Any experience with Samsung Odyssey Plus & DCS yet?

fargo007

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the reports on the forum are very confusing. MRTV ( who's opinion I greatly trust.), is reporting the O+ to have the best visual quality of all current HMD's ( even over the Pimax 5K+.) He's also baffled by some of the negative reports? How can others find the Rift better? Are you guys using at least a 1080TI, or something lessor? Even as A 5K+ backer, I'm about to pull the trigger for this $299 deal but these negative. reports here give me pause?

Any here with a 1080TI or 2080TI , and higher end CPU able to report a worthwhile "better" picture quality and good performance with this HMD?

I think perhaps people have just grown to love what they were used to with the Rift, and the change is a bit dramatic. It uses different software, different ASW, and is designed to sit completely differently on your head (try to push the band at the back down towards the bottom of your head).

One thing people will need to think about when they make the switch is the graphics options - you can't just plug the O+ in with your Rift settings and expect the same performance. PD in particular scales with the resolution, so if you had it at 2.0 on the Rift, you'll need to drop it to 1.5.

Personally, I've just switched ASW off entirely (with the OG Odyssey), and I get great performance at 1.4PD, 2xMSAA with a 1080ti. I don't notice any juddering or choppy frames.

Has anyone got info on that there mmr/asw experimental thingy?

it is called motion reprojection...you have to opt in wmr for steam beta and modify a text file to activate it.

In my opinion it is much better then rift one.

Also from what i know the steam vr reprojection doesn’t have any effect on wmr headsets

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

it is called motion reprojection...you have to opt in wmr for steam beta and modify a text file to activate it.

In my opinion it is much better then rift one.

Also from what i know the steam vr reprojection doesn’t have any effect on wmr headsets

I got mine forced on. You can just set it to auto.

How is in here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220815

Edited by trigen

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Well the negative reports has hold me back from importing the O+ even on black friday sale 300 us dollars. Still waiting and flying my rift. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

It's true that at first the visual improvement is not big, but that's because some weird relation with pixel density and the resolution rendered by DCS. After some weaks I am getting far better visuals with the Odyssey + and it seems to have more room for improvement through PD adjustment.. sadly my 1080 ti can't deal with it.

The ASW is better than the rift one, with less distortion on the image,but it should be activated manually modifying a text file.

I bought one. 300 US and positive reports from a member of my group who has one. I couldn't pass it up.

Don't believe the trolls people.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I bought one. 300 US and positive reports from a member of my group who has one. I couldn't pass it up.

I wouldn't refer to them as trolls, as with any other VR headset individual experiences can differ greatly for one reason or another.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Does this mean you have to use the steam version of DCS?

I'm not sure how this all works.

Not at all. Just set up steamVR via the steam app and run DCS seperately. FWIW very, very happy with the Odessey resolution and framerate virtually constant at 45fps with motion reprojection on. I run at 1.1 PD and haven't seen a significant difference with 1.6.

What we need is an O vs O+ comparison. Given that the screen door is not noticeable whilst playing I suspect the differences will be small.

i7 7820X OC @4.8GHz | Dual GTX 1080Ti | 32GB DDR4 3000 | Samsung 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64 | Samsung Odessey | TM Warthog | TM Pedals

I wouldn't refer to them as trolls, as with any other VR headset individual experiences can differ greatly for one reason or another.

Your mileage varies perhaps.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Your mileage varies perhaps.

Yup. It all depends on what an individual is looking for in their own, personal VR experience. I'm one of many who has a Rift and tried an Odyssey, and then returned the Odyssey. There is an entire thread on this forum with experienced Odyssey users telling new Odyssey users [paraphrasing of course] "Oh, that part doesn't work. Just do this instead.", or "You don't need the hand controllers anyway for DCS. Just ignore the controller issues.". To some of us, those posts are confirmation of an incomplete product. Now, I realize that no high-tech product is going to be perfect right out of the gate. How much you're willing to tolerate after spending $400.00 on something that is less functional than what you already have, and went right to work in minutes the day you took it out of the box, is highly subjective. With a portion of the money I got back from returning the Odyssey, I got the Oculus Touch controllers, which came with an extra sensor. That extra sensor, again, only took minutes to set up. The hand controllers work great, with no workarounds, no random disconnects. Aside from that, the extra sensor has dramatically expanded the tracking zone for the HMD. Nobody here is being a troll. We're just sharing our personal experiences. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yep, your mileage varies. I don't care about the hand controls. At all. I'm only looking for the headset and its tracking ability alone, of course, with its clearer image.

Personally, I segregate the two (headset and hand controllers). I have a few rift games that I do use them for but very limited. VR has a ways to go before I'll really be engaged, but for DCS, the headset is all that matters.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

So can you share your computer specs? Sorry if you already posted. Thanks.

I have an i7 7700K @4.20GHz

Gefroce GTX 1080

16GB Ram

I run smooth 45 fps with rift, shadows, civil traffic, all textures on high etc.

The main reason I sent the SO+ back, was because I did not see enough of a visual improvement that would justifiy spending that much money.

I messed around with steam motion reprojection etc. It gave me ghosting or stutters or whatever it is called. Basically, when i look to the side on the ground I would see the builing almost with double vision. Added to that are the stutters.

What PD were you running on both?

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

hmm. I should have mine in the next week I'd imagine. I'll post my results. I'm currently running 2.0 with near max settings in the Rift. There still some ghosting but no stutters. i think the Ghosting is more an ASW thing than anything else. Not sure though.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

The picture speaks a thousand words.

comparison-full-current.png?resize=768%2C432&ssl=1

made under the same condition so it is worth to compare.

comparison-zoomed-current.png?resize=768%2C432&ssl=1

The same picture zoomed for more details.

Only blind could not see the difference.

And at 300 dollar it's a bargain. Just not in Europe lol. Hope others will pick up the tech asap

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Trolls people?? We just gave you our opinions. Since when something you disagree became trolling? I would rather have both opinions when I buy something

Trolls people?? We just gave you our opinions. Since when something you disagree became trolling? I would rather have both opinions when I buy something

Fair enough.

What was your PD?

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Yep, your mileage varies. I don't care about the hand controls. At all. I'm only looking for the headset and its tracking ability alone, of course, with its clearer image.

Personally, I segregate the two (headset and hand controllers). I have a few rift games that I do use them for but very limited. VR has a ways to go before I'll really be engaged, but for DCS, the headset is all that matters.

Your mileage varies perhaps...

:smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hmm, those pictures look nice. I tried the Odyssey for a few days and saw no difference (to my eyes) with Rift. And the Rift had better tracking. So I sent it back. But looks like Ody+ clearly has better clarity.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1