Gun vibration & standby compass

Django

If you check out this video at 7:30 in an A-10C cockpit as the gun fires the vibration causes the standby compass to swirl around. I think it would be nice to see this effect in the sim.

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Deceleration causes it.

Do you mean recoil???

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

There's a certain negative thrust associated with the gun firing. Accelerations cause compass errors as you can see with every turn, pitch up/down, etc. in that video.

But the "whiskey" compass alcohol fluid is absolutely being vibrated by the gun firing. Bubbles are produced by vigorous vibration. It's almost like there's not enough fluid in the instrument. You can't fill a sealed casing 100% with an incompressible fluid or bad things happen but it didn't need to be that empty.

It'd be a cool visual effect to model in the sim.

If you check out this video at 7:30 in an A-10C cockpit as the gun fires the vibration causes the standby compass to swirl around. I think it would be nice to see this effect in the sim.

Been looking for a mod to do the same thing since I first saw that video.

Always felt the Cannon was lackluster compared to the visceral experience it appears to be irl.

Vibration causes the compass to spin. Something worth noting in the video is that you can see the miniscus at the top of the compass fluid, so the compass has been leaking and isn't all the way full like it should be. This is one sure way we have of checking to see if a compass is completely empty of fluid. We tap on the compass housing, and if the card spins, the compass needs to be overhauled. Ideally, when a compass is overhauled and refilled, the refilling is done by completely submerging the compass in a clean container of compass fluid. The compass is then rotated and rolled over and checked/rechecked for air bubbles to show up behind the glass to chase any residual air out of the fluid. Once we see no bubbles, the filler cap is installed while the compass is still submerged. There is a rubber diaphragm in the back of the Airpath compasses which compensates for changes in air pressure. So, as long as the integrity of the seals on the compass is good, there should be no air inside it to cause foaming. The fluid is there to keep the compass from being affected by vibration. The gun on the A-10 will vibrate it enough to cause it to move, but it won't spin if the case is completely filled.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Vibration causes the compass to spin. Something worth noting in the video is that you can see the miniscus at the top of the compass fluid, so the compass has been leaking .....

Thank you for the detailed explanation :thumbup:

No problem! :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Vibration causes the compass to spin. ... but it won't spin if the case is completely filled.

Thank you for the detailed explanation thumbup.gif

+1 awesome!

Regards, Django.

Ideally, when a compass is overhauled and refilled, the refilling is done by completely submerging the compass in a clean container of compass fluid.

Ok now the Million Dollar question...what is "Clean Compass Fluid"? We always called them Whiskey Compasses...but I doubt that's what they are filled with now.

Great explanation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Ok now the Million Dollar question...what is "Clean Compass Fluid"? We always called them Whiskey Compasses...but I doubt that's what they are filled with now.

Great explanation.

Its an isoalkane, and the used compass fluid I found makes a great brush cleaner for enamel model paints. Its also great at removing every last bit of oil and moisture in the skin on your hands, so you have to wear gloves when filling the compass, or walk around with ghost white hands the rest of the day. As far as that goes, you should go with vinyl gloves instead of the usual latex. The isoalkanes break down latex pretty quickly. I generally haven't done compass overhauls in a really long time. The parts cost and time involved isn't cost effective any more for something that costs about 200 bucks brand new. We generally just replace the compass. If you move the compensator from the old one to the new one, compass swings usually go pretty quickly. If you manage to get a compass where the seals last long enough, over time, the isoalkane will start getting a brownish tint to it, so it will even start to look like whiskey. I think it might even be fermenting in there, because when it turns brown it starts to smell pretty bad.

Here's an MSDS for the stuff if anybody is interested in that kind of thing. :book:

https://www.mach-dynamics.com/sds/sds_712392632607.pdf

Edited by eaglecash867

It was a misunderstanding of a pretty significant visual event going on in that cockpit. The OP appears to be satisfied with the explanation of what was going on, and others who were interested gained some real world insight. The video made me curious about whether or not vibration effects on the compass are modeled, and they are. The compass card moves the appropriate amount with gun vibration, for a properly filled compass. Its not something everybody is interested in, but I'm sure those people just said to themselves "I have no interest in that" and silently moved on to other topics they do have an interest in. ;)