AWG-9 cooling engine load

electricaltill

My pilot and I were trying to limp home after an engagement which didn't go well, on a single engine. Jettisoned stores but couldn't maintain height and eventually crashed.

I didn't remember until afterwards that someone mentioned during the hype train that the bleed air requirement for cooling the AWG-9 is so significant that shutting it down could give you a couple of thousand pounds of extra thrust, which might have made the difference. Obviously I can't find that post now but can anyone confirm this, and if so, whether or not it is modelled here?

Edited by electricaltill

it seems to be dependent on pulling a circuit breaker, and I don't think they're modelled yet.

Nothing to do with circuit breakers. Just put AIR SOURCE into OFF. This will close the engine bleed air valves and increase engine compressor output, thereby increasing thrust. Be sure to place the the radar in STBY though, as shutting down ECS cold air will leave the AWG-9 with only the ram air heat exchanger which may be unable to provide sufficient cooling to a transmitting radar.

I don't know however if HB modelled the effect of bleed air on engine performance. But considering how much effort they put into the plane they sure do (or will at a later point).

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

There is no AWG-9 bleed air CB. Only AWG-9 Cooling Pump CBs and I'm not sure if they would close the WCS cold air valves. Even if they did, the bleed air and bootstrap turbine compressor valves still remain opened, drawing energy from the engine compressors.

Anyway, setting AIRSOURCE to OFF will give you more performance (not only in the F-14, but in any jet-powered aircraft using bleed air).

Turning WCS to STBY and AIRSOURCE to OFF was also mentioned by Hoser (in the post you linked) as a mean to max out your accelartion capability.

Edited by sLYFa

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Cockpit pressurization and conditioning. You wouldn't want it off for long. Another BS technique really.
I did consider that but under our circumstances, <1000ft amsl, that wouldn't have been a factor and the extra power could have been just enough to get back...if it's modelled.

I did consider that but under our circumstances, <1000ft amsl, that wouldn't have been a factor and the extra power could have been just enough to get back...if it's modelled.

You and your weapons system will be cooked in short order. The amount of extra thrust, if any is arbitrary, as is engine stall margin with the bleeds closed. In short, no one knows what the goods and others are for this. The engines on the B have so much thrust that I can't imagine this making a difference at all.

Everyone constantly looks for shortcuts when they should be focusing on practicing their flying.

Go out and practice being smooth in a variety of maneuvers at altitude, no matter what you are trying to refine. Seems to me that people are struggling to learn to fly a standard airplane, that isn't dumbed down and flies like an airplane, and can't grasp that it isn't the platform.

Viewpoints are my own.

it can be tough coming to grips with the fact that flying isn't all that "fun" -- not in the hollywood sense. it doesnt help that airshows, highlight reels, and veteran's accounts tend to be very good about cutting out all the 99.9% of the critically mundane busdriving that forms the bread and butter of combat aviation.

but yeah tricks get you nowhere

let me tell you about all those nice harrier players who would brake right into my guns because they were so damn eager to show off their viff...

Edited by probad