How do you guys deal with the ZU-23-2?

Precog

I'm not talking about the mobile ZSU-23-4, but the non-mobile version that are almost impossible to see and don't come up on your RWR. They are deadly because unless a JTAC or someone warns you about them you have no chance of seeing them. Even the muzzle flashes are hard to spot unless you are looking straight at it - I find the ZSU-23-4 much easier find and kill.

How do you guys find and dispatch this type of AA?

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, they are hard to spot. With the old graphics engine they stood out like a sore thumb. The new engine masks them with the higher degree of thermal variation. Most units are clustered in groups so look for that to begin with and then do a really comprehensive search that circles out from the initial point. I'm finding much more success now using CCD instead of thermal. I've been turning the contrast up and adjusting the brightness as necessary to make them easier to spot.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've read about guns similar to this hidden on rooftops in Iraq and Afghanistan, more of a problem down low and slow for the AH-64 apache in those situations, the A10 in these environments are not normally flying around this low and stay above the MANPAD threat, so out of range of these type of weapons.

Different story for the A10 in a cold war Europe environment, when you would need to keep low, the A10 was designed to face these threats and MANPADS head on down low, I guess you would rely on your wing man to spot the shots and mark the location or just take it out as quickly as possible, using track IR, I just extend and don't take my eyes off the location, throw down the spi / mark point using the HUD or straight to the gun, would come in handy to have Helmet Mounted Cueing System, such as in the new A10s to quickly mark the spot just by looking at it from any angle.wink.gif

This type of weapon would always be hard to find on anythe battlefield, most of the times in DCS, there sitting in the middle of a field, I would hide them in staggered / opposite treelines and set them to only fire when very close for a chance of a hit, especially if I knew there was going to be low flying aircraft around and also satellites or drones taking pictures of the area.

This Shilka would be quite hard to spot.:)

shilka2222.jpg

Edited by David OC
  • Like 1

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I'm not talking about the mobile ZSU-23-4, but the non-mobile version that are almost impossible to see and don't come up on your RWR. They are deadly because unless a JTAC or someone warns you about them you have no chance of seeing them. Even the muzzle flashes are hard to spot unless you are looking straight at it - I find the ZSU-23-4 much easier find and kill.

With altitude. In case there is any kind of SAM or AAA, I am not flying over them under 10k feet. (13k, 14k depending if it's a SAM such as SA-9, SA-18).

If destruction of these units is possible before you enter the air space, it would be ideal. In case you don't know where they are, avoid the air space or fly at altitudes of 13k or above.

Here's another pic for you guy's, good video about tank camouflage and how effective it is.

Old training guide on Sim HQ that's a good read. Hog Basics: RAF Bentwaters Tactics Guide

This guide is more if you like to setup missions for the low down europe cold war environment.

Quote from the guide.

"So…for high threat, low altitude ops…plan on navigating at about 300’ and 300kias…in the attack itself, you can drop down to a lower altitude as conditions permit and push it up to max speed (but don’t hold your breath!). Think 300/300 and you’ll be OK! Now…back to the actual attacks…" End Quote.

h3.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I’m curious as to know why there is a random shadow on the ground appearing out of nowhere

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Sorry...but where is the Shukla you mention. I can't see it?

:)

I'm curious as to why there's a guys head floating among the trees in that picture.

I’m curious as to know why there is a random shadow on the ground appearing out of nowhere

:lol:

Eagerly anticipating DCS: Space Shuttle

If it's the only thread you are up against, you could fly an orbit around the suspected position and look out of you canopy. As soon as they fire, you pull a little harder to dodge the bullets and you know roughly where they are. Just remember the ground position and then give 'em hell...

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red