Newbie and modules - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #1
Hunter

Default Newbie and modules

Hi peeps, going to collect my new pc today and I'm going to download dcs for the first time after watching tube videos over the last year. I've budgeted $140 for modules, so I'm getting FC3, Persian gulf and combined arms all in the sale, I've around $40 left so what should I buy? Also a bit of advice please, is aircraft carriers included in Persian gulf? Any other advice would be appreciated cheers guys.. Jim
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
Py

Tell us more about the type of flying you want to do for better suggestions.
A-A or A-G or multirole?
Modern/older/WW2?
Helicopters?
Simple or complex?

FC3 gives a bunch of planes but they are simplified, personally I think high-fidelity modules are much more interesting.
Combined arms is also very limited.
If you've watched plenty of videos and know what you're getting then ok, but that's not what I'd recommend.

Aircraft carriers are included in the base game, only the "coming soon" high fidelity carrier is a paid extra.
Py is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
MrDieing

Get one of the big ticket modules if you want to have a real taste of what DCS can offer. So that would be the Hornet, Viper, Hog or Tomcat. It will keep you more then occupied for the coming time if you are a beginner. I'd also recommend against buying CA as a beginner, it does not add that much value.
Years ago, when half the stuff we have now was a wish list. We just posted about rain effects, different seasons. We talked about different maps and aircraft. Now we have most of it, we have all this "elitist" come in that just want to post about what they deserve and what they are entitle to because they pay. They just keep crying and whining how horrible DCS is and how much they got robbed. They keep taking my shiny toy and trowing it in the trash because is not good enough for them.
MrDieing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
Darcaem

+1 againts CA.

I started with FC3, learning the basics, and after 4 months or so the Harrier came out and was my first full fidelity. I'm glad of doing that because I might have been overwhelmed.

Unless you are 100% about CA, I would recommend buying the FA18 instead or any other as suggested before

Edit: I do own CA and is a good addition to have, but not a priority for me definitely

Enviado desde mi POCOPHONE F1 mediante Tapatalk
Darcaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
streakeagle

I would definitely get FC3. I agree with the others: I wouldn't make CA a priority, better to get another high fidelity aircraft module.

If you don't mind the missing/broken features, the F/A-18C is module I would recommend if you can only afford to get one. It is incredibly easy to operate despite all the MFDs with their endless menus. It has decent power and excellent agility for dogfighting. It is also a very capable ground attack aircraft (or will be as features are added/fixed). It can operate from aircraft carriers.

But the thing is, these aircraft are modeled to a very high level of detail. So, it can take a lot of time and effort to really learn any one aircraft. Pick an aircraft you really like and are willing to spend that time and effort learning. If you have no preference, the Hornet is probably the best choice. But if you love the F-16 or MiG-21 or the AJS-37, etc., pick one you love over what someone else says is the best. But read up on the bugs/problems before buying a module to make sure you won't be disappointed.

If you have some extra cash at some point and have even the slightest interest in flying helos, the UH-1H is pure joy to fly and even better in VR. The Mi-8 is a lot more complex, but is also really fun to fly/operate.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #6
dawgie79

I would throw in an extra 20 and get the Hornet.
dawgie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
BIGNEWY
ED Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Hi peeps, going to collect my new pc today and I'm going to download dcs for the first time after watching tube videos over the last year. I've budgeted $140 for modules, so I'm getting FC3, Persian gulf and combined arms all in the sale, I've around $40 left so what should I buy? Also a bit of advice please, is aircraft carriers included in Persian gulf? Any other advice would be appreciated cheers guys.. Jim
Hi Hunter, welcome to the forum.

Just to add to some already good advice.

Carriers are included in DCSWorld, if you want to work off a carrier a F/A-18C module or the SU-33 which is part of FC3 is ideal.

It seems like you have done your research and have already picked some great modules and terrains. If you have enough try maybe the F-5E which is a good starting point for full fidelity modules.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2019, 07:25 PM   #8
Hunter

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated, I've downloaded the dcs last night and having some issues with the x56 hotas the throttle can't be mapped in settings for some reason and it seems to be conflicting with the stick, the top silver hat on my throttle stick seems to be the throttle but when I move the throttle sticks the stick on screen goes crazy and mucks the frog up, and another is I can't get full screen on my 29 inch lg ultra wide. I'm thinking of getting the Tom cat or the hornet instead of the CA which I can just get later. Again any advice and criticism is welcome. Thanks guys
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:45 AM   #9
Tiramisu

The Tomcat is awesome... unless you are not an experienced pilot. In that case I would advice you to get the Hornet. It has interesting flight behaviors, a noob-friendly fly-by-wire-system and a lot of functionality. Go get it!
Tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #10
Svsmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated, I've downloaded the dcs last night and having some issues with the x56 hotas the throttle can't be mapped in settings for some reason and it seems to be conflicting with the stick, the top silver hat on my throttle stick seems to be the throttle but when I move the throttle sticks the stick on screen goes crazy and mucks the frog up, and another is I can't get full screen on my 29 inch lg ultra wide. I'm thinking of getting the Tom cat or the hornet instead of the CA which I can just get later. Again any advice and criticism is welcome. Thanks guys
Have you checked your x56 in the Windows Controller utility ?

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote