2.5 trees: beautiful but potential cheat :)

Jolk

Hi,

Playing with "tree slider" in game, moving it to 0, reveals units and players (helicopter in particular).

How about having an option in mission/server to force tree at 100%?

Intel i9 9900K + 32GB DDR4 + RTX 2080ti

Reverb2 & Rift S + Warthog + Saitek Pro pedal

While trees affect performance so heavily, forcing them to 100% would be a severe issue for those without 1080ti's.

What about link unit visibility to tree position? If I don't see a tree because of the draw limits, I shouldn't be able to view units behind them too. A sort of "transparent mask" based on trees position.

• Like 1

While trees affect performance so heavily, forcing them to 100% would be a severe issue for those without 1080ti's.

What about link unit visibility to tree position? If I don't see a tree because of the draw limits, I shouldn't be able to view units behind them too. A sort of "transparent mask" based on trees position.

Absolutely this.

Used by ArmA too.

The tree slider is about tree visibility, isn't it? not the percentage of trees displayed. At least that's how I understood...

No...check it yourself...it´s about how many trees per square. Interesting though: anything above ~ 87% has no effect on number of trees (at least I could not see it).

About the cheating: ok...if someone needs cheating instead of having a beautiful rendered scene...welcome kid.

If ED would set a fixed number of trees it will cause a lot of people not beeing able to play the game due to their computer limits. Trees do not much about FPS on state of the art machines...but no everyone can afford that.

Guess we will have to live with that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

Even on 1080Ti -especially in VR- every little helps and you have to strike a balance.

It would be nice -on/in SP/mission editor only- if trees could be set according to how many you want rather than simply the visibility. Turn them off, and they are simply invisible and I fly into them and crash (I fly helie's)!

That said I'm loving the new trees, flying into the forests to evade fire, is a whole new kind of fun, and much better than those transparent ghost trees we used to have!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

...Interesting though: anything above ~ 87% has no effect on number of trees (at least I could not see it).

The slider is not just the number of the trees. It is both density and distance. If the far trees are hidden behind other trees you won't see a difference. Go to a hilly area with lots of far trees, open the settings menu and play with the slider (trees and grass can be adjusted in-game). If you click on the bar instead of moving the ball you will see the changes more abruptly and will notice you loose a chunk of trees at 90%. They are far enough that it's not super noticeable, but 90% will take me from for example 74fps to 71... ie not worth it as the improved realism of trees as far as the eye can see is way more significant.

Rather than forcing 100% trees on people who's systems have difficulty, the density and view distance should be independent settings. Then a server could force 80% distance with a minimum density of say 25% which would have less performance impact and yet still obstruct a significant amount of line of sight, especially at a distance.

Better than making units disappear with 0% trees which would probably bring in far more bug reports and problems than it would solve, there should simply be an option to use extremely low detail trees and have a minimum of say 25% on the tree slider. No shadows, single texture trees like the old ones, drawn in the same places with the same method as the new ones. Would probably have very little performance impact.

Helicopter pilots should be less concerned about trees and more concerned about how they look like a giant APC at long range. The LOD changes to a block too early in my opinion, and I swear I thought an APC was moving at incredible speed until I saw it go through trees and buildings and then I realized it was a closer helicopter.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

Not on the best rig here, but trees do not really seem to affect my performance on the Caucassus map in 2.5. Gotta say this speedtree tech is pretty cool.

• Like 1

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Not on the best rig here, but trees do not really seem to affect my performance on the Caucassus map in 2.5. Gotta say this speedtree tech is pretty cool.

That's why They call them SpeedTrees :D

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

agreed - saying we need crazy vid cards is misleading. i have my slider at 100% and no 1080ti here..:thumbup:

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

• 2 weeks later...
+1 but afaik you cannot shoot through trees now.

yes we can`t , but yesterday i got shot down by a sam. i saw the rockets flying through a lot of trees , low level, before hitting me.

so this might need some clarification

yes we can`t , but yesterday i got shot down by a sam. i saw the rockets flying through a lot of trees , low level, before hitting me.

so this might need some clarification

Well, AI helos etc fly trough them so maybe there is lots of bugs left in impact calculations/los system.

I hope that ed fixes this and yes , trees wont eat lots of frames so i really hope that they can be forced on from server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]