BFM Turning Defensive to Offensive Advice

Scotch75

Hey Folks,

I have been trying to practice BFM offline SP with F-14, F-18, F-16 etc, in missions spawning random AI CAP, usually transitioning from BVR to WVR. Although I don't know many tactics, I'm ok using the F-pole manoeuvre to close the range, trying to keep the bandit defensive. However, at some stage the bandit often defeats my missiles, then will get a radar missile shot off at me (I'm aware the AI is an omnipotent UFO lol).

As soon as I get the launch warning my initial defensive action is to crank to beam the missile, dive towards the ground to gain speed, get into the thicker air and ground clutter, then chaff regularly.

From this point on, I am never able to get back to a neutral or offensive stance, as the bandit just sits above me regularly launching radar missiles, then closes in to a point where I can't turn back into him or gain altitude without getting a heater in the face.

So, I was seeking advice on some tactics to use in the above circumstance to help turn the tide as I would like to eventually get into MP or even PvP, and not be a total dope lol..

Thanks in advance...

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

I find excellent AI very difficult in this circumstance. He always manages to dodge phoenixes launched from well within Rne (inside 30 miles at high altitude). He always seems to manage to dodge my BVR missiles, then snapshots one at me. I skate and go defensive like you.

It’s funny, lower level AI is very easy to defeat, but those excellent ones are super human. I don’t know how they do it, but they dodge everything thrown at them.

At that point, your options are extremely limited. Basically your only tactic available is to run for help, go towards friendly unengaged fighters or friendly SAM coverage. Once you’re defensive within minimum abort range, you can’t re-engage without help. If he goes defensive against friendly fighters or SAMs, then you can use the opportunity to reengage, or disengage for home.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the description of your problem, you are over defending, which admittedly isnt as bad as underdefending. Linking a tacview of a typical engagement would be helpful, but I think the first thing I see is that you are over-using the notch, and not being able to recommit in time. You need to initially practice respecting the minimum abort range (MAR), and using your abort option a lot more. This is known as a skate/short skate gameplan. Heres a video I made regarding it:

. I cover a lot of this stuff in this BVR document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ytii9JWW2LXyAXDMYs6BiLfJy8K4cB09/view. Its kinda long, but I think it will help you.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Many thanks for the advice guys . It is unnerving knowing there is an active missile out there somewhere without being able to see it, know that it has been defeated, then having the confidence to not turn back into it to kerp the bandit from lobbing another one at you.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM