involves again a whole load of zooming out and panning.

Nothing fixed in today's update!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 1 month later...

F10 When in Mission

The current problem I am having with F10 is when you go to it in a mission. In Crimea, FA-18C on a carrier the aircraft show up in the middle of the land mass and no detail data comes up. This also happens when at a land base. This is both in the release version and the beta.

This is both in the release version and the beta.

Because it has been with us through all the updates!

And what about the names that are on a separate layer and move around in weird ways anytime you zoom/pan? That's a major pain in the ass (and a bug).

And yes, it still does it in MP no matter which options you set in the config.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

First thing I always have to do is click on the button that centers the map on me...otherwise I have no idea where I’m looking at. (I also have the “extreme close up”/max zooooooom initial setting, which is 101% utterly useless)

Problem is the button for this is in the upper left corner, and I have a 3 monitor setup so it tkes a few seconds to know where my pointer is...!

Next thing I usually want is to use the “ruler” setting, so I can get direction and distance to my destination...it’s also in the upper left corner, but isn’t an intuitive icon so I have to hover over likely suspects to get the icons name.

Using mouse wheel to zoom in/out requires the mouse to be on the actual map, hovering over buttons doesn’t place it correctly for this.

These aren’t bugs or problems, just inefficiencies that could be fixed by creating a “right-click pull-down menu using words from the button titles.

/right click/center on ac

/right click/ruler

/right click/red veh list/(SU25)/Uzi 1.Uzi 2.Uzi 3.Uzi 4

Etc

Etc

When using F10 during flight, and especially during a fight, speed = get back to F1, which increases survivability. Having right-click menus are therefore a Good Thing™.

Edited by VZ_342

Doesn't the F10 map have some "default" settings, initialised by game when opened. Can we change those?

Anyone know where they are?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Doesn't the F10 map have some "default" settings, initialised by game when opened. Can we change those?

Anyone know where they are?

There is no ‘default’ behaviour at the moment. See post #1.

The F10 map is getting worse. Although the ‘starting in Crimea’ issue has been fixed in the recent update, all sorts of other things have arisen.

Now, the map opens on your plane, but at a huge zoom level, which again involves large amounts of zooming out to see where you are. Also, the map moves when zooming out and sometimes it has no idea where you are!

Additionally, the re-drawing of the sky on exit in VR is still with us.

Very annoying!

The F10 map is getting worse. Although the ‘starting in Crimea’ issue has been fixed in the recent update, all sorts of other things have arisen.

Now, the map opens on your plane, but at a huge zoom level, which again involves large amounts of zooming out to see where you are. Also, the map moves when zooming out and sometimes it has no idea where you are!

Additionally, the re-drawing of the sky on exit in VR is still with us.

Very annoying!

There are many problems that have been reported time and again, that don't ever seem to get addressed. The worst one for me -besides large FPS drops when pilots eject- is seeing momentary desert terrain flash up, when flying over the ocean. Real killer for immersion!

Love DCS, have all of the terrains and a majority of the modules, but rather than new content I really hope there will be a big effort now to polish things up a bit especially for the 'release' version.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

• 1 month later...

It sometimes:

After all this time, these things are still unfixed.

Very frustrating.

After all this time, these things are still unfixed.

Very frustrating.

Par for the course.

Hopefully soon though :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Yes there are. It's up to the mission designer, it will retain the emplacement and the zoom level used when he saved his mission.

It can be quite useful but not many people seems to be aware of this tho

I was completely unaware. Thanks, I will check it out. Looked: It saved the zoom level but was always centered on player even when I saved it elsewhere.

There is no ‘default’ behaviour at the moment. See post #1.

Things like the MGRS and LatLong grid and health bar selections are always the same it seems.

You can set a specific MaxView for the ME map in the .lua files.

But my biggest problem with the map is the performance, it's awful on HDD, I'm planning on buying an SSD just for that. But still, it's terrible, while the map is loading the FPS is like, 22, 20, less than 30.

Another issue is how the map won't render objects that are outside of your field of view. So if you zoom in, everything around you won't be rendered, unless you zoom out. At least that's how it works on HDD.

I was completely unaware. Thanks, I will check it out. Looked: It saved the zoom level but was always centered on player even when I saved it elsewhere.

I guess that's when there's only one playable unit in the mission (Player).

But with "client", even if it's only one, it will retain the exact emplacement and zoom level as displayed in the ME when the mission was saved.

This also applies for the next time you'll open the mission in the ME.

Yes there are. It's up to the mission designer, it will retain the emplacement and the zoom level used when he saved his mission.

It can be quite useful but not many people seems to be aware of this tho

I'm not doubting what you say, but I am talking only about ED missions in various modules- instant action, training, etc.

I would think that there should be some consistency in ED's approach if what you say is true.

I am also very sure that this situation did not exist in 1.5.

I'm afraid I am a little sceptical that your suggestion is the issue here.