Looking to develop a TARGET profile for F-16 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 02:04 AM   #1
AKA_Clutter

Default Looking to develop a TARGET profile for F-16

Hi,

I would like to develop a TARGET profile for the F-16 simply because I want to program vPress to talk and VR functions.

Any good text or profiles to detect a short press or a long press of a button.

Also, since ED did some direct mapping of functions to the HOTAS, how do you remove that so there aren't conflicts?

TIA

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.8 GHz, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift CV1, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.
AKA_Clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Weegie

I could be teaching my granny here

But short press/long press function is available as a standard command with the programming editor, but not the TARGET GUI

The command is TEMPO and the duration for long press altered through that command

The editor looks a lot more complicated than it is in reality, although it is very choosy about syntax. Read the TARGET Script Editor basics and you'll get a good idea how it works pretty quickly

I'm just starting to make a profile for the Viper but it will take a while and I prefer to concentrate on Nav and comms so it won't be much use to the majority

Sgt Coyle will be along soon he knows way more than me and will probably help you out with some scripting examples

As far as getting rid of the embedded maps that come as standard you can just use the Clear Category command, highlight a box in the controller you want to clear and push that button
Weegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
AKA_Clutter

Your granny? No, but maybe your grandpa!

I though it would probably have to be through the scripting.

Do you know if you can start a profile in the GUI and then switch to the script editor. I know you can't go the other way around.

As for the embedded maps, when I looked Thursday night, I could have sworn they weren't under the TM -joystick column. They were last night so I think I have that sorted.

Thanks for the responses.

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.8 GHz, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift CV1, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
SGT Coyle

I was thinking of posting a simple tutorial. Look for it tomorrow.
No way to go from GUI to SE AFAIK. Same for SE to GUI.

Last edited by SGT Coyle; 10-06-2019 at 11:31 PM.
SGT Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:37 AM   #5
AKA_Clutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Coyle View Post
I was thinking of posting a simple tutorial. Look for it tomorrow.
No way to go from GUI to SE AFAIK. Same for SE to GUI.
Looking forward to it.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
Weegie

I think you can go from GUI to Script Editor, I'm sure I've done it in the past

It's not really a great approach as the GUI is kinda verbose, but if you are totally new to scripting then it will provide a template and you can take it from there, hacking the script around and trying stuff

I know Sgt Coyle isn't keen on it, but as I recall it's how I got started scripting. Personally I don't think it's a bad way to get started, although I do agree that once you get up and running with the SE it's just easier to start in the SE.

So make your commands up in the GUI then you need to run it. After you run it TM will make a script for it

TM hides this stuff away and the Scrpts are kept in Users/"Yourname"/AppData/Roaming/Thrustmaster/TARGET/Scripts (as I recall). You may have to use the Viiew command, at the top of File Explorer to click the Checkbox "View Hidden Items" if you cannot see the AppData folder. The Scrpits have the file handle .tmc, the GUI Maps, only used by the GUI are .fcf

I'd move the script somewhere else (or as a minimum rename it) then use the SE, if you don't and accidently open the GUI again and run it from there it will get overwritten with whatever is in the GUI.

I keep all my SE scripts separate from anything that was created by the GUI for that very reason

Go on, ask me how I know

Last edited by Weegie; 10-07-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Weegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
Ant0ine

We can indeed go from GUI to SE. Clic on VIEW SCRIPT then copy past the whole in a new Target Script Editor - script.
Ant0ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
Glow

Why don't you just read a manual for Warthog Script Editor?

In GUI you can see a script code, copy it and edit. I did not try to go other way, but I believe it is possible. A piece by piece and you will copy some basic things, other more advanced things are not possible to move that way - that's why is better spend time to learn ow to use script editor.

Once you start script in TARGET you will have new virtual usb device - no need to re-move settings from DCS. Warthog joy and throttle usb will disappears for the time of TARGET script run on a new virtual device.

About F16 profile for TARGET. I'm trying to make my head around this but my approach is to simulate a real thing not to add some extras for use vr, etc.

I'm looking for information about F16 and I found in this manual from Warthog:

page 14:
Quote:
RotateDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, DX_Y_AXIS, 5) //simulate 5^ twisted side stick like F-16
Now I'm looking for real information about that.

Other thing I'm trying to achieve in TARGET is to have few switchable curves for for my F16 like it was in Saitek X65F. This It's easy, described in manual, but I would like to go further and do a dynamic curve and adjustable dynamic offset point.

I just wonder if someone haven't try to do this already?

Last edited by Glow; 10-07-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #9
TWC_Alamo

Default F16C Target Profile for VR

If you want to just get up flying the Viper in VR instead of spending hours figuring out TARGET scripting and then programming your own profile, why not just load up HomeFries's (HF) TARGET profiles. He has just added the F16C to the list of supported a/c.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116454

HF has spent years developing these profiles, they do a lot and they support all the DCS a/c. He has programmed in support for Voice Attack/VAICOM, simple radio and other communication programs as well as support for VR. HF is very responsive in squashing bugs and bringing out new profiles when DCS launches new modules. He had the F16C available less than a week after the F16C early release. Also the profiles are FREE. I have been using them for years and highly recommend them.

YMMV, so I appreciate the fact that you might get more joy out of programming your own profile than flying DCS and of course you will learn a lot in doing so.

TWC_Alamo
Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim
I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim
I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals
TWC_Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #10
Sn8ke_iis

TARGET has it's own GUI as has for some time. That guy's scripts are unnecessarily complex and you have to download a separate GUI. Better to just do it yourself in the TARGET GUI and tweak the scripts as needed. It's pretty simple actually. You will actually learn the controls and systems that way too. I have a standard layout for views, comms, kneeboard, track IR/VR center etc. in a layer that I use on all aircraft. It actually expedites jumping in and learning a new module. Just set the axis and go. You can alt tab over into TARGET and add button presses as needed as you train and learn the functions. It aids retention.

The TARGET GUI is also much more intuitive than DCS's native spreadsheet layout. If you have trouble learning the TARGET GUI you are going to have trouble learning avionics and systems in DCS in general.

Pit:
Samsung Q6FN 65" 4K|TrackIR 5|Sennheiser PC 363D headphones|HP Reverb Pro|Realsim FSSB|TM Warthog HOTAS w/Rainman curved extension, MFDs|Vipergear IPC|Buddyfox UFC| Saitek Throttle Quad, Trim Wheel|MFG Pedals|Playseat Flightseat| Monstertech HOTAS mount|Gametrix Jetseat
Sn8ke_iis is offline   Reply With Quote