RED FLAG - AV-8B Harrier Mission by Sedlo

WELCOME TO RED FLAG

Welcome to Red Flag Mission 1. My goal in creating this mission is to simulate a realistic air to ground Red Flag mission for RAZBAM’s AV-8B Harrier NA. In order to fly this mission successfully, you’ll need to execute critical tasks, from hitting your timing points to low level flying to possible air to air combat.

Make sure to read and familiarize yourself with the mission briefing and what’s expected of you before you enter the mission. Things can happen fast in the air, so better to prepare on the ground!

This mission features a ton of voice overs, challenging situations and custom triggers and scripts that should help make the experience memorable.

Good Luck!

Download Link:https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3215738/

Mission Briefing and Charts: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9tls6jskc2jpd96/AACmkhhnpZtWxTxE5IoLhW4la?dl=0

SITUATION

Last week, Red Army forces began to move combat units close to the Blue border, in clear violation of the UN Security Council resolution 354. This, along with frequent Red Air Force violations into the DMZ area, have led Blue leadership to realize that a Red attack is imminent.

Today, Blue forces will preemptively strike the Red Forces staging near the DMZ. The attack will consist of several AV-8B and F/A-18 strikes upon Red Command and Control facilities adjacent to the border, plus SEAD strikes against SAM, AAA and EWR sites. Aiding this effort will be several flight of F-15 and F/A-18 fighters to take care of any hostile airborne responses.

Blue forces will have AWACS, tanker and jamming support on this mission, which will be orbiting to the East.

THREATS

Red Army and Air forces are on a high state of alert.

• SA-10, SA-8, SA-3 AND SA-6 radar guided SAMs are all located adjacent to the DMZ.

• MANPADS and AAA threats exist throughout the AO.

• Hostile MiG activity has been heavy consisting of MiG-29, SU-27s (simulated by F-15 and F-16s of the 65th Aggressors and the 6513th TEF)

YOUR MISSION

Dodge 1 Flight will be targeting a Red Command and Control Bunker located at NB 67587 40715 in Range 74B, utilizing a low level, high speed run into a pop up, MK-83 bombing attack. You will only be making one pass, then egressing northeast at high speed and low altitude.

[TABLE]DODGE 1 AV-8B STRIKE SOUTH CCC

DODGE 2 F/A-18C STRIKE NORTH CCC

FORD 1 F-15C SOUTH FIGHTER SWEEP

FORD 2 F-15C NORTH FIGHTER SWEEP

FORD 5 F-15C EGRESS FIGHTER SWEEP

PONTIAC 1 F/A-18C SOUTH SEAD

PONTIAC 2 F/A-18C NORTH SEAD

ARCO 11 KC-130 MARINE/NAVY REFUEL

DARKSTAR E-3C AWACS

VACCUUM EC-130 COMM/JAMM

SHOWTIME RED FLAG AIRBOSS

ALLEYCAT RED FLAG RANGE CONTROL[/TABLE]

NAVIGATION LOG

[TABLE]WAYPOINT NAME/ACTION NOTES

1 DEPARTURE FLEX DEPARTURE RWY 03R

2 FLEX NOT ABOVE 4000 MSL

3 SALLY CORRIDOR ENTRY

4 REFUEL TRACK REFUEL W/ARCO 11 295.4

5 MARSHALL

6 PUSH POINT PUSH TIME 16:45

7 NAV POINT BEGIN LOW LEVEL, 440 KIAS

8 TURN POINT LOW LEVEL 480 KTS

9 NAV POINT LOW LEVEL 480 KTS

10 INITIAL POINT POP UP ATTACK

11 TARGET TARGET (IR THREAT, USE FLARES)

12 EGRESS LOW LEVEL 480 KTS

13 NAV POINT LOW LEVEL 480 KTS

14 NAV POINT, EXIT COMBAT BEGIN CLIMB TO CRUISE

15 APEX CONTACT TOWER

16 NELLIS AFB LAND (OVERHEAD BREAK 21L)[/TABLE]

CODE WORDS

EXTRA BUTTER – SEAD PUSH TIME (16:43)

EXTRA LEGROOM – FIGHTER PUSH TIME (16:44)

EXTRA ADVENTURE – STRIKER PUSH TIME (16:45)

FIESTA COORS – MISSION COMPLETE RTB

NOTES ABOUT WAYPOINTS

• This mission is trigger based and these triggers rely on you overflying your waypoints to trigger the next event.

• Fly runway heading until north of the Racetrack, not above 4000msl until waypoint 2.

• Upon reaching waypoint 3 you will be pushed to ALLEYCAT

• You must decide whether to aerial refuel prior to the push, or go without. This question will be asked of you by ALLEYCAT between waypoint 3 and 4. Answer via the Radio Menu F10 Other option. (I have flown this mission without air to air refuelling and there is JUST enough gas, but you need to be very conservative with the throttle. I recommend tanking!)

• Be at the Push Point (Waypont 6) on time (16:45) and start a descent to low level. Maintain at least 440 KIAS!

• Be at very low level by the time you reach Highway. From waypoint 7, ensure you are flying low and at least 480 KIAS.

• Waypoint 9 is where you will be turning south towards the target. Use the mountains to mask yourself from the Red Air Defenses.

• Approaching the target, Pontiac 1 flight is tasked with destroying the SA-8 adjacent to the bunker. If this SA-8 is still active for your run in, you may have to take it out with your SIDEARM.

• Utilize a pop up attack to bomb the bunker. Ensure that you pull out of the resultant dive at least 1000agl. MANPADs are expected around the target, so liberal use of flares and evasive manoeuvres is recommended.

• Egress the target at high speed towards waypoint 12.

• Remember, it’s important to overfly each and every one of your waypoints, unless directed to do something else. This mission is trigger based, and relies on you to navigate to these points to trigger the next event.

• DO NOT CHANGE THE WEAPONS LOADOUT! Mission functionality requires you to fly with what you’re given.

COMMS

[TABLE]CHANNEL FREQ USE

1 287.8 AIR TO AIR / AWACS

2 289.4 KLSV CLND

3 275.8 KLSV GROUND

4 327 KLSV TOWER

5 385.4 KLSV DEPARTURE

6 273.55 KLSV ARRIVAL

7 317.525 SALLY CNTRL

8 254.4 LEE CNTRL

9 305.6 SOF

10 343.725 SFA

11 270.1 KLSV ATIS

12 360.625 KINS TOWER

13 234.325 COYOTE

14 289.3 CALIENTE

15 228 RANGE 74

16 363.9 RANGE 75

17 238.8 ALAMO

18 231.1 JUICE

19 261.1 DREAMLAND APPROACH

20 300.05 HAVE QUICK TOD

21 377.8 BLACKJACK

22 257.8 KLAS TOWER

23 122.1 FLIGHTWATCH

24 123.3 RENO FSS

25 255.4 RENO FSS

26 226.1 CREECH SOF

[/TABLE]

NOTES ABOUT COMMS

Most communications with air traffic control and mission elements are scripted in the mission, and do not need any intervention by the players in order to work. Do not use the default ATC comm menus in the game.

There are two instances in the mission where you will need to use the Radio Menu / F10 Other menu to make a choice.

• The first will be somewhere between waypoint 3 and 4, when ALLEYCAT will inquire as to whether you would like to do aerial refuelling prior to the push time, or not.

• The second time will occur when/if you are complete with the air to air refuelling when you’ll need to use the Radio Menu / F10 Other option to contact AWACS when you depart the tanker.

You CAN use the standard radio menu items to:

• Contact Darkstar (AWACS)

• Contact ARCO 11 (air refuelling tanker)

• Command your Wingman

Besides the examples above, you will not need to use the radio menu to contact ATC or other mission elements. These will happen at certain times or when you pass certain waypoints.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:

Voice overs kindly provided by:

TheHoneyBadger

T-Money

The MagnificientKO

Spudknocker

Edited by Sedlo

Hey Sedlo!

Thanks a lot for another mission! Seems like you improve them everytime! I am currently away from home and will try it first thing when I come back in a few week.

Just a question; what does the push in push 1645 means? Also, depending on how long the AAR takes, if I get earlier than 1645 to the point, what would be a real world procedure? Do an orbit before the point?

Thank

Billy

The push time is the time you depart waypoint 6 and proceed inbound to the target. If you're finished and you're running early, do some orbits in the area to kill some time.

Cheers, and enjoy the mission!

Hey Sedlo!

Just a question; what does the push in push 1645 means? Also, depending on how long the AAR takes, if I get earlier than 1645 to the point, what would be a real world procedure? Do an orbit before the point?

Thank

Billy

Great fun and immersion. Thanks Sedlo!

Looking forward to flying your next creation.

Will

i9-9900K 3.6(Running at 5.0 GHZ) 32GB Memory

2x M.2 drives

Win 10 64bit

RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra

OCULUS RIFT CV1

VKB Gunfighter 2 extended/TM Pedals/TM Warthog throttles.

Hi Sedo,

Another great immersive mission.

I have a question:

- I installed the latest patch

- I started the mission. All was good

- I did refuel and after the refueling, it seemed like the engine had no more full thrust and bleeded the airspeed and cashed as i couldn't have enough power to go up.

Did anyone experienced it ?

Just flew the mission with the latest patch. Asides from no 3d buildings on NTTR, I haven't experienced that engine issue. I suspect you may have had the engine at too high RPM for too long. Best to cruise in the high 80's, and don't go much above 97% for any prolonged amount of time. Max continuous thrust is 102%.

Hi Sedo,

Another great immersive mission.

I have a question:

- I installed the latest patch

- I started the mission. All was good

- I did refuel and after the refueling, it seemed like the engine had no more full thrust and bleeded the airspeed and cashed as i couldn't have enough power to go up.

Did anyone experienced it ?

Just flew the mission with the latest patch. Asides from no 3d buildings on NTTR, I haven't experienced that engine issue. I suspect you may have had the engine at too high RPM for too long. Best to cruise in the high 80's, and don't go much above 97% for any prolonged amount of time. Max continuous thrust is 102%.

Thanks, It was it :(:doh:

Congrats again for the mission. Very well done !!!

best,

Cobra

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

RED FLAG - AV-8B EDITION UPDATED JANUARY 1, 2018!

Hello folks!

I've made a MAJOR update to the Red Flag AV-8B Harrier Red Flag Misison. Version 1.21 has updated the mission from the bottom up, to include new threats, new triggers, new realistic radio communications, plus new additional audio and outstanding custom kneeboads. The scenarios are real, the immersion is intense!

Download here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3215738/

H_title_2.jpg

Downloading, so far only tried the CF-18 version.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Well, I just flew the mission. Missed the push time for some seconds. Good fun around the AO with the winds, CAPs and SAMs. Plenty of action.

This time, I bombed the right target. Hearing the Extra Coors call over the net made me yell.

Back to Nellis, overhead and crashed lol

I haven´t flown the Harrier in a good while, so...

Great fun, great mission.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Just curious how many folks who have flown this mission elected not to refuel air to air? Did you find that you had enough gas to make it back?

Today I did not refuel and came back with enough gas (+3000) I guess. I flew around 320-360 inbound for Marshall point, and bombing run about 430.

Coming home at 350.

Last night flying the Hornet version, I think you changed the initial load of fuel than in previous versions, I got back to Nellis with about 1200-600 pounds left.

I played through the mission last night and really enjoyed it - thank you so much for spending the time to create it and for sharing it. It really did remind me of real life Red Flag missions all those years ago (back in the '90s for me). I didn't bother with the tanker but took a leisurely cruise up to the hold and it worked out well - the hold and the build up of anticipation waiting for the push especially reminded me of the real life deal, with other formations floating around near 'student gap', and all the chatter with the leading formations.

Really glad you enjoyed it, burritto! That's exactly what I was aiming for in putting this one together and I'm really happy that you found it immersive.

Thanks!

I played through the mission last night and really enjoyed it - thank you so much for spending the time to create it and for sharing it. It really did remind me of real life Red Flag missions all those years ago (back in the '90s for me). I didn't bother with the tanker but took a leisurely cruise up to the hold and it worked out well - the hold and the build up of anticipation waiting for the push especially reminded me of the real life deal, with other formations floating around near 'student gap', and all the chatter with the leading formations.

• 1 month later...

Re-played the mission this evening.

No refuel, push time correct-ish, bombs on target, fox 2 denied by enemy flares...

Then I thought it would be a great idea climbing and turning hard with 2 (empty) bags of fuel, cannon pod, and an asymetric load of Sidewinders.

Crashed with no dignity, lol

• 2 months later...

cool mission sedlo, very immersive, really enjoyed it

how is progress on your f18 campaign going?

Hey FD!

It’s going well, I’ve got three missions 100% complete, about five of them that are complete just missing voiceovers, and the rest are somewhere between 50 and 80%

Still waiting for targeting pod, Harpoon, and some of the other weapons to be released so I can finish some of the missions.

Cheers!

Hey FD!

It’s going well, I’ve got three missions 100% complete, about five of them that are complete just missing voiceovers, and the rest are somewhere between 50 and 80%

Still waiting for targeting pod, Harpoon, and some of the other weapons to be released so I can finish some of the missions.

Cheers!

cool, looking forward to it

btw, just played the f18 variant of your mission, looks like waypoint 15 is missing in the F18C version (in the AV8 mission its there)

again, thx for fantastic missions

That has to do with the way the sequence works on the way points. It will only show the first 14.

Deselect sequence and WP15 should be there.

cool, looking forward to it

btw, just played the f18 variant of your mission, looks like waypoint 15 is missing in the F18C version (in the AV8 mission its there)

again, thx for fantastic missions