ED release schedule chit chat - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
Dudikoff

Reputation power: 31
Dudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of lightDudikoff is a glorious beacon of light
Default ED release schedule chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek View Post
With each day that passes, a 2017 release gets less likely. There's your estimate.
I'm just curious how far off is the Hornet early access release to see if it's worth to get the AV-8B now or not.

Not really a Harrier fan, but if the Hornet and the Tomcat are like 6 months away, I could certainly get some use out of it by the time they're out.
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1 btn 2 axis gameport joystick, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are absolutely useless. Just passing time till DCS: F-14..

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by BIGNEWY; 11-19-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:15 AM   #2
cichlidfan
Veteran

Reputation power: 115
cichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
I'm just curious how far off is the Hornet early access release to see if it's worth to get the AV-8B now or not.

Not really a Harrier fan, but if the Hornet and the Tomcat are like 6 months away, I could certainly get some use out of it by the time they're out.
I would buy it. The Tomcat is a long way off and the Hornet is going to be so badly crippled on release that it doesn't matter.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #3
Buzzles

Reputation power: 14
Buzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33-DFTC View Post
Keeping us informed is great, but I'd appreciate even more if they were meaningful. Today's update was anecdotic at best ; I'll keep waiting.
Better an update with not a lot in it, then how it used to be with ED going silent for months until they actually had things to say.

That said, I'm pretty sure weekly updates could be dropped to every other week so they have more time to work on content.
Buzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:20 AM   #4
Kayos

Reputation power: 11
Kayos has a spectacular aura aboutKayos has a spectacular aura aboutKayos has a spectacular aura aboutKayos has a spectacular aura aboutKayos has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan View Post
The Tomcat is a long way off
What makes you think this. Last we heard from them early access would be before the end of the year.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:00 AM   #5
cichlidfan
Veteran

Reputation power: 115
cichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos View Post
What makes you think this. Last we heard from them early access would be before the end of the year.
Cobra's statement is what makes me think so. Check their historical accuracy regarding dates for anything from an update to a release. I think their work is quite good but their prognostication skills are abysmal.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
AG-51_Razor

Reputation power: 9
AG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the rough

I wonder......do y'all think that ED or any of the 3rd party studios would schedule the timing of a release based on what else is possibly due to be released? What I mean by this is, do you suppose that there might be a conscious decision made on the part of Wags, Zeus or Cobra to string out the release of their products in order to get more sales for each one? Is that just too Machiavellian of them?? NAH!!
Old 11-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #7
NeilWillis
Veteran

Reputation power: 20
NeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really nice

ED have the final say on when products go to market I suspect, and no doubt all developers are involved in the decision making process.

I suspect however that what determines release dates is having the product in a sufficiently complete condition. I also suspect that following past experience, they will be insisting that the modules are much closer to complete before entering closed testing prior to release.

My conclusion is therefore that it is never as simple as we think, and that there are a lot of factors governing launch dates, not the least of which is development progress. I can't see that ED would choose to allow another developer to get their product out first - as in the AV-8B and F/A-18C race. It stands to reason that the first to the market would get most sales. So I have a feeling there is still a first come, first served reality to releases.
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
AG-51_Razor

Reputation power: 9
AG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the roughAG-51_Razor is a jewel in the rough

While my comment was more or less tongue in cheek, you have not only contradicted yourself, I believe that you have made my point.

"My conclusion is therefore that it is never as simple as we think, and that there are a lot of factors governing launch dates, not the least of which is development progress. I can't see that ED would choose to allow another developer to get their product out first - as in the AV-8B and F/A-18C race. It stands to reason that the first to the market would get most sales. So I have a feeling there is still a first come, first served reality to releases."

My point is, maybe ED has more control over the release process than we think and may well decide, not necessarily which module is released first, but rather, when the next one comes out. The proximity of the release of subsequent modules probably has quite an impact on the sales of each one. I think that we have to keep in mind that this is a serious business for all of the developers and this aspect of it is very important to them. I am not criticizing them for it either, I am just pointing out the possibility of this being one more criteria for the decision to release and when.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #9
Silver_Dragon
ED Translator

Reputation power: 44
Silver_Dragon is a name known to allSilver_Dragon is a name known to allSilver_Dragon is a name known to allSilver_Dragon is a name known to allSilver_Dragon is a name known to allSilver_Dragon is a name known to allSilver_Dragon is a name known to allSilver_Dragon is a name known to allSilver_Dragon is a name known to allSilver_Dragon is a name known to allSilver_Dragon is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Silver_Dragon

We need think meanwhile ED don't confirm a module has on internal test and we start to see teasers / promo videos, interviews, internal tester review (approved by ED), a module will have very far away to a "preliminary release". Tomcat and other has out of discussion, surely we can see some news on December or early 2018, but a "release", actually has very difficult or get us some "surprise" news.

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=104115
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Spanish 4Th Perrus Squadon Member: http://www.4thperrus.com
Silver_Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #10
NeilWillis
Veteran

Reputation power: 20
NeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really niceNeilWillis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG-51_Razor View Post
While my comment was more or less tongue in cheek, you have not only contradicted yourself, I believe that you have made my point.

"My conclusion is therefore that it is never as simple as we think, and that there are a lot of factors governing launch dates, not the least of which is development progress. I can't see that ED would choose to allow another developer to get their product out first - as in the AV-8B and F/A-18C race. It stands to reason that the first to the market would get most sales. So I have a feeling there is still a first come, first served reality to releases."

My point is, maybe ED has more control over the release process than we think and may well decide, not necessarily which module is released first, but rather, when the next one comes out. The proximity of the release of subsequent modules probably has quite an impact on the sales of each one. I think that we have to keep in mind that this is a serious business for all of the developers and this aspect of it is very important to them. I am not criticizing them for it either, I am just pointing out the possibility of this being one more criteria for the decision to release and when.
How do you read what I said as a contradiction?

I was stating - very clearly indeed - that there is no evidence that ED are "conspiring" to order the releases according to any agenda apart from when it's ready, it's ready. Unike your tongue in cheek comment which was completely obscure, my statements were both complimentary, and built on each other to build an interpretation of a picture namely - 1. The AV-8B is on presale before the F/A-18C - there is clearly a benefit to releasing first in the fact that people with limited finds would be drawn to buy the first released. Ergo, the evidence suggests that there is no pre-planned release schedule.

Is that not clear enough for you?
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote