42GB Update

51GRIZZLY

Anything less than 500gb is a waste of time nowadays. I would strongly suggest 1Tb at least to be honest. Not cheap, but the reality is you can spend that money now, or you can buy something less and just have to replace it...Ultimately spending more money than you would have just buying it from the jump.

Not really ... as the price of SSD disks is going down over time, purchasing much more capacity than you actually need can be costlier than replacing your older smaller drives when needed.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I live in one of the oldest small villages in Scotland. In the historical town centre it’s not quite as easy just to start lifting the road up to throw some fibre optics cables down it. Unfortunately.

I am only allowed 50 gig per month in total usage. So I will have to close my hand, quit the game and move on. :(

At least I can play around offline.

I'm sorry for being blunt, try not go get offended.

I am unsure why this needs a forum post when common sense would have come into play here, during a beta or even a fully released games still get small and large patches, there will be files added and removed during patches etc, updates like this one will only continue to get bigger as more modules become available also modules you have install on your SSD will take up a lot of room and also having maps on it also, so it comes down to whether you only fly certain aircraft leave them installed and removed the ones you are less likely too use or just bite the bullet and buy a better hard-drive you will future proof yourself buying a larger capacity SSD anyway.

My system specification

i7 13700KF/ Z690 Aorus Elite/ 32GB/ Galax 4080/ ViewSonic Elite XG320Q 32/ Next level racing - Sim cockpit - Boeing editing / 3x MFD's, Trackir 5/ TPR/ Orion2 F/A-18 Throttle/VPC WarBRD Base/ Hornet grip/F-16 grip/ HP Reverb G2

:thumbup:

This should all be a moot point.

If you have insufficient space on your main drive, the updater should prompt you for another location to download the update files. This can be on another hard drive.

The updater will download the files, patch the game, then delete the temporary files. I had to do this myself for this update, as others have mentioned, it's quite large when unpacked. With everything finished, my DCS installation is 174GB which includes every map and almost every module.

I am only allowed 50 gig per month in total usage. So I will have to close my hand, quit the game and move on. :(

At least I can play around offline.

1, I'm pretty sure the people saying it's 20GB that unpacks to 40GB are right, and

2/ try - On the last day of your billing period, start the download and at the point where you finish your quota, break the connection. Next day start again and it should just pick up where it left off

Cheers.

1, I'm pretty sure the people saying it's 20GB that unpacks to 40GB are right, and

2/ try - On the last day of your billing period, start the download and at the point where you finish your quota, break the connection. Next day start again and it should just pick up where it left off

Those Microsoft Windows 10 downloads can take up 20%-30% of my monthly bandwidth allowance! I am looking into buying extra gigs each month. A 10 gig "bucket" costs $10 each. Tough on an old pensioner. But, a guy needs a few vices. The price I pay for living in Paradise.

Well it turns out my download for 2.5.5 was only 2.5gb - what it unpacked to I don’t know. Which is odd as I have all the maps and most modules. So are lots of other people getting such large downloads I wonder

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

As i mentioned in my tread starter its a 240GB SSD exclusively for DCS/Eagle Dynamics. If not for 3 Maps and 8 modules 42GB would not have been a big deal but sooner or later additional updates and new modules would choke up the drive for good.

So i went to my local hardware store and got myself a 480GB SSD by Gigabyte (Kingston was sold out) and am now transferring the whole Caboodle, hoping that i won't have to by a 1T for at least another year "Fingers crossed":doh::lookaround:

I'm sorry for being blunt, try not go get offended.

I am unsure why this needs a forum post when common sense would have come into play here, during a beta or even a fully released games still get small and large patches, there will be files added and removed during patches etc, updates like this one will only continue to get bigger as more modules become available also modules you have install on your SSD will take up a lot of room and also having maps on it also, so it comes down to whether you only fly certain aircraft leave them installed and removed the ones you are less likely too use or just bite the bullet and buy a better hard-drive you will future proof yourself buying a larger capacity SSD anyway.

I will also be blunt:

Although I'm not a native English speaker, I take the liberty of telling you that you ought learn how to write understandable English. This is gibberish!

PS: try to not be offended!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I will also be blunt:

Although I'm not a native English speaker, I take the liberty of telling you that you ought learn how to write understandable English. This is gibberish!

It's Ok, it shows you're blunt, the grammar police are here. You think your petty comment would offend me? Lol

P.s would you like a tissue? :thumbup:

Edited by Gh0st007

My system specification

i7 13700KF/ Z690 Aorus Elite/ 32GB/ Galax 4080/ ViewSonic Elite XG320Q 32/ Next level racing - Sim cockpit - Boeing editing / 3x MFD's, Trackir 5/ TPR/ Orion2 F/A-18 Throttle/VPC WarBRD Base/ Hornet grip/F-16 grip/ HP Reverb G2

:thumbup:

I don't think so.

I started with a download which unpacked and installed and then the updater started to get a 40,797.6MB download which is taking FOREVER to finish downloading.

However, it is downloading faster using the Optional "HTTP" Method of downloading.

I'm sure I still have at least another hour of DL'ing before I'll be able to fly though.

The updater unpacks to a temporary location which needs an additional step to actually install, so 3 steps in total, I haven't yet figured out the technical reason for not unpack-installing directly.

1 download

2 unpack (same path as download dir)

3 install (move unpacked to DCS)

So every update takes ~30% longer than it could.

If this is needed, to speed it up, I suggested separating the download and unpack directory so you could specify a different storage device of equal specs or more which would double the speed or more for the unpacking process.

The unpack and install part are going half the speed they could if you don't specify another storage device in a config file, which is the default.

I didn't include hardlinks, because that external, has nothing to do with DCS, but you can probably do anything with that like I mentioned.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I will also be blunt:

There's nothing wrong with his post but there sure is with your attitude.

Buzz

The updater unpacks to a temporary location which needs an additional step to actually install, so 3 steps in total, I haven't yet figured out the technical reason for not unpack-installing directly.

1 download

2 unpack (same path as download dir)

3 install (move unpacked to DCS)

So every update takes ~30% longer than it could.

If this is needed, to speed it up, I suggested separating the download and unpack directory so you could specify a different storage device of equal specs or more which would double the speed or more for the unpacking process.

The unpack and install part are going half the speed they could if you don't specify another storage device in a config file, which is the default.

I didn't include hardlinks, because that external, has nothing to do with DCS, but you can probably do anything with that like I mentioned.

You can specify where you want download.

Odesláno z mého Mi A1 pomocí Tapatalk

Ryzen 9 5900x | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | 32GB RAM 

As an alternative....

Get another cheap 250GB SSD and RAID them into a Raid-0, that will yield 465GB usable space.

Not as elegant as a 1TB 970Pro....but way way cheaper.

*see my sig, the Raid-0 is my game drive

:D

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I know quite a few of us own multiple drives but those struggling with only one drive holding their OS and DCS should be aware they can recover quite a lot of free space by deleting previous versions of windows.

Edited by slicker55

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

Ok, explain this. When I made my earlier post I had 62gb for my whole install of DCS. I was on the stable version then and couldn't get the 2.5.5 update. All I had installed in 2.5.4 was the Hornet and Hog. No terrains.

So, I deleted it and installed a fresh install of Open Beta. When done I was on 2.5.5. I installed the Hornet and Hog again like on 2.5.4. My total install now is 66GB.

That means I only have 4GB more to get the 2.5.5 update. That makes no sense if you guys are saying the 2.5.5 is 42GB.

All I can think of is when adding 2.5.5 over the top of 2.5.4 it keeps a lot of the old files that really aren't needed anymore. When doing a clean install of Open Beta you get 2.5.5 but without the extra files that aren't needed.

How else can this be explained?

Buzz

Ed could look into cleaning their install up ....160 gigs is a tad much

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS install is only 62GB. If i'm not using a plane or terrain. I don't install it. I'm not buying a new SSD for DCS. I'll go fly another sim before I do that.

Looking at the current prices for SSDs in comparisson to what games + DLCs cost today, this might indeed be the more expensive alternative.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Looking at the current prices for SSDs in comparisson to what games + DLCs cost today, this might indeed be the more expensive alternative.

When I posted that I hadn't tried 2.5.5. Now that I have it installed it only added 4GB to my install of DCS. I still have 82GB left on my 240GB SSD. I'm good for a while.

Buzz