P51 Pitot and Gun heat switches

I am wondering if there is any rules of thumb or recommended temperatures or altitudes of when to turn these switches on. Around what temps do pitot and guns start to need heat?

i would turn on gun heat when your carb temp is around 0 celcius

pitot heat should be always ON imo unless its super warm

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

pitot heat should be always ON imo unless its super warm

Not necessary at all. OAT goes zeroish and there's precipitation, yah, just turn it on to be on the safe side though.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Except that DCS allows for pitot icing at altitude regardless of weather conditions.

The pitot on the A-10C freezes every flight above FL120 even in CAVU conditions over Nevada.

what about cocpit fogging ?? is it modeled ??

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Hmmm... OK. Didn't think about that since I'm a groundpounder and usually stay low and slow.

if you flying in day at good weather pitot is not esential to flying p-51 anyway you can eyeball every landing and take off

SOP is that pitot is turned on directly before take-off, ie while doing run-ups or directly on the runway. You don't turn the heating on while starting the engine, because without airflow the heating element can overheat and burn out.

It would be really dumb if you did not turn pitot heating on, bc you thought, "oh, I want be needing it at low altitude", and then you actually have to go higher up, and forget to turn it on. Ergo, always turn it on as a part of SOP. The same goes for the gun heating.

I don't recall ever having seen the canopy fog-up in winter or at high altitudes, and I've flown a lot in both.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Damn the SOP, I turn it on just before takeoff if I need it :D No, you guys are absolutely right, it never hurts to turn it on unless you do it too early and the heater element burns out because there's no airflow. But flying the Hip f.ex. I usually stay NOE and only use the deicers / anti-icing if I need them, because I don't want anything unnecessary switched on. But yeah, with the P-51 I should probably do what you do and just turn them on before takeoff...

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.