Are we ever going to see new WWII themed stuff?

kitsunelegend

I've been playing around with the WWII assets and Normandy (which I just purchased btw) and noticed that there seems to be a general lack of options for making missions based off of WWII...

Currently, there are 0 German or Axis bombers at all. The current listing of ships is... extremely lacking outside US based stuff... and as far as I can tell, theres almost no US AAA stuff (Though I didn't really look that hard)

Its kind of frustrating tbh. Its been a pretty long time now since the asset pack came out, and I haven't seen really any additions to it... I know DCS WWII isn't exactly a huge priority, but come on... you're selling the pack alone for like $30 USD when its not on sale... Thats a good amount of money for something that honestly feels incomplete overall...

So yeah... is there a time frame for when we can expect more WWII assets? I would love some battleships, cruisers, axis bombers, more allied AI planes and ground vehicles... They dont even have to be super detailed, I just want some targets to use for missions I'm trying to create...

Also, some more documentation of how to set up WWII AI bombing and fighter stuff would be nice. Having to google how to set up a bombing run with the B-17s took far far too long, and led me in a circle at least once... rather frustrating...

I dont get it, the e-shop page has a clear list of what the pack includes: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/wwii_assets_pack/

Why purchase it and then immediately run to the forum to whine about what it doesnt include?

When I purchase a DCS module, I first gather information about it in order to make good purchase decisions ... that way I’m usually happy with what I purchase.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I'm not upset because I just bought it, I'm upset because I bought the pack shortly after it came out, and so far, nothing has been added to it. I bought it under the impression more stuff would continue to be added to it, yet nothing has been added since it first came out.

It makes it feel unfinished and abandoned almost.

I'm not upset because I just bought it, I'm upset because I bought the pack shortly after it came out, and so far, nothing has been added to it. I bought it under the impression more stuff would continue to be added to it, yet nothing has been added since it first came out.

Exactly this.

Though, hopefully ED will release those AI units next year, which isn't far away.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AFAIK the Allied side doesn't have a heavy flak gun but there is a 40mm one. The lack of bombers is more of an obvious omission - for fighters we are pretty well covered already. Basically I'm happy with WW2 stuff save the bombers - there's other stuff missing in DCS that is more urgent.

It's a bit of an issue with the whole DCS - the scope is very broad, it's a bit all over the place and ED wants to make it extremely detailed. A bit of a challenge to make any area complete in anything that's a reasonable time.

Also the asset pack is sold with a deep discount with the map... a rather sane policy...

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

OK, sorry I misunderstood you ... and I can agree that development has been really slow, tough I wouldnt say that nothing has been added: if memory doesnt fail me, the trains were added after release, same with the Liberty ship, the flak guns and some of the armored vehicles were also added later.

Like you, I also purchased this when it first came out, on March 2017 and with the 20% discount and purchased in a bundle with Normandy the cost was US$40 for the Map and US$8 for the assets .. I would have never purchased it at list price.

What I've done over these 18 months is gather every WW2 MODs I could find .. that has helped a lot to flesh out my WW2 missions, for example:

veN5PAw.jpg

EsyLRv0.jpg

ZSNPMHm.jpg

iGdIIUK.jpg

hqhmvZR.jpg

LPSG2rh.jpg

y2XDvHW.jpg

Its a pity that currently it is hard to get most of these Mods since they were removed from ED's website due to copyright issues :(

A last thing: I've found that the Assets Pack includes far more than what its listed on the e-shop page ... there are quite a few fortification objects, I'm using them to build a Static Template with the different Atlantic Wall beaches, to have as background for some missions ... still far from completion tough :(

Best regards

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Pardon? After release on 2017 and follow 2018, the WW2 team has added a appreciable list of new units.

-M-1 Barrage Balloon

-Kommandogerät 40

-M-12 GMC 155mm Artillery

-M-30 Cargo Carrier

-LCVP Higgins

-Horch 901 Type 4 kfz 21

-M2A1 Halftrack

-Sd.Kfz.2 Kettenkrad

-Sd.Kfz. 234/2 Puma

-Sd.Kfz. 251

-Sd.Kfz. 7

-StuG IV

-DR 50 Ton Flat Wagon Type SSys

-DRG Class 86 Stream Locomotive

-G10 covered wagon

-Tank wagon

And more has in progress (some of them into DCS WW2 pack directory, but not integrated):

-A-20G Havok Light Bomber

-Bf 109 G

-C-47 Dakota

-Ju-88

-Mosquito

-Fw-190 A-8

-P-47D

-Me262

-He111

-E-boat Schnellboot type S-130

-Type VII-С/41

-M10 "Wolverine" tank destroyer

-Flak-41 *

-Flakscheinwerfer 37 *

-Maschinenstz 33 *

-StuG III *

-RP-3 rocket (AP & HE) *

-250 lbs Bomb *

The last WW2 pack update (surely texture and some 3D model fixes) was on December, 20 2018.

Remember the December, 21 Newsletter

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3729121&postcount=175

Coming next year, we have new AI air units like the P-47D, Ju-88, Fw 190 A-8, A-20G, C-47, Bf 109 G, Mosquito, C-47 and others taking to the skies of DCS World War II. Of these, we are already at work making the P-47D, Fw 190 A-8 and Mosquito flyable. In parallel, the new damage model system is now being applied to all our warbirds.

And only talking about WW2 AI air units. And from russian forum talk in a future, add towed artillery. The WW2 pack has on continue develop, the same situation to the DCS World AI core units and weapons.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Do you have a link to where I can get those mods? I've tried looking around, but could never find anything worth while...

Most were deleted a while ago, but there are still some surviving ones:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?set_filter=Y&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=5&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=markindel&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

Also, how the heck are free mods able to get copy right issues? I thought that was a thing, especially since they from freaking WWII vehicles...

If you take a 3D model made by someone else, say for FS-X, and modify it yourself for running on DCS, you may be infringing on the rights of the original 3D modeller unless you get ther written consent first.

Pardon? After release on 2017 and follow 2018, the WW2 team has added a appreciable list of new units.

-M-1 Barrage Balloon

-Kommandogerät 40

-M-12 GMC 155mm Artillery

-M-30 Cargo Carrier

-LCVP Higgins

-Horch 901 Type 4 kfz 21

-M2A1 Halftrack

-Sd.Kfz.2 Kettenkrad

-Sd.Kfz. 234/2 Puma

-Sd.Kfz. 251

-Sd.Kfz. 7

-StuG IV

-DR 50 Ton Flat Wagon Type SSys

-DRG Class 86 Stream Locomotive

-G10 covered wagon

-Tank wagon

It's been 18 months; in my opinion the list of added units is not impressive at all. Let's hope 2019 will bring the announced AI planes.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Most were deleted a while ago, but there are still some surviving ones:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?set_filter=Y&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=5&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=markindel&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

If you take a 3D model made by someone else, say for FS-X, and modify it yourself for running on DCS, you may be infringing on the rights of the original 3D modeller unless you get ther written consent first.

Thanks, I will give these a look.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, but it seems most of those no longer seem to work with DCS 2.5...

Did you actually tried some, or are judging by the Mod's date? I took the first on the list: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2165399/

I was curious to see how it compared with the Tiger I of the WW2 Assets Pack .. as most people seem to believe that Mods are inferior to what ED produces :)

This is the Tiger I of the Asset Pack:

MDIexWR.jpg

It is not Combined Arms compatible, so the "Player can drive" is disabled, and contrary to what the liveries list says, it really has just this one livery .. they are all the same:

BeBsTFx.jpg

On the other side, Markindel's Tiger I cames with four models, each with a different livery: Desert, Fores, Standard and Snow:

2mDHwiS.jpg

This is the Desert version, it has the nice detail of a visible tank commander ( tough he doesnt look blonde enough to be a true arian :) ):

e5OAMXr.jpg

Contrary to the one of ED, this one can be driven on Combined Arms, and it fires and has smoke effects:

LX3m5J4.jpg

Unfortunately, it doesnt have sound, so the firing is muted ... tough probably if I reached for Markindel's he would probably take a look and see if it can fix that .. on my case I dont mind since I will use these tanks as axis targets on my missions, so their firing sound doesnt really matter to me.

This is the Forest livery:

xAXxrF0.jpg

Snow Livery:

817WrQo.jpg

and standard german grey:

Pc7BpLy.jpg

All Mod variants can be used at the same time, and in fact can also be used alongside the Tiger of ED:

E9vPSd4.jpg

2IwbFGG.jpg

So ... you should really give these Mods a try before just quickly dismissing them :)

Best regards

Edited by Rudel_chw

A Copy / Paste of the CA functionality.....

So? .. I was just stating the facts as I see them on the Mission Editor, one is driveable and the other is not.

To the developers of the WW2 Assets Pack.

Thanks for a wonderful package to go with Normandy.

However unless I have missed something, and it's likely I have being this new to the program, I would love to see a variety of load outs for the B-17s.

Currently all we have are the M43 500 lb. But according to Mr. Roger A. Freeman, in his book "The Mighty Eighth, War Manual" on page 222 where he starts a chapter on bomb loads the 8th carried, he lists the following:

• M30 100 lb
  • M31 300 lb
  • M43 500 lb
  • M44 1,000 lb and the
  • M34 2,000 lb.

But that's not all he also states that the 8th carried these as well:

• M50A1 4 lb incendiaries in 100 lb clusters and 500 lb clusters
  • M1 120 lb fragment for use against troops

And later in 1944 Napalm was dropped by the 8th in 108 gallon fighter drop tanks and became known as Class C Fire Bombs, these came with a incendiary ignitor affixed to the tanks which of course ruptured on contact.

Thanks again for such a wonderful asset package and I look forward to future improvements and additions.

Respectfully,

Snuffy

Edited by Snuffy