DCS P-51D Flight Manual

secret1962

P51 Mustang Manual

Maybe this means there is a new patch coming as well.

Over in the P51 forums there is a link to the manual for the upcoming DCS P51D.

Guess this means it's coming soon. :thumbup:

I would assume they would also be releasing the next patch around the same time.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Hmmm. Noticed this:

"Gusty Landings

In a gusty wind condition, maintain speeds slightly faster than normal to minimize the likelihood of a sudden loss of lift between wind gusts. Watch for the effect of gust on the aircraft. The gust tends to have a ballooning effect. Then, when the gust quits, the aircraft may drop as lift is reduced, resulting in an impact with the ground.

Use about half flaps when performing a landing in gusty conditions."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

As has been stated, there are several effects at work.

The first is that it's a tail dragger, that means that the center of gravity is behind the main wheels, which makes it inherently unstable. If you enter a sharp turn, a taildragger has the tendency to sharpen the turn all by itself, so there is a certain "point of no return", once your turn radius is too small, you can give as much opposite rudder as you want, the plane is still going to sharpen the turn. This makes it of the uttermost importance that you pay all your attention to keeping her lined up. At higher speeds, even a gentle turn can end up in ground loop if you don't countersteer immediately.

Second, P-Factor, that is, the tendency of the prop to produce more thrust on one side if the air moves through it at an angle (e.g. at ground attitude). P-Factor can absolutely ruin your day if you try to put the tail up too early. It kicks in at speeds where the rudder has very little authority still, so you musn't get the tail up too early to still enjoy the steering authority of the tail wheel. It is also tricky because it's very strong when the tail starts to rise, but as AoA decreases, so does P-Factor, so you must really dance on the rudder a lot to keep her lined up.

The third is torque, that has already been mentioned.

Edit: There's the gyro-effect, too, i forgot about that. The force of the gyro effect is dependant on prop RPM and angular speed.

I know all this stuff from flying, "Aces High" for 5 years. But I suspect the DCS: P-51 is going to be a heck of a lot more realistic than that sim/game.

And Aces High incorporates these effects within their takeoff portion of their game engine. Aces High: If I land to refuel, I have to taxi, and take-off manually for another sortie, not re-spawning a new plane. It is very easy to become a messy spot on the runway of blood, guts, oil, and gas and toasty barbeque!

Edited by ErichVon

Hmmm. Noticed this:

"Gusty Landings

In a gusty wind condition, maintain speeds slightly faster than normal to minimize the likelihood of a sudden loss of lift between wind gusts. Watch for the effect of gust on the aircraft. The gust tends to have a ballooning effect. Then, when the gust quits, the aircraft may drop as lift is reduced, resulting in an impact with the ground.

Use about half flaps when performing a landing in gusty conditions."

I was to Pennsylvania's Hershey Park's flower garden with my ladies, bored out of my mind, on a very windy day. Wind is just varying air pressure differences. This garden overlooked a small, private airport. Every plane coming in over the runway, came in pretty fast, much faster than I would think would be possible. No accidents that day. I observed on a hill for a couple of hours. They had fun, I had fun.

Edited by ErichVon

When the P51D is released, for those who have only experienced flying jets, you are going to be surprised at the torque effect of a propeller!

To avoid initial tears of frustration, I strongly advise that you set auto-rudder, and take off assistance mode.

As you gain experience, you can unclick these options.

Ideally you will have a set of pedals. If you are using a HOTAS to control rudder, careful set-up is required.[/quote

I saw that. I turned them off. That, is for sissies, not me. I fly DCS for the relative realism.

I would think, these little things attributed to the high attrition and flunk-out rate of that era fighter jocks.

I worked with a guy that graduated fighter combat school in WWII to end up flying gliders into France that had a sink rate comparable to the Space Shuttle. He said, once landed and stopped, he then graduated to a combat grunt fighting his way out. His reward? Another glider trip!

Hmm. My quick and dirty startup checklist:

=== Pre-Start ===

Flight Controls: CHECK

Parking Brake: SET

Stick Lock: NEUTRAL

Fuselage Fuel Gauge (Shoulder): CHECK

Left Fuel Gauge (Floor): CHECK

Right Fuel gauge (Floor): CHECK

Flaps: UP

Carburetor Ram Air Control: FORWARD unless filter required

Carburetor Hot Air Control: FORWARD unless hot air required

Rudder Trim: 6* RIGHT/As Desired

Elevator Trim: 2* NOSE HEAVY (4* with tanks)

Aileron Trim: 0*/As Desired

Landing Gear Handle: DOWN **Do not raise gear on ground**

Mixture: IDLE CUT-OFF

Propeller Control: FORWARD

Throttle: 1 Inch OPEN

Gunsight Gyro Power: ON

Gunsight Mode: As Desired

Gunsight Brightness: As Desired

Weapon Selector Switch: SAFE

Bomb Arm Switches: OFF

Gun/Camera Switch: OFF

Altimeter: SET

Directional Gyro: UNCAGE

Flight Indicator: UNCAGE

Supercharger: AUTOMATIC

Fuel Booster: ON

Ignition: BOTH

Fuel Shutoff Valve: ON

Fuel Tank Selector: LEFT WING

Battery: ON

Generator: ON

Position Lights: ON/CHECK

Cockpit Lights: CHECK/As Desired

Signal Lights: As Desired

Landing Gear Lamp: TEST

Supercharger Lamp: TEST

Oxygen Gauge: 400 PSI

Radiator Cooler: TEST/AUTOMATIC

Oil Cooler: TEST/AUTOMATIC

== Start-Up ==

Prime Engine: 3-4s if cold, 1s if hot

Starter Switch: START (Hold)

Mixture: RUN (When engine catches)

Oil Pressure: 50 PSI within 30 seconds

Warm-Up Idle: 1200-1300 RPM to 40*C oil temp, steady pressure

Suction Gauge: CHECK 3.75"-4.25"

Engine Instruments: CHECK

Idle: ~1000 RPM

If engine cuts out, set mixture to IDLE CUT-OFF.

Re-prime 1s for restart.

Starter is good for 4 attempts before 5 minute cool-down. (Check me on this!)

== Engine Stop ==

Prop Control: FULL FORWARD

Idle: 1500 RPM

Fuel Booster: OFF

Mixture: IDLE CUT-OFF

Throttle: Open below 700 RPM

Ignition: OFF

Electrical Switches: OFF

Stick Lock: NEUTRAL

Carburetor Ram Air: AFT

That's the detailed list after comparing my own experiences with the user manual and startup tutorial. If you want a pdf version, go ahead and make one. I probably won't get around to it for a while.

Edited by flightace37

- WH_Mouse

Hmm. My quick and dirty startup checklist:

[...]

That's the detailed list after comparing my own experiences with the user manual and startup tutorial. If you want a pdf version, go ahead and make one. I probably won't get around to it for a while.

It wouldnt be bad if you would create one, since you put everythings together already. It mustnt be that much detailed, simply easy overlookable, preferably on one page. Once you did that attach that one to the DCS P-51 Tutorial Collection / Start up Tutorials...by that you´d earn a lot of positive feedback.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

@MemphisBelle:

It seems I've been tapped to write my squad's DCS Mustang checklist, so I'll get that done along the line, then see about making it available to the general population. I could include a quick-start checklist that folks could use if they don't want to look at the long version, but my squad is focused on realism, so our full checklist will be as detailed as the real thing.

- WH_Mouse

There is one already written for those who are interested.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=87403

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

mustang.jpg.544f3f05bf0aa608e04604c044dae044.jpg

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

Very nice! :)

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Very nice! :)

Thanks, took less then 4 minutes to print it all in color on a Canon MFP, 4 minutes for the glue binding (even less, however you need to let it cool off a bit), then 2 min to chop the sides off for an even look :smartass: When you have the right equipment at your disposal, it makes all the difference :smilewink: One more on top of the rest of my collection :book:

collection.thumb.jpg.0afcef1034506cb582cf7e6f994dbd64.jpg

Edited by TheMoose

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

I will wait to bind until it is actually finished.;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

That makes sense!

But on the other hand, the A-10C manual is still changed as we speak :D

Which is why mine is still printed on cheap paper,covered in notes, and in a three ring binder.